Mosby's Rangers Impression Help

Hey guys, I am starting reenacting and joining a group that does a Mosby's rangers impression. They have loaner gear, but I am just wondering what would be the most authentic uniform/kit/gear items for a mosby's rangers impression once the time comes to purchase my own gear. Any help is appreciated.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

captaindrew

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Hey guys, I am starting reenacting and joining a group that does a Mosby's rangers impression. They have loaner gear, but I am just wondering what would be the most authentic uniform/kit/gear items for a mosby's rangers impression once the time comes to purchase my own gear. Any help is appreciated.
Welcome to the hobby, hope you enjoy it and stick with it for a long time. I'm not a Mosby expert but I'm sure they had access to supplies from the Richmond Depot and evidenced by the photo below of some of Mosby's men it looks like the enlisted men are wearing depot issued jackets. I would recommend an untrimmed Richmond Depot type II jacket and depot issued trousers both made of jean clothe and a civilian slouch hat. That's also a very versatile kit with which you could fall in with any ANV unit, any branch, and any event from 62 on. Whatever you do don't load yourself up with yellow cavalry trim, it was very rare and that really narrows down your impression.
mosbys rangers.jpg

My first serious question is if you have joined a group reenacting Mosby Rangers, don't THEY already have knowledge of what you are asking for?

Kevin Dally