MORGAN’S RAID III “The Pursuit” September 15 - 18, 2016

morgan raid map.jpg

morgan raid poster.jpg

In a spectacular 4-day event, Union soldiers will pursue Morgan's Raiders from Western Meigs County to Pomeroy, Ohio (60 miles), culminating in a reenactment of the Battle of Buffington Island in Portland. There will be a base camp in Pomeroy for the entire event, as well as a smaller camp across the river in Mason City. On Friday, there will be a skirmish and Civil War dance in Chester. On Saturday, troops will board sternwheelers, "manned" by the Union Navy, at the Pomeroy Levee and travel to Portland for n amphibious landing skirmish and then return to Pomeroy for an evening dance and many other events. Finally, on Sunday, the entire army will once again board the boats and travel to Portland for the Battle of Buffington Island. If you want to actually participate in the reenactment, contact Darrell Markijohn for Infantry, Mike Church for Cavalry, or Larry Golding for Navy. All three's emails and phone numbers are in the link. Also being represented are Artillery and Sharpshooters, for which you could contact Mr. Markijohn as well.

http://www.usvolunteers.org/events/2016/USV-Morgans-Raid-III-Memo.pdf

I recently met up with the 6th Ohio Cavalry at Hale Farm in August. Cool people. They tried to recruit me since I have a horse but I have to wait on it. This sounds like a lot of fun!!! Maybe next year!

Important schedule change for this event (per memo from Bob Vance and Mike Church forwarded to me last month): In the interest of allowing more reenactors to join, the length of the ride has been cut (a lot of people don't have the time to spend months conditioning their horses for an endurance ride) and the ride time has been cut to three days (not everyone can get a week off from work). Friday's ride will start at the Meigs County Fairgrounds just north of Pomeroy, OH, and go 6 miles to Chester, OH. The rest of the event will be as originally scheduled Friday through Sunday.

If you're not going to the CWT Gettysburg Invasion this weekend, and especially if you live in southern Ohio/northern Kentucky, this will be a spectacular event to attend!

Important schedule change for this event (per memo from Bob Vance and Mike Church forwarded to me last month): In the interest of allowing more reenactors to join, the length of the ride has been cut (a lot of people don't have the time to spend months conditioning their horses for an endurance ride) and the ride time has been cut to three days (not everyone can get a week off from work). Friday's ride will start at the Meigs County Fairgrounds just north of Pomeroy, OH, and go 6 miles to Chester, OH. The rest of the event will be as originally scheduled Friday through Sunday.

If you're not going to the CWT Gettysburg Invasion this weekend, and especially if you live in southern Ohio/northern Kentucky, this will be a spectacular event to attend!

I've been trying to find a spectator's schedule for this event. Do you happen to have one or know where we can find one? I'll be among the Gettysburg invaders this weekend, but there's a chance I might be able to take a detour on the way home and catch some of this event too.

I've had the same problem finding anything for spectators. It may all be on Facebook, which I refuse to take part in. I do know that per the memo I mentioned, they expect to be done with the final battle at Buffington's Island by mid-afternoon on Sunday.

I also have not been able to find anything for spectators and now at the last minute cannot go. I am desparate to at least to see video of the raid, many of my husbands ancestors probably witnessed it and not one single story has come down thru the years, which is kind of unbelievable to me :-( Anyway, if any of you are standing by a road when they go galloping by, please tape it and put it up on you-tube!!!

My eldest son will be taking part. The 6th Ohio Cavalry is galvanizing as Morgan's Raiders.
My 17 year old and his horse from Montana are participating too. He traveled with the 11th Volunteer Cavalry from Wyoming. I had to stay home and of course I keep hoping someone somewhere will post photos.

I also have not been able to find anything for spectators and now at the last minute cannot go. I am desparate to at least to see video of the raid, many of my husbands ancestors probably witnessed it and not one single story has come down thru the years, which is kind of unbelievable to me :-( Anyway, if any of you are standing by a road when they go galloping by, please tape it and put it up on you-tube!!!
I'm definitely interested in videos and photos of the Union Cavalry, my MT son and his horse are participating. This is their first reenactment. He is with the 11th Ohio from Casper WY.

My 17 year old and his horse from Montana are participating too. He traveled with the 11th Volunteer Cavalry from Wyoming. I had to stay home and of course I keep hoping someone somewhere will post photos.
Some wonderful photos of Morgan's Raid posted on Facebook today. I just did a general search using the keywords"Morgan's Raid." My son is on the blue roan in the second row.

Attachments

• 14333074_10207864333866126_2842184615774462988_n.jpg
    14333074_10207864333866126_2842184615774462988_n.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 272
Back