Monument Monday, October 18, 2021

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
IMG_0428[1].jpg

After a long hiatus Monument Monday appears once again! The recent annual CWT Muster held this year at Antietam has provided grist for additional subjects for this series of threads, this one the Confederate Soldier's And Sailors' Monument on Gettysburg's Warfield Ridge; it is one of only a handful of Confederate monuments there and depicts a color-bearer urging his fellow soldiers forward.

IMG_0430[1].jpg

IMG_0429[1].jpg

Last edited:
This and the Louisiana and Mississippi state memorials were sculpted by Donald De Lue . I am not a fan of his style , which proves that I must not be a fan of fine art . He was highly regarded , but I call them the gumby memorials . The hands and feet are out of proportion and at least one pose is physically impossible by a normal person . The Louisiana monument is apparently supposed to represent Saint Barbara . He sometimes used his wife as a model , but I bet she didn't look anything like this .

DSC_0371.JPG

DSC_0376.JPG

This and the Louisiana and Mississippi state memorials were sculpted by Donald De Lue . I am not a fan of his style , which proves that I must not be a fan of fine art . He was highly regarded , but I call them the gumby memorials . The hands and feet are out of proportion and at least one pose is physically impossible by a normal person . The Louisiana monument is apparently supposed to represent Saint Barbara . He sometimes used his wife as a model , but I bet she didn't look anything like this .

View attachment 419111

View attachment 419112
The Mississippi and Louisiana monuments are my two favourites on the battlefield. Not being a fan doesn't necessarily say anything about your appreciation of fine art. It might just be a matter of 'horses for courses' and I think we all differ in our tastes. Personally, I find them very emotive and quite unique.

The only other thing I would say is that his wife must have been quite a muscular woman 💪

View attachment 418764

After a long hiatus Monument Monday appears once again! The recent annual CWT Muster held this year at Antietam has provided grist for additional subjects for this series of threads, this one the Confederate Soldier's And Sailors' Monument on Gettysburg's Warfield Ridge; it is one of only a handful of Confederate monuments there and depicts a color-bearer urging his fellow soldiers forward.

View attachment 418766

View attachment 418765
Another great monument. Thank you James N. for kickstarting this thread again.

The sculptor De Lue is a proponent of what I call the "Pumped Style", mostly seen these days in super hero films and comics. I too (see above) find his Mississippi Monument to be one of the most powerful and evocative works at Gettysburg. He does have some work that is a little easier to like.

This is one of De Lue's exedra panels at the Firestone Memorial in Akron, not the Detroit Red Wings monument elsewhere. Vandalism is is old as, well at least the Vandals who sacked the city of Rome in 455, and all of the 5 or 6 noses of De Lue's figures have been whacked off.

View attachment 421784
Better than the part that has been "whacked off" the memorial to British playwright Oscar Wilde in the cemetery of Pere Lachaise in Paris, France!:D

Better than the part that has been "whacked off" the memorial to British playwright Oscar Wilde in the cemetery of Pere Lachaise in Paris, France!:D
Yes, that was a nasty bit of work. Although I suspect that that move was less random than what happened to De Lue's.

Back