Monument to Confederate Unknown Dead

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

FourLeafClover

First Sergeant
It's an interesting design. Unfortunately I am off to bed now with "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", going round my head. Is there a reason why a Lion was chosen as the symbol ?

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
It's an interesting design. Unfortunately I am off to bed now with "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", going round my head. Is there a reason why a Lion was chosen as the symbol ?
Perhaps the lion represent the once rampant Confederate army -- the lords of the battlefield -- now at rest?

“There were never such men in an army before. They will go anywhere and do anything.”
Robert E. Lee

shanniereb

Sergeant Major
The lion, which guards a field containing the remains of unknown Confederate dead, was carved by T. M. Brady in 1894 out of the largest piece of marble quarried from north Georgia up to that time. Though Brady claimed that the design was original, with a few exceptions it is actually a near copy of the Swiss Lion of Lucer

Found that on Wikepedia

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
The lion, which guards a field containing the remains of unknown Confederate dead, was carved by T. M. Brady in 1894 out of the largest piece of marble quarried from north Georgia up to that time. Though Brady claimed that the design was original, with a few exceptions it is actually a near copy of the Swiss Lion of Lucer

Found that on Wikepedia
The Confederate lion does resemble the Swiss Lion of Lucerne

http://redstarcafe.wordpress.com/2008/05/20/the-lion-of-lucerne/

lionoflucerne.jpg