Golden Thread Monuments and markers at Shiloh off the beaten path

I really love this thread!

But, in looking through it, I think the National park service needs to hire some kids to paint the markers in the summer.

I am trying to locate a picture of the Confederate location marker at Dill branch, right in front of Grant's Last Line. Jackson's brigade made it to this point, at about 5:30, and then Beauregard gave the fateful order to "pull back." I remember ( in April of 2003) walking back through a maze of trails (thanks to a helpful park Ranger.) I never would have found it on my own. Even though it was April I could not tell directions in the woods. I am searching for a photo of the marker. I didn't find one on the internet. If anyone has one please feel free to post.
They have begin restoring and repainting markers . I talked to a ranger two weeks ago who told me about their cleanup efforts on their off days . They are getting there it's just slow .

@Vicksburger perhaps the tablet you are seeking is 1) or perhaps 2)?
Regards
David

1)

1607525648398.png

2)

1607525806867.png

@Vicksburger perhaps the tablet you are seeking is 1) or perhaps 2)?
Regards
David

1)

View attachment 383920

2)

View attachment 383921
Yes these are two of the markers. I think there is one that mentions Dill Branch or at least makes reference to the fact that the skirmishers couldn't advance under the fire from the other side of the ravine or something like that. Thanks you very much for posting them! Yes they need paint too!

Jackson's Brigade was attacking along the intersection of the Brock Road and the Hamburg/Savannah Road towards Pittsburg Landing. The ravines of Dill Branch were 100 yards or so to their right and the terrain was so difficult to maneuver.
Come up sometime and I will show you Park incliding the path of Jackson's Brigade.
Regards
David

@Vicksburger I might to mention in the above post that Jackson's Brigade fought the 9th Illinois all day on Sunday which was fierce for both sides. The 9th Illinois suffered the greatest loss of all regiments with: 61 KIA, 300 WIA, 5 MIA a total loss of 366 out of 600 present for duty. A loss percentage of 61%.*
The returns for Jackson's Brigade are fragmentary but here they are: 86 KIA, 364 WIA, 194 MIA a total loss of 644 out of 2,208 present for duty. A loss of percentage of 3%.**
Regards
David

*The Battle of Shiloh and the Organizations Engaged
Page 91
**ibid.
Page 106

Last edited:
Jackson's Brigade was attacking along the intersection of the Brock Road and the Hamburg/Savannah Road towards Pittsburg Landing. The ravines of Dill Branch were 100 yards or so to their right and the terrain was so difficult to maneuver.
Come up sometime and I will show you Park incliding the path of Jackson's Brigade.
Regards
David
That would be great. I was last there in 2003, but all I had was my books-Larry Daniels and Wiley Sword, to direct me around.

@Vicksburger I might to mention in the above post that Jackson's Brigade fought the 9th Illinois all day on Sunday which was fierce for both sides. The 9th Illinois suffered the greatest loss of all regiments with: 61 KIA, 300 WIA, 5 MIA a total loss of 366 out of 600 present for duty. A loss percentage of 61%.*
The returns for Jackson's Brigade are fragmentary but here they are: 86 KIA, 364 WIA, 194 MIA a total loss of 644 out of 2,208 present for duty. A loss of percentage of 3%.**
Regards
David

*The Battle of Shiloh and the Organizations Engaged
Page 91
**ibid.
Page 106
That amazes me the loss of the 9th Illinois. They were probably green and didn't know what they were doing. Of course, so were the Second Texans. I can't remember if the Second Texas got separated from the rest of Jackson's brigade on the second day. I know they got separated from their Colonel, Moore.

Actually the 9th Illinois was one of the few regiments in Grant's army that was experienced before Shiloh. They had been heavily engaged at Fort Donelson and loss 35 KIA, 160 WIA, 6 POW for a total loss of 201 from 600 present for duty a 30% loss.* In 2 engagements (Fort Donelson and Shiloh) the 9th loss was: 96 KIA, 460 WIA, 5 MIA, 6 POW a total loss of 567 from about 1,200 present for duty for a loss percentage of 47%!
Regards
David
*https://civilwar.illinoisgenweb.org/history/009.html

Actually the 9th Illinois was one of the few regiments in Grant's army that was experienced before Shiloh. They had been heavily engaged at Fort Donelson and loss 35 KIA, 160 WIA, 6 POW for a total loss of 201 from 600 present for duty a 30% loss.* In 2 engagements (Fort Donelson and Shiloh) the 9th loss was: 96 KIA, 460 WIA, 5 MIA, 6 POW a total loss of 567 from about 1,200 present for duty for a loss percentage of 47%!
Regards
David
*https://civilwar.illinoisgenweb.org/history/009.html
I'm currently reading Cunningham's book on Shiloh and he points out all the units on both sides that had seen previous action; there were more Union veteran units, from Mill Springs, Fort Donelson, Belmont, and even Lexington, Mo. Most Confederate veteran units had been surrendered at Donelson and of course Van Dorn's hadn't crossed the Mississippi yet, leaving a relative few from skirmishes and Mill Springs.

Kevin well done! Congratulations to you and @MS2623 for being rewarded for your hard work in producing this thread! Golden Thread! Sounds very nice.
Regards
David
@Ole Miss there is no way this could have been accomplished without you and your tireless work . True team effort . I am floored .

Thank you
Yes. Congratulations for being pinned with the Golden Thread Award. Very deserving. I love this thread and Shiloh NMP.

Back