More Civil War participants at a younger age

My ancestor Marcellus Pointer in 1860, age 19.
Pointer, Marcellus   Feb 1860 (2).jpg

9615ca2dc89a46d9be27e5457840c734.jpg

Nathaniel B. Barnwell and James S. Barnwell. The twins, born in 1845, served as Privates in the 7th South Carolina Cavalry Regiment. Coming from a large family, several other brothers served in the CSA as well. James would die of typhoid in 1864. Nathaniel would become a Cadet on the staff of an artillery battalion. After the war he married Eliza Maxwell Longstreet, a relative of the General, and was accidentally shot and mortally wounded during a hunting trip, dying in 1883.

Picture from my pinterest.

Last edited:
816efe3e2737ce905e82dfc736bb0498.jpg

William A. Forbes (1824-1826), here ca. 1855, graduated from the VMI in 1842. He became a college professor in Tennessee and when the civil war began recruited many of his students into a company. Becoming part of the 14th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, he was elected Colonel. He was mortally wounded at 2nd Manassas.

0f2c87cd7132983e6213cbe2c0da4c9f.jpg

Daniel W. Flagler (1835-1899) was a West Point graduate of June 1861. He spent the war as an ordnance officer, including a year as Chief Ordnance Officer of the Army of the Potomac (also at Gettysburg), and ended it as a Captain (and Bvt. Lt. Col.). Afterwards he stayed on the career track, eventually becoming a Brigadier General and Chief of Ordnance of the U.S. Army in 1891.

36fcc8976f27c4ab3003d83573c9b869.jpg

John R. Waddy (1834-1905) graduated from the VMI in 1853 and is one of the comparably few from there to actually serve in the regular army (back then); here as 2nd Lieutenant in the 4th U.S. Artillery Regiment in 1858. Joining the Confederacy, the Lieutenant Colonel served as an ordnance officer and in other positions on numerous staffs, much of the war for Pemberton and Beauregard. Afterwards he spent a few years in NYC before settling in Norfolk as a businessman and postmaster.

977c6ad3879677e8bf4068fa7c2f6846.jpg

Edward C. Shepherd (1835-1907) graduated from the VMI in 1855. He served as Lieutenant in the 2nd Virginia Infantry Regiment but was court-martialled and dismissed for cowardice after 2nd Manassas. In the next year he went to Baltimore and was arrested by the Union, staying a prisoner till the war ended. Afterwards he became a college professor.

Last edited:
872a34f9f05a6cbf5df97c183dfa239a.jpg

James D. Graham Sr. (1799-1865), here around 1845, graduated from West Point in 1817. He had a long career as topographical engineer, commanding the U.S. Lake Survey during the civil war, ranking Colonel. He was married to the older sister of George Meade. Their two sons would serve as regulars and in the civil war as well, one of them (William M. Graham Jr.) eventually becoming a Major General during the Spanish-American War.

Picture from his wikipedia entry.

149d7064504c43a833977ff5111a22ee.jpg

Nothing better than taking a merry picture at at hanging, I guess. Here a couple of militia officers at the hanging of John Brown, December 1859. Maj. Gen. William B. Taliaferro (1822-1898) was a Harvard-trained politician later serving as Confederate Brigadier General in the ANV and down south. George B. Horner (1833-1892) graduated from the VMI in 1854 and served as Captain in the 1st Virginia Infantry Battalion during the war. The last is Col. Samuel Bailey Richmond whom I simply can´t find anywhere.

Picture from the VMI archives.

Last edited:
36fcc8976f27c4ab3003d83573c9b869.jpg

John R. Waddy (1834-1905) graduated from the VMI in 1853 and is one of the comparably few from there to actually serve in the regular army (back then); here as 2nd Lieutenant in the 4th U.S. Artillery Regiment in 1858. Joining the Confederacy, the Lieutenant Colonel served as an ordnance officer and in other positions on numerous staffs, much of the war for Pemberton and Beauregard. Afterwards he spent a few years in NYC before settling in Norfolk as a businessman and postmaster.

