Monument: To the Confederate Defenders of Charleston

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I was in Charleston, SC on Saturday and drove by to take a look at this monument while I was there. If you've never been there, the park is bounded by the road on two sides, and on the other side of the road is a seawall where you can look out at the bay. Sumter is way out in the distance. The park itself has a lot of monuments, and a lot of cannons all around it. You're not all that far from Rainbow Row either, so it's a beautiful place to visit while in Charleston.

The monument:
rh8kl1.jpg

Turn around, and Sumter is visible WAY out in the bay.
67popg.jpg

I wanted to look up the history of that particular Confederate monument, and this link has a nice summary.

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=53879

No glory for the defenders of Fort Moultrie, Battery Cumings, Battery Wagner, Fort Johnston (sp), the floating battery, the two ironclads and all the other defenders of Charleston Bay.

There was also a battle in 1862 (Secessionville) that prevented the Union (David Hunter) from flanking Charleston and crossing the Ashley like the British did in 1780. Charleston is rich in both Colonial and Civil War history.

Did you have a chance to visit the Charleston City Museum or the Washington Light Infantry?

No glory for the defenders of Fort Moultrie, Battery Cumings, Battery Wagner, Fort Johnston (sp), the floating battery, the two ironclads and all the other defenders of Charleston Bay.

There was also a battle in 1862 (Secessionville) that prevented the Union (David Hunter) from flanking Charleston and crossing the Ashley like the British did in 1780. Charleston is rich in both Colonial and Civil War history.

Did you have a chance to visit the Charleston City Museum or the Washington Light Infantry?

Not on that trip. We mainly went down to tour Patriot's Point, and just stopped by the battery briefly on the way to get some dinner and head home. There's plenty we'd like to see on the next trip.

Back