Golden Thread Monuments and markers at Shiloh off the beaten path

Pardon my ignorance, and I've never been to Shiloh before but the grounds are immaculate it seems. Question for anyone who was there recently, are there still animals in the park? I'm noticing a distinct lack of undergrowth in quite a few areas.
Also eagles at certain times of the year I understand.

DSC07315.JPG

The 13th Missouri Monument is away from the paved road on the West side of the Park near Confederate Burial Trench #22. The are is very quiet and eerily beautiful and a must see for Park visitors.
Regards
David
View attachment 376346
I'll see you (literally - since we also found that one as well while looking for the nearby Confederate burial trench), and raise you the Second Tennessee, a monument near Shiloh Church I'd only seen before in a postcard view.

DSC07331.JPG

DSC06083.JPG

Also eagles at certain times of the year I understand.
Yes there are . Sadly a storm took the main eagle nesting tree .
Two years ago when @mkyzzzrdet and I visited here, the tour road from Bloody Pond past the Indian mounds all the way to the Visitor Center was CLOSED because a baby eagle had fallen out of its nest! Fortunately, however we were still able to walk along the road from the cemetery as far as the mounds so we missed very little and had good views into Dill Branch Ravine and along the river.

DSC06084.JPG

DSC06085.JPG

A few from a different perspective. I took these during various preservation projects over the years.

1. The Arkansas State monument. Note the soldier has two belts.
2. "Death" on the Confederate monument.
3.The Illinois State Monument. The model was the sculptor's wife and felt she was too heavy to pose as she had just given birth. The Tennessee State monument is in the background.
4. The Peach Orchard from the Manse George cabin. The chimney had just been rebuilt.
5. The Sarah Bell Cotton Field from the same vantage point.
Ark 1.jpg
dscf3716.jpg
dscf3847.jpg
IMG_6444.JPG
IMG_6438.JPG

Here is a beautiful tablet that marks the location Munch's Battery was earlier on Sunday morning till they retreated to the "Hornet's Nest" later that afternoon.
Regards
David

1606166558691.png

Ammen's 10th Brigade tablet is on the far Union left, just South of Sarah Bell's Cottonfield.

1606167477256.png

Ammen's 10th Brigade tablet is on the far Union left, just South of Sarah Bell's Cottonfield.

This one of my favorite markers on the whole battlefield. Thompson's 9th Indiana Battery, Light Artillery sat in this field on the far fight flank of the Union army. This unit was part of General Lew Wallace's 3rd Division. The cannon by the tablet is a 3.67" 12 pounder Wiard Rifle.
Regards
David

1606169092363.png

1606169213928.png

After some research and help from those here, I’ve realized I had an ancestor who was part of the 16th Alabama who was lost on the second day of Shiloh.
I’ve been reading a paper which was linked to another thread about Shiloh and trying to follow their movement during the battle.

I have not visited Shiloh and didn’t know if there was a location there which might have even more information about my ancestor and perhaps his burial location? Or, if it is mostly a marked location without a “headquarters.”

My ancestor was so very young as so many who fought in this war. He was only 19 when he passed away.
His brother who was a year older actually was part of the 1st Alabama Cavalry and fought for the Union. My hopes are that the brothers were able to still be brothers up until they left for war.

Are there any specific locations I should be searching to see if my ancestor left any more specific information during his time as a soldier in the 16th?

His name was Peter N. Shotts, he mustered in during ‘61 and was part of Company E.

Thank you-

After some research and help from those here, I’ve realized I had an ancestor who was part of the 16th Alabama who was lost on the second day of Shiloh.
I’ve been reading a paper which was linked to another thread about Shiloh and trying to follow their movement during the battle.

I have not visited Shiloh and didn’t know if there was a location there which might have even more information about my ancestor and perhaps his burial location? Or, if it is mostly a marked location without a “headquarters.”

My ancestor was so very young as so many who fought in this war. He was only 19 when he passed away.
His brother who was a year older actually was part of the 1st Alabama Cavalry and fought for the Union. My hopes are that the brothers were able to still be brothers up until they left for war.

Are there any specific locations I should be searching to see if my ancestor left any more specific information during his time as a soldier in the 16th?

His name was Peter N. Shotts

Thank you-
If he's buried there it's probly in CBT on Calvary rd . I will see what I can find out

Polk's Tennessee Battery, located on the West side of Rea Field, suffered heavily while engaged with units Sherman's Division for about 1 hour Sunday morning. The battery was equiped with four 6-pounders and two 12-pounder howitzers and suffered the disablement
of five pieces and one tube captured.

In this photo, the two 6-pounders bronze guns are Algers Model 1841, which shows the vast collection of cannons at Shiloh NMP.The Park staff have done an amazing job of placing accurate representations at as many battery tablets as possible. This action is one of many the vast majority of visitors are unaware of by a very dedicated staff! For more information about the cannons of Shiloh, contact any Ranger at Shiloh or the Corinth Civil War Interprative Center. In fact, @TomP, a Ranger is a member of CWT and very knowlegeable about cannons and very willing to assist
Regards
David

1606682628140.png

1606682770278.png

Back