Golden Thread Monuments and markers at Shiloh off the beaten path

The site of the 16 last stand before retreating back to Corinth .
Is that tablet at Water Oaks Pond? Where 650 men of Wood's Brigade made a bayonet charge?
@16thAL has started a really informative thread presenting pictures of the monuments and markers of Shiloh. Yet how many markers (called tablets), cannons and monuments are there in the 4,000 plus acres of Shiloh National Military Park?
also somewhat obscure
A couple of years ago, we hiked down past Ruggles Battery, through the woods to locate a tablet for Wood's Brigade that is buried in the woods near the Lost Field. I think I took a picture of it, but am not sure which one it is? Does anyone know which tablet Im talking about? It may have already been posted? If not, could someone please post a picture of it? Thanks!

Laura the 16th Alabama marker @16th Alabama is from Monday the 7th on the far left flanlk of the Confederate army. The marker you are speaking of near Ruggles' battery is probably the one below
Regards
David
1571696393493.png

Is that tablet at Water Oaks Pond? Where 650 men of Wood's Brigade made a bayonet charge?

A couple of years ago, we hiked down past Ruggles Battery, through the woods to locate a tablet for Wood's Brigade that is buried in the woods near the Lost Field. I think I took a picture of it, but am not sure which one it is? Does anyone know which tablet Im talking about? It may have already been posted? If not, could someone please post a picture of it? Thanks!
I'm currently hunting that one myself . Found the one in the woods at Rhey field but haven't found the lost field one . FYI that's when I stepped on that blasted snake lol

5th United States Battery "H" under the command of Captain William R. Terrill, part of General Buell's Army of the Ohio, was engaged here in the SE Corner of the Davis Wheat field forcing the Confederates back to Corinth. Armed with 4 12-pounder Napoleons and 2 10-pounder Parrotts, the battery fired 242 rounds while suffering 1 KIA and 15 WIA along with the loss of 12 horses killed and 7 wounded.
Regards
David

1571760541194.png

1571760864396.png

Last edited:
Robertson's Battery is difficult to find in the records as it is listed as a Florida battery, an Alabama battery and as a Confederate Battery. Regardless of its parentage it fought very well at Shiloh, being part of Ruggles's line of cannons, and was so cited in many official reports. Unfortunately no report of this battery's action was submitted or found in the Official Records. The unit suffered 2 KIA and 17 WIA with the loss of 23 horses and 3 caissons. As a final triumph they left the field with a captured 10-pound Parrott
This picture shows the last position of the battery on Monday, April 7, 1862, at the SE corner of Sarah Bells' old cotton field. The growth in front in this picture was not there at the time of the battle.
Regards
David

1571763379203.png

1571763527996.png

DSC06095.JPG

Here's one I took of Robertson's Alabama Battery with a tablet for April 6 on the line of Ruggles' Batteries; at the time, I was interested in this Confederate-manufactured Napoleon or 12-pounder howitzer:

DSC06094.JPG

Last edited:
Mann's Battery, Battery "C" 1st Missouri Light Artillery was in the thick of the fighting for both days. Armed with 2 6-pounder guns and 2 12-pounder howitzers, this unit expended 1,120 rounds with 3 KIA and 14 WIA. Losing 34 horses, 1 6-pounder gun and 2 caissons certainly attests to the danger and service of this battery during the battle
Regards
David

1571776023722.png

1571776416706.png

very nicely done Ole Miss. did you see the 9th Illinois plaques by that disgusting deep gulley they were trapped in ? Reference point you can see through the trees Johnstons felling.

This marker is just a little north of the Bloody Pond. It is difficult to read so have a copy of the Park's posting of what it reads below.
Regards
David
1571881075062.png

C. S.
Jackson's (3d) Brigade,
17th ALA., 18th ALA., 19th ALA., 2d TEXAS,
Withers' (2d) Div., Bragg's Corps,
ARMY OF THE MISSISSIPPI.
This brigade was engaged here at 5.30 p.m., April
6, 1862, and assisted in the capture of prisoners from
the divisions of Generals Prentiss and W. H. L. Wallace.
The 18th Ala. was detailed to conduct prisoners to
Corinth.

The monument for the USS Tyler and USS Lexington the 2 gunboats that assisted the Union army as much as possible
Regards
David

1571882034355.png

Again I have used the Park's printing of the content
U. S.
U. S. GUNBOAT TYLER, Lieut. William Gwin, Commanding.
U. S. GUNBOAT LEXINGTON, Lieut. James W. Shirk, Commanding.

On the 6th day of April, 1862 these gunboats were in
position on the east side of the Tennessee River oppo-
site the mouth of Dill Branch. They went into action
at about 5 p.m. and were engaged in repelling the last
attack made by the Confederates Sunday evening, and
continued to throw shells into the supposed camps
of the enemy, every half hour during the night.

very nicely done Ole Miss. did you see the 9th Illinois plaques by that disgusting deep gulley they were trapped in ? Reference point you can see through the trees Johnstons felling.
The terrain at Shiloh made a great difference in whether a unit was decimated or not. Open fields were deadly as exposed to artillery and infantry.
The 9th Illinois faced the 9th Arkansas and 20th Tennessee along side the Hamburg-Savannah Road with Willard’s Battery begind them
If you are interested in the 9th search for “My Poor Little 9th” on the web
On the road to Vicksburg so using my phone and not skilled with it ☹️
Glad you are enjoying the thread that @16thAL created
Regards
David

Back