Morgan's raiders in Jail (one of the greatest CW photos!)

civilwarincolor

2nd Lieutenant
This has got to be one of the best Civil War era photo's in my opinion. So much better than boring stuffy studio images!

Just wish it was a bigger image.

Morgans_Raiders_in_jail_CWT.jpg

Is that in the old Ohio Pen? I suppose it'd have to be, wouldn't it?

I think so. I had seen a small image of this and really liked it. The original would only let you look at a small area of the screen at a time. I had to take a screen shot, move what I could see, take another screen shot, did that about 25 times to capture the whole thing then merged it back together to get the full image.

Probably the best food they'd had in a long time!

Not so sure. They were a raiding party. According to the Wiki entry on them on:

On July 12 [1863], Morgan arrived in the town of Dupont, Indiana, where his men burned the town's storehouse and stole 2,000 smoked hams before riding out of town the next day.​
Perhaps they are "hamming" it up for the camera here.

This is a great photo. It is one of photos in book "The Longest Raid of the Civil War" by Lester V. Horwitz. They are at Ohio Penitentary. According to Horwitz, the photo is from Univerity of Kentucky library collection.

I bet they were planning their escape.

I believe I've mentioned elsewhere that one of them had a booklet that they all signed their autographs in; the booklet got left behind when they made their escape from the Pen. It's in the archives of the Ohio Historical Society now; I saw it when we had a 'behind the scenes' tour. (John Hunt Morgan had a small, neat signature, unlike many of his compatriots.)

I tell you what fellas. Them are some snappy dressers. Lt. Jenkins: interesting about his writing. Tells a bit about what kind of man he was. I bet he had a neat and tidy mind.

Upon capture near Lisbon, Ohio, Morgan and his principal officers were sent to the Ohio State Penitentiary, where their heads were shaven and their beards clipped like common criminals.

The photo is of a group of Morgan's Raiders at Western Penitentiary, near Pittsburgh. 118 of Morgan's captured men were sent to this prison by rail, out of Salineville, Ohio. They were incarcerated here from August 5, 1863, to March 19, 1864, when they were transferred to another prison at Fort Delaware, New Jersey.

left to right: Carry, W. D. - Captain - 8th Kentucky Cavalry; Church, Andrew J. - 2nd Lt. - 8th Kentucky Cavalry; Hathaway, S. - 1st Lt. - Morgan's Cavalry; Brown, Henry D. - 2nd Lt. - 10th Kentucky Cavalry; Hays, Wm. - 1st Lt. - 20th Kentucky Cavalry.

left to right: Carry, W. D. - Captain - 8th Kentucky Cavalry; Church, Andrew J. - 2nd Lt. - 8th Kentucky Cavalry; Hathaway, S. - 1st Lt. - Morgan's Cavalry; Brown, Henry D. - 2nd Lt. - 10th Kentucky Cavalry; Hays, Wm. - 1st Lt. - 20th Kentucky Cavalry.

Thank you so much for identifying them. I had been curious who they are. So, Morgan is not in the picture? What a shame!

Thank you so much for identifying them. I had been curious who they are. So, Morgan is not in the picture? What a shame!
You are welcome. I've done much study on Morgan. I remembered Basil Duke writing about how they were treated upon arrival at the Ohio Penitentiary - stripped, scrubbed down, heads and beards shaved. So, I knew the photo was not taken at the Ohio Pen.

You are welcome. I've done much study on Morgan. I remembered Basil Duke writing about how they were treated upon arrival at the Ohio Penitentiary - stripped, scrubbed down, heads and beards shaved. So, I knew the photo was not taken at the Ohio Pen.

So these men did not participate in the escape?

Littlestown thanks so much for information. In book I mentioned the photo was on same page as picture of Ohio Pentitentary. I took for granted it was taken there.

I knew that they were treated that way at Ohio Pentitentary as have read Basil Duke's book. I should have gotten it and went over his chapter on the prison. Just glad you had the information.

Donna

I think its from Jones Diary of a War Clerk, but I am not sure, said there was some brew haha about the Yanks cutting his hair of short. From looking at the picture I think I see what the result was. I am unsure on the result, they were unsure if it happened because he was sick. Both seem to be negative. lol I am more an oap person. I need to branch out.

Back