Mosby and McVeigh

Mosby ended up campaigning for his presidency, which got him in a lot of trouble - got him shot at! He wasn't the only one, either. D H Hill's son was shot for being Hill's son! (Hill was the definition of unreconstructed.)
He did indeed campaign for Grant. And his defense of Stuart at Gettysburg, which sort of threw Lee under the bus, didn't win too many friends.

I have nothing to add about the date of the photo or how tall they were. Sorry. Mosby is sitting on a folding chair with a cloth seat that sags under his weight.

Mosby became colonel in december 1864, i see tre stars on collar and a sort of overcoat below him, i presume that the photo was shot in winter 1865.

R N McVeigh.JPG

This is a clipping from my Great Great Grandfather, Harvey McVeigh (4th Virginia Cavalry, Company D "The Little Fork Rangers" Wicham's Brigade. R N McVeigh is no relation. Harvey's Brother, LLewellyn McVeigh and 1st cousin Newton McVeigh both rode with Mosby. Also, Newton was a VMI cadet at New Market.

Last edited:
View attachment 295421
This is a clipping from my Great Great Grandfather, Harvey McVeigh (4th Virginia Cavalry, Company D "The Little Fork Rangers" Wicham's Brigade. R N McVeigh is no relation. Harvey's Brother, LLewellyn McVeigh and 1st cousin Newton McVeigh both rode with Mosby. Also, Newton was a VMI cadet at New Market.
Interesting. Thanks for posting!

Back