Monument Monday, June 24, 2019

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
DSC01682.JPG

Since today marks the completion of the Union mine at Vicksburg and tomorrow the anniversary of the assault on June 25, 1863 following the explosion beneath the Confederate works, I thought a fitting subject for this week's Monument Monday would be the largest State monument there, the Illinois Memorial erected near the mine opening. These two photos were taken several years apart during two separate visits, above in July, 2013 during the Vicksburg Sesquicentennial, and below in May, 2007.

Vicksburg 003.jpg

DSC05960.JPG

The Illinois Memorial is so large that it virtually dominates the landscape: above, it stands out on the horizon in this April, 2018 shot taken from Union Battery DeGolyer; below, another view made possible by the NPS' ongoing deforestation program trying to return the battlefield to something resembling its wartime appearance.

DSC01678.JPG

Vicksburg 007.jpg

The Vicksburg mine was constructed by Illinois coal and lead miners in the area of Maj. Gen. John A. Logan's division of Maj. Gen. James B. MacPherson's corps of Grant's army. The entrance to the mineshaft was in middle distance in the photo above, in the ravine just to the left of the statue of Captain Andrew Hickenlooper; it was exploded beneath the Confederate redoubt at the far left indicated by the cannon, markers, and tablets. The Illinois Monument is visible partly hidden by trees on the hill just behind Hickenlooper's statue, and the wartime Shirley House is at far right.

DSC01698.JPG

During my 2013 visit an impressive storm came up but fortunately did nothing but rain a little. The Monument and newly-restored Shirley House stand out in stark white before the ominous gray clouds. Below, the Louisiana Monument stands on the Confederate main line opposite that of Illinois.

DSC01699.JPG

I remember that particular Illinois monument building very well from my one and only visit to Vicksburg around 2003 or 2004. I remember it most, and I remember thinking while standing in there "This is a beautiful piece of work but did they really have to build it in the middle of the battlefield!!!"

I love what monuments represent, and that Illinois one is a wonderful piece of work, probably the most beautiful piece of work on the whole battlefield that I've seen, but its a reminder to me why I personally don't care for National Battlefields. The way they were during their battles have been completely obliterated with monuments everywhere. It just bugs me, because I'd rather see those battlefields somewhat like our ancestors did, left alone outside of maintaining them, not as a monument avenue.

But that's me I'm just crazy like that.

Image (12).jpg

I remember that particular Illinois monument building very well from my one and only visit to Vicksburg around 2003 or 2004. I remember it most, and I remember thinking while standing in there "This is a beautiful piece of work but did they really have to build it in the middle of the battlefield!!!"

Here are a couple of commercial souvenir photographs of the Illinois Monument from around the time of the Civil War Centennial.

Image (16).jpg

Back