More Civil War participants at a younger age

95b418563bbabd89029955b61ff6cb4a.jpg

G. Marshall Labuzan (1847-1939) was at the University of Alabama from 1863 to 1865. There he was a member of the Alabama Corps of Cadets, here in 1864. In 1865 he was a Cadet Lieutenant in Company C when they opposed Wilson's Raid, sawing combat in the Battle of Tuscaloosa (the Academy being burned). After the war he apparently became a lawyer and attorney in Mobile.

Picture from my pinterest.

b873ed1df8209abb832103a2638fde92.jpg

Thought he was covered already but as I just saw him as avatar of @Belfoured and couldn´t find him, well, here he is.

Justin E. Dimick Jr. (1840-1863) graduated from West Point in June 1861, after lots of trouble in the academy, and became an artillery officer. He served in the field since Manassass and eventually was named Adjutant of the 1st U.S. Artillery Regiment, commanded by his father (whose helping hand he had needed several times before). The 1st Lieutenant was mortally wounded while leading a battery in III Corps at Chancellorsville.

More about him in this article.

I found a _really_ young one earlier this year. I hope it's ok to add him.

shep_boy.jpg

First, a painted portrait of William Samuel "Billie" Shepherd, c. 1843 - about age 5.

shep_wife.jpg

Next, his wedding photo with new bride Diana Virginia McGuire Shepherd, 1859.

shepherd_ws_uni.jpg

Finally, in uniform as First Lieutenant, North Carolina State Troops, 1861-62.

A native of Nansemond County, VA, Shepherd was a bookkeeper in Norfolk, but moved to Murfreesboro, NC shortly before the War. He was commissioned First Lieutenant, Company F, First North Carolina Infantry on 16 May 1861. He was killed in action at Sharpsburg, MD on 17 September 1862.

All these pictures from the Suffolk Nansemond Historical Society, published in their newsletter of June 2012.

Last edited:
gray-jackson-jpg.jpg

William H. Withington (1835-1903), here in the uniform of the Jackson Grays militia company. With his unit becoming part of the 1st Michigan Infantry Regiment (a three months unit), he led the company at First Manassas and promptly was wounded and captured, however received the Medal of Honor for it as well. Later he served as Colonel of the 17th Michigan Infantry, left the army in 1863 and was brevetted Brigadier General. He became a businessman, state politician and eventually Brigadier General in the Michigan State Forces.

Picture courtesy of @major bill from the Jackson Michigan Civil War uniforms? thread.

View attachment 259180

George A. Smith (1824-1864). A candy maker in civil life; he served in the 1st Georgia Infantry Battalion and then in the 36th Georgia Infantry Regiment, also known as 1st Confederate Infantry, eventually becoming its commander. For some time he led a brigade on the gulf. At Kennesaw Mountain the Colonel was arrested for granting a temporary truce but later was back with his regiment; eventually being killed at Franklin.

Picture from his findagrave entry.

I really think this must be one of George's sons (perhaps George A. Smith III). The colonel was born in 1824, so that would date this picture somewhere around the mid-1830s. Heck, we didn't even photograph a president until the early 1840s.

6265492_130532182097.jpg

One more for the navy, John Newland Maffitt (1819-1886), here as a U.S. Navy officer. Serving in that for nearly 30 years; he resigned and joined the Confederate Navy, eventually becoming a Commander. He led, to great success, the commerce raider CSS Florida, the ironclad ram CSS Albemarle and the blockade runner CSS Owl.

4a6e08c4a4b47bfa6c9277d081fa5706.jpg

George Pendleton Turner (1837-1905), who had served as 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps until he resigned. The nephew of John B. Magruder joined the CSMC but was dismissed in 1862. Then he enlisted in the 1st Kentucky Cavalry Regiment and eventually became a Lieutenant Colonel on Wheeler's staff. Afterwards he moved to Alabama.

colonel-mcdonald-jpg.jpg

Angus W. McDonald Sr. (1799-1864) in an undated pre-war picture. He graduated from West Point in 1817, had several careers, of course including being a lawyer, and a multitude of children (including Maj. Marshall McDonald). He led the 7th Virginia Cavalry Regiment but, still in 1861, resigned from field duty for health reasons. He became a prisoner in 1864, was released after a few months and died mere weeks later.

Picture courtesy of @gentlemanrob from the thread CSA Colonel Angus William McDonald Sr.

