Member Review Mosby's Rangers by Jeffrey D. Wert

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (5).jpg

After chronicling the war in the Shenandoah Valley in his From Winchester to Cedar Creek: The Shenandoah Campaign of 1864 historian Jeffrey Wert next turned to one of the secondary players in that campaign, Col. John S. Mosby, and his 43rd Virginia Cavalry Battalion, later raised to regimental status in the waning days of the war and better known simply as Mosby's Rangers. This 1990 work, published by Simon & Schuster, was the first in many years to detail the remarkable career of Mosby and the success of his venture as a partisan or guerrilla leader working largely behind enemy lines. This 384-page work nicely sets forth the genesis, organization, structure, and activities of this unit, in which over 1900 men eventually served, though never in groups larger than 200-300 men, and often in much smaller formations their leader preferred in order to maintain necessary stealth, speed, and surprise.

Of course, in any work such as this, the primary focus is on the leader himself, John Singleton Mosby, although several of his principal lieutenants receive proper attention as well. I had often read bits or snippets of the history of Mosby and his men, but a major strength of Wert's book lies in sorting the often colorful episodes out, placing them in proper sequence and context with more mundane activities and the course of the war itself. Mosby began his activities as a raider in January, 1863, with a handful of cavalrymen "borrowed" from his friend and mentor Maj. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart, plus a growing number of volunteers, many from the area of Northern Virginia in which they operated. Mosby had previously impressed Stuart during the Peninsula Campaign as one of his most reliable scouts, and one who had helped a great deal during his famous Ride Around McClellan on the virginia Peninsula. Throughout Mosby's career and until Stuart's death in May, 1864, the Cavalier remained a firm supporter of the raider and his activities; interestingly, following Stuart's death Mosby took it upon himself to report directly to army commander Robert E. Lee, who was another of his admirers.

Wert carefully details the growth of Mosby's Raiders from a few borrowed troopers to a full regiment of eight companies and at each creation of another new formation introduces its captain; first-, second-, and third-lieutenants; and first sergeant, many of whom had previously served with distinction in the ranks or with other units. One of the most interesting of these was Sergeant James "Big Yankee" Ames, who was a deserter from the First Maine Cavalry who said he left following the Emancipation Proclamation because in his mind the war for the Union had become a war for the Negro. Ames quickly gained Mosby's trust and served faithfully until his death in action in late 1864. The Chapman brothers, Samuel and William, were two of Mosby's company commanders, William rising to lieutenant colonel leading his own battalion, while former battery commander Sam officered the mountain howitizers that occasionally served as the Rangers' artillery. William "Billy" Smith and Adolphus "Dolly" Richards were two more of Mosby's trusted company commanders who were often entrusted with separate commands, leading their own expeditions.

Author Wert also details the way in which partisan bands such as Mosby's operated, often remaining behind enemy lines for indefinite lengths of time and quartering in small groups in the "safe houses" of civilians sympathetic to their cause. This often led, however, to great hardship for their benefactors, as Federal patrols regularly made "sweeps" of the countryside gathering up Rangers whenever possible, and when this yielded few results they often took the citizenry instead who often found themselves confined to Washington's Old Capitol Prison for varying lengths. In early 1863 it seemed this system of partisan warfare offered another option for the struggling Confederacy, but by the following year, for various reasons it fell out-of-favor with the Richmond authorities and in Virginia only the bands led by Mosby and that of John McNeill in western Virginia continued to be sanctioned. Mosby himself remained in favor throughout any controversy, rising continually in rank from lieutenant to colonel; with each promotion his battalion also grew, eventually to the status of a full regiment.

