Morgan Horse, Joshua Chamberlain's Charlemagne

There is a company at Gettysburg that offers Segway tours, and their vehicles are named after horses that served at Gettysburg. Funny idea, in my eyes.
Of course they do have a "Charlemagne":

Charlemagne.JPG

Have a look, they have some other faithful mounts, too:
http://www.segtours.com/team.htm

I just thought I'd share my personal story with a beautiful black Morgan horse rescue.
About 15 years ago I spied an underweight Morgan all alone in a condemned barn down the street from a BFI place not too far from my son's house. I stopped and pulled in and she ran right up to me and could tell she was starving! I tried calling the county but to no avail because horses were not their specialty and to try another one outside of where the horse is!? So I rallied a friend, a well known local horse rescuer, and went back. It was a bank barn with a locked Dutch back door and the top half was open but it was past my waist. and I conjured up what was left of my gymnastic ability for my age and managed to hop, hang and crawl over and opened it. To our surprise NO hay OR horse feed inside! Poor girl was standing alone in a dark stall and to our surprise the owner just happened to show up with this wife and kid! WOW! Busted! We could care less and said we were concerned and thought for sure they'd call the police until he said do you want to buy her? Her name is Brandy. The guy worked for BFI and claimed he fed her daily! We countered with what has she been eating and what? Her teeth are SO long HOW does she? He said the pasture I first saw her in is fine. NOT! All noxious weeds! My two stalls in my barn had my Quarter Horses in them already so I said give us a couple of days and we had to gather enough money from our friends to give him more money then the "meat" guys (he threatened and said he would call them) would! Came back and he was there and actually had registered papers for her! took us almost TWO hours to get the poor girl in the trailer and she stressed do bad that in that 20 minute drive to a rescue barn that said would take her she seated so bad that the open windows were fogged up to the point you couldn't see out or in! After letting in the recue pasture we observed one of the smoothest Morgan gait we ever saw! She literally "floated" across that pasture with new found happiness and grace! Yes that's me in the photo hugging her over the stall door when she took a break eating fresh hay after I don't know how long. She was so sweet that they had found her a new home for in 2 days from a guy who bred Arabians and wanted to crossbreed her to make "Morabs"
VICTORY! Just like the "starfish" story...it mattered to THAT Morgan horse :smug:
God Bless Joshua Chamberlain!
BTW @Mrs. V it was the BFI facility in Glenwillow!

Attachments

• Rescue Morgan Brandy (2).jpg
    Rescue Morgan Brandy (2).jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Rescue Mogan Brandy me (2).jpg
    Rescue Mogan Brandy me (2).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I just thought I'd share my personal story with a beautiful black Morgan horse rescue.
About 15 years ago I spied an underweight Morgan all alone in a condemned barn down the street from a BFI place not too far from my son's house. I stopped and pulled in and she ran right up to me and could tell she was starving! I tried calling the county but to no avail because horses were not their specialty and to try another one outside of where the horse is!? So I rallied a friend, a well known local horse rescuer, and went back. It was a bank barn with a locked Dutch back door and the top half was open but it was past my waist. and I conjured up what was left of my gymnastic ability for my age and managed to hop, hang and crawl over and opened it. To our surprise NO hay OR horse feed inside! Poor girl was standing alone in a dark stall and to our surprise the owner just happened to show up with this wife and kid! WOW! Busted! We could care less and said we were concerned and thought for sure they'd call the police until he said do you want to buy her? Her name is Brandy. The guy worked for BFI and claimed he fed her daily! We countered with what has she been eating and what? Her teeth are SO long HOW does she? He said the pasture I first saw her in is fine. NOT! All noxious weeds! My two stalls in my barn had my Quarter Horses in them already so I said give us a couple of days and we had to gather enough money from our friends to give him more money then the "meat" guys (he threatened and said he would call them) would! Came back and he was there and actually had registered papers for her! took us almost TWO hours to get the poor girl in the trailer and she stressed do bad that in that 20 minute drive to a rescue barn that said would take her she seated so bad that the open windows were fogged up to the point you couldn't see out or in! After letting in the recue pasture we observed one of the smoothest Morgan gait we ever saw! She literally "floated" across that pasture with new found happiness and grace! Yes that's me in the photo hugging her over the stall door when she took a break eating fresh hay after I don't know how long. She was so sweet that they had found her a new home for in 2 days from a guy who bred Arabians and wanted to crossbreed her to make "Morabs"
VICTORY! Just like the "starfish" story...it mattered to THAT Morgan horse :smug:
God Bless Joshua Chamberlain!
BTW @Mrs. V it was the BFI facility in Glenwillow!
What a beautiful horse and what soulful eyes! Thanks for sharing your story with us!

Back