Golden Thread Monuments and markers at Shiloh off the beaten path

KIMG0800.JPG
position of the 16thAL when they overran Peabody's camp on Sunday morning and got to eat their first meal in days .

Is that tablet at Water Oaks Pond? Where 650 men of Wood's Brigade made a bayonet charge?

A couple of years ago, we hiked down past Ruggles Battery, through the woods to locate a tablet for Wood's Brigade that is buried in the woods near the Lost Field. I think I took a picture of it, but am not sure which one it is? Does anyone know which tablet Im talking about? It may have already been posted? If not, could someone please post a picture of it? Thanks!
KIMG0799.JPG

These markers for the 54th Ohio are on the far left of the Union flank. The 54th was part of Stuart's Brigade, and severely tested on Sunday, April 6. Please note how steep the terrain is so close to theTennessee River
Regards
David
1590599902818.png

1590600922836.png

1590600600591.png

20200531_151831.jpg
20200531_151433.jpg

On east side of sunken road just off Hornets nest. This is where the woods caught fire burning many of the wounded on day 1.

Here are a few other markers and monuments that are sometimes hard to find being off the beaten path. I know that @MS2623 and @16thAL are more knowledgeable about the hidden gems of the Park than I but I stumble across one or two every so often.
Regards
David
Munch's Battery was deployed here early on Sunday morning along the Southern edge of the Park
1594240521393.png

1594240836658.png

There's a line of Union markers that go east into the woods towards the river, coming off the road close to the bloody pond. I think people rarely see them unless they're purposefully looking for them.

This is the mid-afternoon left flank of the Union army, and the 57th Illinois is at the far end closest to the river.

Off the Hamburg-Savannah Road, due East of Wicker Field is the area you are referring to where the 57th Illinois was located.
The 55th Illinois and the 54th Ohio were 500 yards South of the 57th due West of Sarah Bell's Cotton Field along a similar ravine.
Regards
David

1594246454821.png

1594246700520.png

This is the seldom seen Confederate Burial Trench (# 2) which is in a beautiful location.
Regards
David
This is my grandson @kilroy15 standing in front of the trench. To give you an idea of the size of this grave, the 10 pound balls are 3' a part. 45' x 9'
View attachment 365867
View attachment 365868
View attachment 365869
Great pictures. I have to check my pics from my one trip to Shiloh in June 2017. Didn't have time to go to all of the burial trenches. It was only about a 5 hour visit and we were dodging rain showers.

Bobby when we have the Shiloh Muster I will show you all 5 known Confederate Burial Trenches along with 3 possible locations.
Regards
David

Bobby when we have the Shiloh Muster I will show you all 5 known Confederate Burial Trenches along with 3 possible locations.
Regards
David
Very much looking forward to that sir. Will @kilroy15 be joining us this year?

Depends on their school schedule. In class or by video are the discussed options. He will be there for the Friday session for sure if I have to drive back to Oxford to get him.
He and I are meeting @16thAL and @MS2623 Saturday to look foir the Tredegar Cannons and a possible Confederate Burial Trench near the 15th Iowa original Burial Trench in the D 6 sector of the Park
Regards
David

“Wounded rebels at Shiloh had fallen in heaps, and the woods had taken fire and burned all the clothing off them and the naked bodies and blackened corpses are still lying there unburied. On the hillside near a deep hollow our men were hauling them down and throwing them into the deep gully. One hundred and eighty had been thrown in when I was there. Men were in on top of the dead, straightening out their legs and arms and trampling them down so as to make the hole contain as many as possible. Other men on the hillside had ropes with a noose on one end, they would attach this to a man’s foot or his head and haul him down the hollow and roll him in.” Cyrus F. Boyd, 15th Iowa Infantry I posted this 3-30-20

Back