The author has relied for the most part on standard sources but has done I think an outstanding job of weaving together the various strands of information into a seamless whole. However, I was amused to see that he acknowledged the help of someone who had to be a collector or reenactor "for introducing me to the workings of a .44 caliber Army Colt revolver" which he describes in detail in the text, unfortunately including "greasing the head of each bullet to reduce sparks..." while loading, a step unknown to period shooters. Happily, he does much better when describing the terrain of Northern Virginia that made up Mosby's Confederacy, assisted by the endpaper map of the ever-reliable Rafael Palacios; sixteen pages of photos and other illustrations also enliven the text. For any reader wishing a look at this darker side of the war, one often fought in the shadows, Wert's book would be a fine place to begin - highly recommended!

James N.

Last edited:
View attachment 166088

After chronicling the war in the Shenandoah Valley in his From Winchester to Cedar Creek: The Shenandoah Campaign of 1864 historian Jeffrey Wert next turned to one of the secondary players in that campaign, Col. John S. Mosby, and his 43rd Virginia Cavalry Battalion, later raised to regimental status in the waning days of the war and better known simply as Mosby's Rangers. This 1990 work, published by Simon & Schuster, was the first in many years to detail the remarkable career of Mosby and the success of his venture as a partisan or guerrilla leader working largely behind enemy lines. This 384-page work nicely sets forth the genesis, organization, structure, and activities of this unit, in which over 1900 men eventually served, though never in groups larger than 200-300 men, and often in much smaller formations their leader preferred in order to maintain necessary stealth, speed, and surprise.

Of course, in any work such as this, the primary focus is on the leader himself, John Singleton Mosby, although several of his principal lieutenants receive proper attention as well. I had often read bits or snippets of the history of Mosby and his men, but a major strength of Wert's book lies in sorting the often colorful episodes out, placing them in proper context with more mundane activities and the course of the war itself. Mosby began his activities as a raider in January, 1863, with a handful of cavalrymen "borrowed" from his friend and mentor Maj. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart, plus a growing number of volunteers, many from the area of Northern Virginia in which they operated. Mosby had previously impressed Stuart during the Peninsula Campaign as one of his most reliable scouts, and one who had helped a great deal during his famous Ride Around McClellan. Throughout Mosby's career and until Stuart's death in may, 1864, the Cavalier remained a firm supporter of the raider and his activities; interestingly, following Stuart's death Mosby took it upon himself to report directly to army commander Robert E. Lee, who was another of his admirers.

Wert carefully details the growth of Mosby's Raiders from a few borrowed troopers to a full regiment of eight companies and at each creation of another new formation introduces its captain; first-, second-, and third-lieutenants; and first sergeant, many of whom had previously served with distinction in the ranks or with other units. One of the most interesting of these was Sergeant James "Big Yankee" Ames, who was a deserter from the First Maine Cavalry who said he left following the Emancipation Proclamation because in his mind the war for the Union had become a war for the Negro. Ames quickly gained Mosby's trust and served faithfully until his death in action in late 1864. The Chapman brothers, Samuel and William, were two of Mosby's company commanders, William rising to lieutenant colonel leading his own battalion, while former battery commander Sam officered the mountain howitizers that occasionally served as the Rangers' artillery. William "Billy" Smith and Adolphus "Dolly" Richards were two more of Mosby's trusted company commanders who were often entrusted with separate commands, leading their own expeditions.

Author Wert also details the way in which partisan bands such as Mosby's operated, often remaining behind enemy lines for indefinite lengths of time and quartering in small groups in the "safe houses" of civilians sympathetic to their cause. This often led, however, to great hardship for their benefactors, as Federal patrols regularly made "sweeps" of the countryside gathering up Rangers whenever possible, and when this yielded few results they often took the citizenry instead who often found themselves confined to Washington's Old Capitol Prison for varying lengths. In early 1863 it seemed this system of partisan warfare offered another option for the struggling Confederacy, but by the following year, for various reasons it fell out-of-favor with the Richmond authorities and in Virginia only the bands led by Mosby and that of John McNeill in western Virginia continued to be sanctioned. Mosby himself remained in favor throughout any controversy, rising continually in rank from lieutenant to colonel; with each promotion his battalion also grew, eventually to the status of a full regiment.

