More silly guys who worried that slavery would tear the country apart

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Many secessionists honestly believed they had that right; almost all of them claimed it. They were not wrong. Nor were unionists wrong in opposing them. The issue of legality was in dispute, Constitutional and case law was insufficiently clear. The question could have been settled peaceably by negotiation before any states actually seceded. Personally, I "believe" there was a good chance they would be allowed to leave peacefully. They chose not to try, the result was decision in a "contest of arms," in which the rebels came up short.

M own real interest is in what did happen. Not in what "could have, should have, would have" happened IF ...

Horrido67

Private
Thank you Mr. Hartwell for your response. I think Lysander Spooner, a genuine abolitionist, argued that slavery was unconstitutional and actively campaigned against slavery until 1861. I find his book, 'The Unconstitutionality of Slavery', an interesting read, even though I think he was wrong. However, when the war came, Lysander Spooner opposed Lincoln and Republican Party. He argued that the South had a right to secede from the Union and accused the Lincoln administration of waging a war only to preserve the Union, not to destroy slavery in the South. Many other abolitionists criticized Lincoln for not being radical enough on the issue of slavery throughout the war. I understand that Lincoln tried his best to downplay the importance of slavery to appease loyal slave states and many conservatives who had absolutely no love for enslaved black folks.

So I wonder what did so-called Copperheads, Peace Democrats, War Democrats and other non-Republican/anti-slavery/abolitionist Unionists feel about slavery during the Civil War before the Emancipation Proclamation? Did they feel cheated by Lincoln when he issued the EP as a 'war measure'?