Monument Monday, October 5, 2020

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
DSC07320.JPG

I haven't posted a Monument Monday subject for quite a while now, lacking suitable NEW material; fortunately that situation has been remedied for at least a while following our recent CivilWarTalk annual Gathering at Shiloh Battlefield NMP, Tennessee. This week's subject is the Wisconsin State Monument there, which I don't recall ever having seen before: located deep within the Hornets' Nest on a gravel road it's not exactly on the "official" NPS Tour Route! (Thanks to our guide Mr. DeBerry for showing it to us and to @Ole Miss for helping me find it again afterwards!)

DSC07326.JPG

The dramatic central group consists of a buxom female (Wisconsin?) supporting a wounded color-bearer in her left arm while raising high his fallen colors in her right hand; unfortunately at some time the work appears to have been vandalized, the flagstaff and his bayonet now obviously missing.

DSC07325.JPG

DSC07322.JPG

Around the sides of the base are bronze plaques depicting battle scenes.

DSC07323.JPG

DSC07324.JPG

The park marker or tablet at right lists the several Wisconsin infantry regiments and artillery batteries that took part in the battle and giving their losses:
DSC07327.JPG

Here is the Michigan Monument at Shiloh dedicated to the 3 Michigan units who fought here. The 12th Michigan Infantry, the 15th Michigan and Battery B, Michigan Light Artillery. Michigan paid a dear price at this engagement with 50 KIA, 133 MIA and 170 MIA.
Regards
David
1601932543586.png

Close up of the plaque
1601932971307.png

Last edited:
Back