Golden Thread Monuments and markers at Shiloh off the beaten path

@Georgia I would agree that your ancestor might be in CBT #21 along side of Cavalry Road South of Mulberry Field but as the 16th Alabama retreated along Sherman Avenue to Woolf Field near Water Oaks Pond they passed the 2 other CBT. Trenches #22 and #23 are located on the West side of Sherman Avenue and your ancestor might be buried in one of these CBT or not. Many Confederates were buried in smaller mass graves as well as single ones and as you can imagine no records where kept.

Do you have any information that states or implies he died on the field? Or perhaps we might have died at a temporary hospital near Michie or along the road to Corinth? I wish you luck with your search and would be glad to be of any assistance. I believe @16th Alabama would be of more help than I as he literally walks that field weekly!
Regards
David

Last edited:
Since you have not been able to visit Shiloh, here are photos of the 3 possible CBT (Confederate Burial Trenches) your ancestor might have been placed. I would recommend that you secure a copy of the Trailhead Graphics Shiloh map which shows where every unit was located along with CBT and other meonuments. I have the online site listed below.
Regards
David

CBT #21 along Cavalary Road in the Northern sector of the Park. This is the smallest of the known and marked CBTs
View attachment 382832
1606687430277.png

A marker about the burial of Confederates.

1606687788381.png

Since you have not been able to visit Shiloh, here are photos of the 3 possible CBT (Confederate Burial Trenches) your ancestor might have been placed. I would recommend that you secure a copy of the Trailhead Graphics Shiloh map which shows where every unit was located along with CBT and other meonuments. I have the online site listed below.
Regards
David

CBT #21 along Cavalary Road in the Northern sector of the Park. This is the smallest of the known and marked CBTs
View attachment 382832View attachment 382831

A marker about the burial of Confederates.

View attachment 382835

If you take the trail behind this marker you will be in an area where it was hot for the 16th . May be a good starting place .

This is the 2nd largest CBT, #22, off of Sherman Avenue about 400 to 500 yards West of the area occupied by the 16th on Monday. Each of the 10" shells are 3' apart to give you an idea of its size.
Regards
David

1606689973434.png

Another view

1606690164326.png

This is the 2nd largest CBT, #22, off of Sherman Avenue about 400 to 500 yards West of the area occupied by the 16th on Monday. Each of the 10" shells are 3' apart to give you an idea of its size.
Regards
David

View attachment 382841

Another view

View attachment 382842
Thank you so much. Yes @lelliott19 has been more than helpful by sharing information. I’ll definitely need to pull some of Daddy’s books on Shiloh too. I’m hoping to get to speak with him tomorrow. I’ll see if he knows or remembers knowing about this. I don’t believe he did as I think he would have told me.

After some research and help from those here, I’ve realized I had an ancestor who was part of the 16th Alabama who was lost on the second day of Shiloh.
I’ve been reading a paper which was linked to another thread about Shiloh and trying to follow their movement during the battle.

I have not visited Shiloh and didn’t know if there was a location there which might have even more information about my ancestor and perhaps his burial location? Or, if it is mostly a marked location without a “headquarters.”

My ancestor was so very young as so many who fought in this war. He was only 19 when he passed away.
His brother who was a year older actually was part of the 1st Alabama Cavalry and fought for the Union. My hopes are that the brothers were able to still be brothers up until they left for war.

Are there any specific locations I should be searching to see if my ancestor left any more specific information during his time as a soldier in the 16th?

His name was Peter N. Shotts, he mustered in during ‘61 and was part of Company E.

Thank you-
The most worthwhile Civil War battlefield parks to visit are Shiloh, Chickamauga-Chattanooga, Vicksburg, Gettysburg, and Antietam because they were the very first and came into being under the oversight of the U.S. Army as outdoor laboratories and with the help of the many surviving veterans who really wanted to "do it right". Therefore, they are covered with very detailed markers and tablets that detail the movements of units down to brigade and sometimes even regimental level. In your case they would be described along with the other regiments belonging to their brigade. Being in the Western Theater of the war, probably only Chickamauga-Chattanooga would have similarly detailed tablets that will include your regiment.

As it so happens, my ancestor Jasper Blair also served in the brigade commanded by S. A. M. Wood, so here in Chickamauga's Winfrey Field is a tablet describing their advance against the Federal line on the opposite side in the trees. This is only one of SIX that were placed here - five at Chickamauga and one on Missionary Ridge in Chattanooga - though at some time in the past one of them disappeared and was never replaced.

1606759483013.png

@16thAL and I started a task about a year and a half ago to follow the footsteps of his ancestors of the 16th AL at Shiloh. We searched and talked to rangers to find out exactly how many markers there were and a close proximity to where they were, then we set out on an adventure to find and photograph all of said markers. I will say it has been a interesting adventure but it has also been a rewarding one. To stand where they stood has been sureal. Over the year and a half we had found all of the markers for the 16th except 1. We continued to search and research where this last marker could be, and today a year and a half later I am glad to say we finally found that last marker. It is a great feeling knowing we finally completed what we set out to do. We found this last marker in the woods along ruggle's artiliary line.
16th.jpg

The UDC had an excellent grasp of what happend at Shiloh and were determined to secure the location for the Confederate Monument. Many of the ladies had relatives that fought and perhaps died during the 2 days of battle.
Regards
David

Not exactly hidden markers but a pretty good hike across Fraley Field from the Peabody's Hunch/The Battle Begins area. The edge of Wood's Field where pickets of the 3rd Mississippi Infantry Battalion were attacked by the reconnoitering party sent out by Gen. Prentiss in the early morning on April 6th.

2020-09-26 12.12.02-1.jpg

2020-09-26 12.11.45-1.jpg

2020-09-26 12.12.21-1.jpg

At the other end of Fraley Field is this marker. Walking that field was one of the highlights of that Saturday for me during our CWT Shiloh Muster. That's where the battle started in earnest.

2020-09-26 12.08.16-1.jpg

I really love this thread!

But, in looking through it, I think the National park service needs to hire some kids to paint the markers in the summer.

I am trying to locate a picture of the Confederate location marker at Dill branch, right in front of Grant's Last Line. Jackson's brigade made it to this point, at about 5:30, and then Beauregard gave the fateful order to "pull back." I remember ( in April of 2003) walking back through a maze of trails (thanks to a helpful park Ranger.) I never would have found it on my own. Even though it was April I could not tell directions in the woods. I am searching for a photo of the marker. I didn't find one on the internet. If anyone has one please feel free to post.

Back