Monument for 102 USCT.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I went to the Ella Sharp Museum in Jackson Michigan. They have two large lighted displays for the 1st Michigan Colored Regiment (102nd USCT). Jackson County contributed over 35 men to this regiment.

jack 2.jpg

1566077139082.png

It is good to see that forgotten heroes are being recognized, better late than never!
Regards
David

These lighted frames are maybe 5 feet tall. I have not seen anything like this in history museums. Kind of like stained glass windows with photographs inserted in places.

I went to the Ella Sharp Museum in Jackson Michigan. They have two large lighted displays for the 1st Michigan Colored Regiment (102nd USCT). Jackson County contributed over 35 men to this regiment.

View attachment 321336

View attachment 321341

Interesting. I'll have to check it out. Are the photos identified? I am questioning them as there is only one known photograph of a 102nd USCT soldier and one photo assumed to be of the regiment taken at a far distance in South/North Carolina.

-Yulie

Most photos appear to show USCT, but not 102 USCT soldiers. I am not sure many photos of them exist.

Most photos appear to show USCT, but not 102 USCT soldiers. I am not sure many photos of them exist.

I am aware of the ones I referenced. It's always problematic when pictures are used without proper credit or clarification that they are representative. I attended a Michigan history conference and the presenter had a photo of the 4th USCT and claimed it was the 102nd USCT. I didn't mean to ambush her afterwards, but told her she was incorrect. She's still using it.

Again, thanks for posting. I attended the Jackson CW muster last year at Ella Sharp but was too busy to visit the museum. I had done so many years ago and was pleased to see that the site has progressed.

-Yulie

Back