Monocacy National Battlefield (NPS Tour Stops)

They did have what I took for a brass Napoleon gun on the July 9th artillery demonstration there. :smile:

View attachment 108670 View attachment 108671
That is disappointing. I can see now from your picture that they are painted.

That one does look to be brass but it also looks like a modern replica, which would make sense since it's used for firing demonstrations. Don't be too disappointed - at least the NPS is attempting to mark the position of batteries, even if they likely no longer have enough originals to do it with. Considering the age and historical significance of all original pieces I'm somewhat surprised to see them still placed outdoors on battlefields. One of the most startling and unusual uses for replica guns I've seen is at Raymond, Mississippi where not just one or two cannon are used to represent an entire battery or position but at least eighteen of them representing an entire three-battery battalion standing virtually hub-to-hub:

dsc01741-jpg.jpg

Attachments

• dsc01741-jpg.jpg
    dsc01741-jpg.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 27
Great news! Frederick has a lot to offer and their plan makes sense.

I will definitely return for a visit. The new trail system will be the icing on the cake for the Monocacy National Battlefield.

Bill

The Battle of Monocacy (Monocacy Junction) was fought on this day in 1864. This battle was part of the Valley Campaigns during the American Civil War. Confederate forces under Lt. General Jubal A. Early defeated Federal forces under Major General Lew Wallace. The battle was part of Early's raid through the Shenandoah Valley in an attempt to divert Federal forces away from General Robert E. Lee's army under siege at Petersburg, Virginia.

FB_IMG_1531136648250.jpg

The Monocacy National Battlefield is still one of my favorite all-time favorite ACW sites in our nation!

Bill
Back in the dark ages, I happened to be passing by on the first day that they officially opened as a NMP and got to see this little gem.

Enjoy,
Bill
Great pictures! Thanks for posting!

When I first moved to Frederick more than 30 years ago, I worked in a new office park next to the Monocacy Battlefield--I really wasn't a big Civil War enthusiast at the time and had never heard of the battle. I learned that the office park where I worked had been built on a part of the battlefield they weren't able to save for preservation, so my desk was sitting on what was once the actual battlefield. This got me interested, so I started visiting the park on my lunch hour, learning more about the battle and the war in general. It's a really nice site with a lot of interesting places, and I'm glad to see more people are discovering it and appreciating what it has to offer!

One of my favorite battlefields!
Mine too! In fact, we'll be there tomorrow (Saturday July 10, 2021) with artillery firing demos, an infantry encampment, and fife & drum music! Anyone looking to commemorate the 157th anniversary of the battle, come by the Visitor's Center between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm!

Here's the park's Facebook Event notice for the "Battle Anniversary Extravaganza!"
https://www.facebook.com/events/156092926582227?acontext={"event_action_history":[{"surface":"page"}]}

Mine too! In fact, we'll be there tomorrow (Saturday July 10, 2021) with artillery firing demos, an infantry encampment, and fife & drum music! Anyone looking to commemorate the 157th anniversary of the battle, come by the Visitor's Center between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm!

Here's the park's Facebook Event notice for the "Battle Anniversary Extravaganza!"
https://www.facebook.com/events/156092926582227?acontext={"event_action_history":[{"surface":"page"}]}

Post plenty of photos, young man!

Bill

Back