Monument Monday - September 24, 2018

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
1st U.S. Sharpshooters, Company F (Vermont Sharpshooters) at Gettysburg. Stone Sentinels.
1st US sharpshoooters co f.jpg

058.JPG

Pennsylvania Monument Gettysburg - Stone Sentinels
This popular Gettysburg fixture looks so good under a lowering sky, here's another, photographed on a rainy summer day.

057.JPG

Of course it's Gutzon Borglum's magnificent North Carolina State Monument on Seminary Ridge's West Confederate Drive, seen here in front-and-back views. (Today is a day looking much the same where I am.)

055.JPG

DSC05642.JPG

It's still near enough to the anniversary of Antietam to feature one of the newest monuments there, this one dedicated to the Union's famous Irish Brigade. I photographed the detail of the sculptures above, but the rest of these were taken by Bradley Garnett during our visit this April.

20180408_145415.jpg

The Irish Brigade Monument is located at the observation tower at the apex of Bloody Lane where the brigade made its assault September 17, 1862, as recounted on the sides of the monument below.

20180408_145423.jpg

20180408_145603.jpg

The back features a round bas-relief portrait of brigade commander Brig. Gen. Thomas Francis Meagher, "Meagher of the Sword."

20180408_145609.jpg

View attachment 205256

This popular Gettysburg fixture looks so good under a lowering sky, here's another, photographed on a rainy summer day.

View attachment 205255

Of course it's Gutzon Borglum's magnificent North Carolina State Monument on Seminary Ridge's West Confederate Drive, seen here in front-and-back views. (Today is a day looking much the same where I am.)

View attachment 205253
Since you posted North Carolina, I'll post Mississippi also at Gettysburg on West Confederate Ave. - Stone Sentinels

mississippi gettysburg.jpg

Since you posted North Carolina, I'll post Mississippi also at Gettysburg on West Confederate Ave. - Stone Sentinels

View attachment 205270
I was on a tour bus like the one in the background of this image, at this very spot, and my greatest regret was that it didn't stop so we could appreciate the monuments located there. We stopped at Little Round Top, and the newer 'Peace' monument, but more than anything, I wanted to walk this ground. There's always next time.

I was on a tour bus like the one in the background of this image, at this very spot, and my greatest regret was that it didn't stop so we could appreciate the monuments located there. We stopped at Little Round Top, and the newer 'Peace' monument, but more than anything, I wanted to walk this ground. There's always next time.
I'll be there in a couple weeks.

Back