Monument Monday September 17, 2018

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
DSC05656.JPG

Apologies to @Jimklag for hijacking his subject but since he hadn't begun a thread for this week yet, I decided to lead off with my photos of the largest monument at Antietam Battlefield, known as The Soldier. Today is of course the anniversary of the battle, Sept. 17, 1862, so I thought this was an appropriate subject. I photographed the monument in some detail earlier this April during my whirlwind tour.

DSC05654.JPG

As can be seen here, The Soldier dominates the Antietam National Cemetery from its position at the center of the arc of graves and is large enough to dwarf all other monuments on the battlefield.

DSC05655.JPG

DSC05658.JPG

Lastly, a shot taken with the telescopic lens feature on my camera to show the correct details of uniform and equipment:

DSC05659.JPG

Last edited:
Hood's HQ monument at Chickamauga. In honor of the anniversary of that other September battle and the upcoming CWT gathering there. Somebody already posted the Florida Monument in an earler Monument Monday.

2016-06-09 11.22.55.jpg

View attachment 204353

I've always liked Wadsworth's statue, too - here's mine, taken in late afternoon while waiting with @pamc153PA and @mkyzzzrdet for the tour to begin at the RR Cut during 2016's September to Remember CWT Gathering.

There was good sunset light that night, wasn’t there, Jim? Eventually, we found everyone—or maybe they found us!

Fort Ticonderoga 004.jpg

Fort Ticonderoga is on my bucket list, along with the newish Revolutionary War museum in Philadelphia.
I can't say about the museum - it was under construction when I visited Philadelphia a few years ago - but the reconstructed Fort Ti is at left center as seen from the summit of Rattlesnake Mountain, in the background below:

Fort Ticonderoga 003.jpg

Back