Monument Avenue Statues In Richmond, VA

58th Virginia

Sergeant
Not sure. I believe it is owned by the state. Which is why our Governor feels "able" to have it removed. See, all of these monuments have been protected from removal for decades by Virginia state law. At the request of our Governor, the General Assembly changed the law protecting Monuments. It takes effect July 1st. I suspect we'll see lots of monuments around the Commonwealth come down soon. :nah disagree:

I don't understand how a law can be changed without a 2/3's majority vote. And if I'm right, there is no way he would have gotten it. As mentioned the monuments are clearly protected by Virginia Law:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title15.2/chapter18/section15.2-1812/

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron

AshleyMel

2nd Lieutenant
I am sad for obvious reasons, of course, but Hubby and I had wanted to take our 20th Anniversary trip last year to Richmond, specifically to see Monument Avenue and when we weren't able to go we said it will happen "another time". Now there will be no "another time".
:frown:

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Thanks, @Brendan for sharing the transcript. Whether we agree or not, we now know his rationale (or the one he wants us to know).

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
What type of crane would be required to remove the Lee statue off its pedestal?

The Lee monument overall is 61' high. The equestrian statue atop the pedestal weighs 12 tons.

The arm would have to be such a length (75'-80'?) to reach above the 61'.

What would such a crane weigh? Would it be able to move down the streets of Richmond?

Last edited:

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
Deeds are pesky varmints...

Article-
"In an 18-page complaint filed Monday, William C. Gregory, the great-grandson of two signatories of the deed, argues that under the terms of the 1890 agreement and a legislature-approved resolution, the state is supposed to consider the monument and the area around it "perpetually sacred" and "faithfully guard it and affectionately protect it."
In the lawsuit, Gregory, the great-grandson, says removing the statue would cause "irreparable harm" because his family "has taken pride for 130 years in this statue resting upon land belonging to his family and transferred to the commonwealth in consideration of the commonwealth contractually guaranteeing to perpetually care for and protect the Lee Monument."

...and the State has already failed to protect the monument.

58th Virginia

Sergeant
It's a 10 Day stay for now, but it very well could become a permanent one. Time will tell. As 19th Georgia has stated, it has a legal clause to keep it intact indefinitely.

It's true the city of Richmond has failed to keep it protected. There are clear rules on it and violators to be prosecuted for breaking them.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
"The only condition imposed upon the State by said conveyance, the State's acceptance ol which was evidenced by the Governor's signing the deed on behalf of the State, is as follows:

'The State of Virginia, party of the third part, acting by and through the Governor of the Commonwealth, and pursuant to the terms and provisions of the special statute herein before mentioned, executes this instrument in token of her acceptance of the gift, and of her guarantee that she will hold said statue and pedestal and circle of ground perpetually sacred to the monumental purposes to which they have been devoted, and that she will faithfully guard it and affectionately protect it.' "
https://books.google.com/books?id=_...it and affectionately protect it" lee&f=false

Last edited:

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Seeing these statues and monuments torn down, defaced, and vandalized is disheartening. I'm all about the preservation of history, and hope that all Confederate monuments will remain.... but I fear this may be the nail in the coffin. This movement is taking over and has expanded to other countries. The political force is too great and any politician that resists the taking down of Confederate statues will be "labeled" and thus probably committing political suicide.

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
It's a 10 Day stay for now, but it very well could become a permanent one. Time will tell. As 19th Georgia has stated, it has a legal clause to keep it intact indefinitely.

It's true the city of Richmond has failed to keep it protected. There are clear rules on it and violators to be prosecuted for breaking them.
I wish I could agree with you... but I bet not one person is ever arrested or prosecuted for damaging them.

Paul Yancey

Sergeant
Seeing these statues and monuments torn down, defaced, and vandalized is disheartening. I'm all about the preservation of history, and hope that all Confederate monuments will remain.... but I fear this may be the nail in the coffin. This movement is taking over and has expanded to other countries. The political force is too great and any politician that resists the taking down of Confederate statues will be "labeled" and thus probably committing political suicide.
Afraid your right. Now its a battle to see who can out PC the other.

Noonanda

Private
I was down there Yesterday for the very reason of seeing them before they are taken down. I almost wish I hadnt. I had seen some of them before, but it was really bad.
AP Hill, it seems was spared for the most part because his Grave is off of Monument ave.

APHill.jpg

Davis.jpg

Jackson.jpg

Lee.jpg

Stuart.jpg