Monument Avenue Statues In Richmond, VA

Pete Longstreet

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
"The only condition imposed upon the State by said conveyance, the State's acceptance ol which was evidenced by the Governor's signing the deed on behalf of the State, is as follows:
'The State of Virginia, party of the third part, acting by and through the Governor of the Commonwealth, and pursuant to the terms and provisions of the special statute herein before mentioned, executes this instrument in token of her acceptance of the gift, and of her guarantee that she will hold said statue and pedestal and circle of ground perpetually sacred to the monumental purposes to which they have been devoted, and that she will faithfully guard it and affectionately protect it.' "
The deed is clear - no ambiguity at all - but will it be honored?

Last edited:

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
What monument is that in the second picture? The tall one surrounded by the columns
It's the Jefferson Davis monument from the rear. Here is a photo of the front during a better time....

1591793974585.png

©Michael Kendra, 2015

I was born in Richmond, grew up in what was known then as the Fan District, now the museum district........ went to Robert E. Lee Elementary School. I walked past those monuments every day to and from school. I went to church in Stuart Circle. I delivered the Richmond News Leader in my neighborhood. When I got older, I drove down Monument Avenue on my way to work. I was "bussed" to Maggie Walker High School......but then we moved and attended Thomas Jefferson High School for my senior year. I attended VCU........... so these statures have been a part of my entire life. Never once in all my schooling or teachings was I told that these statues represented slavery or white supremacy...... I never believed that in all of my life....... Yes, I do believe slavery was wrong..... my family decendants were not slave owners, however my Great Great Great Grand-father was in Lee's army and fought with him all the way to the end. People come to Richmond from around the world to view Monument Avenue, and for the life of me I can't understand why the city, who cries the blues about not having enough money, wants to lose this revenue.

I am glad the law suit was filed, and I know this has been a wake-up call for a lot of Virginians........ I can tell you, we will "Remember in November."

Paul Yancey

Sergeant
What is the REAL lesson to be learned from all this craziness. This is my take on it: If you scream and yell loud enough, if you create enough chaos, and if you destroy enough public and private property - then our elected officials will bend over backwards to appease you.

As an earlier poster stated "Remember in November."

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
What is the REAL lesson to be learned from all this craziness. This is my take on it: If you scream and yell loud enough, if you create enough chaos, and if you destroy enough public and private property - then our elected officials will bend over backwards to appease you.

Something something Tree of Liberty and needing to water it as Thomas Jefferson put it because we are dealing with totalitarians in our streets.

This is all very sad... When mob justice prevails and law and order is subverted then numerous guaranteed freedoms such as speech suffers. When people are scared to death that their opinions differ from the mob, and what that mob may do to them or their loved ones for expressing those opinions, they will bury their true feelings deep with-in where they will fester and one day will re-manifest stronger and possibly more dangerous than they ever were before. Mob rule does not change anyone`s minds who are committed to a certain cause or point of view, it only fortifies those positions and cements them deeper in place. Then the question always becomes where does the mob turn their attention and rage towards next? Being drunken with their newly acquired strength and power. "Anything" that they disagree with can easily become the "next target" of their rage and destruction.

Today, protestors are screaming and demanding for the removal of Confederate memorials across the nation, which were erected, mostly in southern cities, to memorialize and honor Confederate Generals and the Confederate dead of the American Civil War. We are speaking specifically of statues and memorials honoring: Robert E. Lee, Pierre G. T. Beauregard, Jefferson Davis, Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, J.E.B. Stewart, Nathan Bedford Forrest, Joseph E. Johnston, Braxton Bragg and so many others who fought for the Confederacy during the American Civil War. I may point out that all of these men were devout Democrats. So will these protestors rage be turned next towards the political party of the men whose names and images are etched upon these memorials? Will this same crowd after tearing down the very last Confederate memorial demand that the political party affiliated with these men be dissolved and disbanded? Then where does it go? Because these movements will always lead to something else, they never stop after making their initial impact. Does the movement then turn their attention towards websites that discuss the Civil War, demanding that they be taken down because Confederate views are openly allowed for public discussion and consumption? Or does it go even deeper and track down Confederate ancestral heritage and ruin the lives of an untold number of men, women and children who descend from those who fought for the Confederacy? I think that these are questions that we all need to ask ourselves because we all could be directly affected by what is currently taking place in our great nation.

Christopher Columbus statues have been torn from their platforms in numerous cities over the week-end, who will be next? Washington? Jefferson? Jackson? or any President or prominent figure whose views do not conform to the belief system of these specific protestors or protestors who may follow them? This is just my opinion about all that is currently taking place...

Last edited:

Friction Primer

Private

I like that saying; it reminds me of the movie "Gettysburg" when actor Sheen, as Gen. Lee says something like: We pushed HIM yesterday, HE will remember. {Lee's 2nd day briefing, referring to the AOP and outcome of 1st day's battle}.

BillO

Captain

Our elected officials are behind this.

ribruijn

Cadet
So, what’s next? Tearing down George Washington statues? He was a slave owner after all....
Where is the world going to in these days. Why can’t we accept that the past is the past, and that these were different times. I mean, it’s not that we are worshipping the confederate statues like in a church, right? We all know the background.