The author has relied for the most part on standard sources but has done I think an outstanding job of weaving together the various strands of information into a seamless whole. However, I was amused to see that he acknowledged the help of someone who had to be a collector or reenactor "for introducing me to the workings of a .44 caliber Army Colt revolver" which he describes in detail in the text, unfortunately including "greasing the head of each bullet to reduce sparks..." while loading, a step unknown to period shooters. Happily, he does much better when describing the terrain of Northern Virginia that made up Mosby's Confederacy, assisted by the endpaper map of the ever-reliable Rafael Palacios; sixteen pages of photos and other illustrations also enliven the text. For any reader wishing a look at this darker side of the war, one often fought in the shadows, Wert's book would be a fine place to begin - highly recommended!

James N.
Thanks for the review James. Jeff Wert is always a good bet.

I have a question. Formerly I had a biography of Mosby and his men by one of the riders, and I do not recall the name. It was a very thorough coverage, so much so that unless one really sat down to study it, it could not be grasped. It is not the type to read by bedside light. Is Wert's coverage as intense, or can it be browsed at leisure and enjoyed without perplexity? Thanks,
Lubliner.

I have a question. Formerly I had a biography of Mosby and his men by one of the riders, and I do not recall the name. It was a very thorough coverage, so much so that unless one really sat down to study it, it could not be grasped. It is not the type to read by bedside light. Is Wert's coverage as intense, or can it be browsed at leisure and enjoyed without perplexity? Thanks,
Lubliner.
Your description sounds suspiciously like Mosby's Rangers by James J. Williamson which I own as a part of the Time-Life facsimile reprint series from the early 1990's. I too attempted to read it, but soon bogged down in the highly annoying style in which it was written, long footnotes on every page which often spilled over onto the next, requiring the reader to constantly flip back and forth and severely interrupting the flow of the story! The tale of his service as told by Williamson was interesting enough, and probably would have been even more so minus all the added notes, but I gave up on it after only a very few chapters. Jeffrey Wert, on the other hand, is noted for a clear, concise writing style and this book is no different, laid out in chronological order that should be easy-to-follow. Another Mosby biography I read, now many years ago, was called Rebel and was at the time disappointing because half of it concerned Mosby's extraordinarily long life postwar. (He survived until 1916!) It was good, as I recall, and I would probably appreciate it more now, though it's relatively short on Mosby's wartime exploits, which of course Wert is not.

Your description sounds suspiciously like Mosby's Rangers by James J. Williamson which I own as a part of the Time-Life facsimile reprint series from the early 1990's. I too attempted to read it, but soon bogged down in the highly annoying style in which it was written, long footnotes on every page which often spilled over onto the next, requiring the reader to constantly flip back and forth and severely interrupting the flow of the story! The tale of his service as told by Williamson was interesting enough, and probably would have been even more so minus all the added notes, but I gave up on it after only a very few chapters. Jeffrey Wert, on the other hand, is noted for a clear, concise writing style and this book is no different, laid out in chronological order that should be easy-to-follow. Another Mosby biography I read, now many years ago, was called Rebel and was at the time disappointing because half of it concerned Mosby's extraordinarily long life postwar. (He survived until 1916!) It was good, as I recall, and I would probably appreciate it more now, though it's relatively short on Mosby's wartime exploits, which of course Wert is not.
Yes, I got lost somewhere close to Upperville when the confederates turned on their pursuers after climbing a hill, and rolling some artillery to blast at them. I think that was the one, and if I remember it carried a roster plus a brief bio on some of the men such as Chapman. But then, the memory comes from 1992?
Lubliner.

Yes, I got lost somewhere close to Upperville when the confederates turned on their pursuers after climbing a hill, and rolling some artillery to blast at them. I think that was the one, and if I remember it carried a roster plus a brief bio on some of the men such as Chapman. But then, the memory comes from 1992?
Lubliner.
That date was about when the T-L reprint became available, so that likely was it.

Back