Monument Monday, September 16, 2019

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
DSC05641.JPG

Since this week marks the anniversary of the battle of Antietam, I thought a fitting subject for Monument Monday would be some of the smaller State and unit monuments on the battlefield, like that dedicated to the Union's famous Irish Brigade above.

DSC05635.JPG

Another monument honoring a brigade-sized unit is the one dedicated to the Philadelphia Brigade in its own park in what was once part of the West Woods where the brigade was cut to pieces in a counterattack.

DSC04602.JPG

Above and below, two Regimental monuments near the Cornfield.

DSC04603.JPG

DSC04512.JPG

Two state monuments are those of Maryland above and Texas below.

174.JPG

DSC04516.JPG

The State of New York has one of the largest monuments at Antietam, seen here in photos from two different visits.

DSC05633.JPG

184.JPG

Pennsylvania regimental monument at the sunken road also known as Bloody Lane.

DSC05652.JPG

Above and below, two different styles of Ohio regimental monuments near Burnside's Bridge.

DSC04590.JPG

For my latest thread on the Battle of Antietam:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/stonewall-jackson-at-antietam-september-1862.162451/#post-2126612

DSC04589.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get to visit the Eastern Theater battlefields too often, most of them are over a thousand miles away. And it's been over 20 years since I last walked this one.. But Antietam is a special place to me. "Sacred Ground".
I haven't been there yet.

The state of Michigan placed one monument for the 3 Michigan units that participated in the Battle of Shiloh, the 12th and 15th regiments of Infantry and Battery "B" Michigan Light Artillery also known as Rosss' Battery. The 13th Michigan was left off of the monument as they arrived late on Monday, April 7, and did not participate in the fighting.

1568670651552.png

1568671559521.png

@captaindrew that is my favorite! Just before I left Antietam, I drove back to take some pictures of the 90th PA. It is such a unique monument showing comradeship on the field.

Are there any markers for the 3rd North Carolina at Antietam?
Regards
David

Are there any markers for the 3rd North Carolina at Antietam?
Regards
David
There are very few Confederate monuments or markers of any kind there other than the U. S. Government signs and upright cannons marking where Starke and Anderson fell, so I extremely doubt it. Personally, I was unaware of the relatively new 11th Miss. above.

Back