And before the decade is over another one from my pinterest.

fdb6c70bc0e5d677720d7b913f03ddd4.jpg

Horace Porter (1837-1921) graduated from West Point in 1860. During the civil war he served as an ordnance officer, earning the Medal of Honor at Chickamauga as Chief of Ordnance of the AoC. In 1864 he became an aide to U.S. Grant, and would be secretary to the same during his presidency. The Colonel (and Bvt. Brig. Gen.) then worked in railroads, among other businesses, and served as Ambassador to France.

I found these prewar (CDV) and in-uniform (tintype) pictures of this young man at the Ohio History Connection (formerly the Ohio Historical Society).

george_a_early.jpg
george_a_uni.jpg

He's Albert George of Cadiz, Harrison County, OH. He enlisted and mustered as Private, Company B, 30th Ohio Infantry on 22 October 1861. He was then 18 - probably his age in the picture on the right. He looks about 16 in the CDV.

Private George was killed in action at Antietam on 17 September 1862.

I found these prewar (CDV) and in-uniform (tintype) pictures of this young man at the Ohio History Connection (formerly the Ohio Historical Society).

View attachment 341730View attachment 341731

He's Albert George of Cadiz, Harrison County, OH. He enlisted and mustered as Private, Company B, 30th Ohio Infantry on 22 October 1861. He was then 18 - probably his age in the picture on the right. He looks about 16 in the CDV.

Private George was killed in action at Antietam on 17 September 1862.
16 or 18, either is way too young to die.

Last edited:
Got another one. Maybe.

980c9e460d51b49d3ae388ecd1179a46.jpg

Edward G.W. Butler (1800-1888), here during or shortly after the Mexican-American War. He graduated from West Point in 1820, years later resigned and became a militia general in Louisiana before rejoining as Colonel of the 3rd Dragoons, a wartime unit, in Mexico. The old planter`s Confederate service is unclear as mentioned in Cullum's Register with some saying that, though he supported secession, there was none. In any case his sons served, one being killed at Belmont.

Last edited:
And another interesting case.

b3c261ed77d069424d941b6c3cd207bc.jpg

James B. Dorman (1823-1893) graduated from the VMI in 1843 (2nd in his class), became a lawyer (the picture being from those days) and served early in the Mexican War as an enlisted in a Texas cavalry unit. Back in Virginia the state politician opposed secession but still joined the Confederate States Army. He was an artillerist, instructor and staff officer and ended the war as Major and adjutant of Birkett D. Fry. Afterwards he continued his legal career in Virginia.

109737270_94e66f84-9522-4c34-b644-ff1a1ee8901e.jpg

William T. Mechling (1827-1898) graduated from the USMA in 1848 and served until he was dismissed in 55 (over financial issues). When the civil war began the Pennsylvanian and adopted Texan joined the Confederacy and served as a staff officer in the Trans-Mississippi Department, e.g. on the staffs of Van Dorn and H.P. Bee, reaching the rank of Major. Afterwards he spent a decade as engineer in British Honduras (Belize) before returning to the US.

bland-lee-jpg.jpg

Richard Bland Lee II (1797-1875), among the countless cousins of R.E. Lee, graduated from West Point in 1817 and served as an artillerist, ordnance officer and commissary until the civil war began (here as Bvt. Major or Major between 1836 and 1861). He joined the Confederates as Lieutenant Colonel and at times served as Chief Commissary of Subsistence for Beauregard, both in east and west. His service, or my knowledge of it, seems to be limited as I quickly found nothing past 1862.

Picture courtesy of @gentlemanrob from the thread Lee, Richard Bland Jr.

A word about Van Zandt's unusual first name: Louis Kleber was a general in France's Revolutionary army and served under Napoleon as a division commander during his ill-fated 1798-99 expedition to Egypt. He was not a member of then-General Bonaparte's inner circle and was stiffed when Napoleon returned without warning or notice to France by slipping through the British navy's blockade, leaving poor Kleber in command of the stranded army. If that wasn't bad enough, Kleber was ultimately assassinated by a Moslem fanatic who was subsequently executed for the deed by being impaled! If Kleber had survived and been repatriated to France following the surrender of the Army of the Orient, it's likely he would've eventually been either: executed as an opponent of the new Emperor; or been made another of the 26 generals raised to the rank of Marshal of the Empire. At the time of the Civil War all this was well-known recent history and the leaders of the French Revolution and Empire were considered heroes suitable for naming children after.
Thanx. I Really enjoy reading stories like this one.

Back