This would be around the time of the Mormon Expedition, in which then-Capt. John Gibbon led Battery B of the 4th in Utah; perhaps Waddy was involved too - too bad his shako doesn't have the company/battery letter on it.

This would be around the time of the Mormon Expedition, in which then-Capt. John Gibbon led Battery B of the 4th in Utah; perhaps Waddy was involved too - too bad his shako doesn't have the company/battery letter on it.

Don´t know if he hadn´t switched companies before but when he was promoted to 1st Lieutenant in February 1861 he was transferred from Company I (to Company F).

149d7064504c43a833977ff5111a22ee.jpg

Nothing better than taking a merry picture at at hanging, I guess. Here a couple of militia officers at the hanging of John Brown, December 1859. Maj. Gen. William B. Taliaferro (1822-1898) was a Harvard-trained politician later serving as Confederate Brigadier General in the ANV and down south. George B. Horner (1833-1892) graduated from the VMI in 1854 and served as Captain in the 1st Virginia Infantry Battalion during the war. The last is Col. Samuel Bailey Richmond whom I simply can´t find anywhere.

Picture from the VMI archives.
Taliaferro got on the wrong side of Stonewall Jackson (not a particularly hard thing to do!) at the beginning of 1862 when his regiment was a part of the brigade of William Wing Loring which had been summoned to take part in the winter campaign against Federals in Romney, W. Va., but then still part of Virginia. Although the Federals retreated leaving the town to be garrisoned by Loring's Brigade, his officers rebelled, bypassing Jackson's chain-of-command and writing a letter of protest directly to Secretary of War Judah P. Benjamin who ordered them withdrawn. This resulted in the resignation of Stonewall (soon withdrawn), reassigning of Loring away from the Valley, and bad feeling on Jackson's part towards Loring's officers including Taliaferro. Nevertheless, he advanced to command of the brigade in Loring's place, rising to command of Jackson's old Stonewall Division before being struck down with a serious wound at the Brawner Farm runup to Second Manassas.

William A. Marye (1840-1903) graduated from West Point in 1862 and spent the war as an ordnance officer in various arsenals in the west. He continued his ordnance service, eventually ranking Colonel, and resigned in 1902.
Do you happen to know whether William A. Marye is in any way related to John L. Marye, a businessman and lawyer who built Brompton House atop Marye's Heights in Fredericksburg? Find a Grave is failing me (again).

Do you happen to know whether William A. Marye is in any way related to John L. Marye, a businessman and lawyer who built Brompton House atop Marye's Heights in Fredericksburg? Find a Grave is failing me (again).

Combining a few services as all have some gaps they apparently are. The link is Jacques "James" Marye II (1692-1768), who came from France to colonial Virginia and settled on what became Marye´s Heights. He was the great-grandfather of John L. (Sr.) (via James IV and James III) and the great-great-grandfather of William A. (via Thomas, William S. and Peter).

f485bd655b350d2409bb8cbad542353d.jpg

Branson E. Coltrane (1834-1883) graduated from the VMI in 1861 and joined the 1st Virginia Infantry Battalion. In late 1862/early 1863 he apparently was court-martialled for allowing a prisoner to escape, however I didn´t find details. Nontheless he became a Captain in the 24th Virginia Infantry Regiment and was captured at Sailor`s Creek. After the war he was a farmer and manufacturer.

980bee241972d87a2a894af82fbc85e1.jpg

Legh Wilber Reid (1833-1908) graduated from the VMI in 1858. He became Lieutenant Colonel of the 36th Virginia Infantry Regiment and fought with it in the west (including Fort Donelson). Later he served in the 27th VA Partisans Rangers and the 25th VA Cavalry Regiment, loosing ... a leg in 1864. Interestingly in March 1865 he, according to the VMI, applied for command of a regiment of colored troops. After the war he worked for several railroad companies.

Back