Morgan's Great Raid in Indiana

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
* Morgan and his Raiders enter Indiana, via Steamboats, over the Ohio River at Morvin's Landing.

DSC_0596.JPG

* In the summer of 1863, Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan launched an even more audacious raid through Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio. His inventive and highly successful tactics included having his telegraph operator masquerade as a Union soldier and send false and wildly divergent messages reporting on Morgan's actions, objectives and troop strength, creating confusion and hampering any response. Despite great initial success, Morgan was defeated at the Battle of Buffington Island, Ohio, on July 19, 1863, and some 750 Confederate cavaliers were captured. A few days later, pursued by Federal cavalry, 300 of Morgan's men crossed the swollen Ohio River into West Virginia; the rest continued north and east, hoping for a chance to slip across the river to relative safety. After another defeat at the Battle of Salineville on July 26, Morgan was captured and taken with some of his officers to the Ohio State Penitentiary, while the majority of the enlisted men were sent to Chicago's Camp Douglas as prisoners of war. (Civil War Trust)

* The John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail in Indiana (JHMHT Marker on US 3).

DSC_0697.JPG

* Tour Stop : 1 (Morgan's Raiders Enters Indiana).

DSC_0590.JPG

* The Battle of Corydon, Indiana (The Battle of Corydon Park).

DSC_0606.JPG

* Indiana State Historic Marker (The Battle of Corydon).

DSC_0633.JPG

* Morgan's Raiders enter Salem, Indiana.

DSC_0655.JPG

* Morgan's Raiders enters Leota (Finley's Crossroads), Indiana.

DSC_0668.JPG

* Morgan's Raiders Campsite near Lexington, Indiana.

DSC_0681.JPG

* Morgan's Raiders in Dupont, Indiana.

DSC_0709.JPG

* Morgan's Raiders steal Jewels from a Versailles, Indiana Masonic Temple (Later Returned).

DSC_0717.JPG

* Morgan's Raiders Monument in Versailles, Indiana.

DSC_0723.JPG

* Morgan's Raiders steal Horses from a Catholic Church in New Alsace, Indiana.

DSC_0741.JPG

* Morgan's Raiders at the Indiana/Ohio State Line.

DSC_0756.JPG

* Morgan and his Raiders Cross the Whitewater River into Harrison, Ohio (Burn Old Covered Bridge).

DSC_0757.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill did you go to Stream Cliff Herb Farm? It is in Jennings County, Indiana. It is a stop by John Hunt Morgan while going thru Indiana. He was there on July 11, 1863. We have been there several times. They have a winery and the Twigs and Sprigs Tearoom. They have delicious food and use the herbs and flowers from the farm for their entrees.

The tasting room at winery is called General Morgan Tasting Room.

Bill did you go to Stream Cliff Herb Farm? It is in Jennings County, Indiana. It is a stop by John Hunt Morgan while going thru Indiana. He was there on July 11, 1863. We have been there several times. They have a winery and the Twigs and Sprigs Tearoom. They have delicious food and use the herbs and flowers from the farm for their entrees.

The tasting room at winery is called General Morgan Tasting Room.

Yes, Ma'am.......

I traveled the historic route just east of Deputy and Paris Crossing, Indiana, and ended up on this farm.

* CR 120 Steel Bridge.

DSC_0686.JPG

* My Toyota Camry (Wet Tire Marks) traveled over the Ford to the Farm.

DSC_0693.JPG

* The Stream Cliff Herb Farm.

DSC_0695.JPG

Last edited:
I really enjoyed my tour last Saturday but I could have used a co-pilot. For the most part, the state of Indiana did a wonderful job designing this American Civil War tour. I enjoyed my visit through Indiana's "Small Towns."

Bill
Sorry I let you down Mr Bill! Another stellar performance!! Is the low water bridge above the one I mentioned just south of Vernon? There was way more water when I crossed it. In fact my friend and I were about to turn around (which would have been a challenge itself) when a sedan like mine came from the other direction and plowed right thru with no hesitation. Even then my friend was clutching the armrest and hyperventilating.

Sorry I let you down Mr Bill! Another stellar performance!! Is the low water bridge above the one I mentioned just south of Vernon? There was way more water when I crossed it. In fact my friend and I were about to turn around (which would have been a challenge itself) when a sedan like mine came from the other direction and plowed right thru with no hesitation. Even then my friend was clutching the armrest and hyperventilating.

Trust me, Chuck....

You did not let me down. Taking care of family is more important than touring American Civil War venues. It would have been nice to have a co-pilot, especially on the BFI roads.

This ford is southeast of Vernon and it runs east of US 3 (Deputy and Paris Crossing, Indiana). The JHMHT map states "Cross Ford with Caution."

Bill

On this day in 1863, Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his Raiders entered the state of Indiana. Morgan and his Raiders traveled across the Ohio River from Brandenburg, Kentucky on two steamboats (Alice Dean & John B. McCombs) and landed at Mauckport, Indiana. Morgan and his Raiders traveled throughout Southeastern Indiana and entered Harrison, Ohio on July 13th. Morgan would later surrender to Federal cavalry at West Point, Ohio on July 26th, 1863.

One of m
On this day in 1863, Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his Raiders entered the state of Indiana. Morgan and his Raiders traveled across the Ohio River from Brandenburg, Kentucky on two steamboats (Alice Dean & John B. McCombs) and landed at Mauckport, Indiana. Morgan and his Raiders traveled throughout Southeastern Indiana and entered Harrison, Ohio on July 13th. Morgan would later surrender to Federal cavalry at West Point, Ohio on July 26th, 1863.
One of many characters to emerge from the civil war.

Thanks for sharing the great pictures. The raid was another invasion of northern territory in 1863. Also, the raid provided the only "battles" or skirmishes in Indiana during the war as far as I know. To this day, the intense instate football rivals of Indiana University and Purdue University play for the Old Oaken Bucket traveling trophy. The Old Oaken Bucket was found on a southern Indiana farm. According to the people who owned it, Morgan's raiders drank water from it while in Indiana. Possibly even the General himself....

Last edited:
Back