Model 1816 Bayonet Interesting Markings

Chris Carroll

Private
s-l1600.jpg

Recent pick up. Model 1816 Bayonet.

Socket measures 3” with an inside diameter of .839” according to my caliper.

Overall length approximately 19” with a blade length of approximately 16”.
Marked US over EB. Any ideas on inspector EB? Also on shank L and C. On socket B 37.. Co. B 37th Regt???? Any thoughts on these markings greatly appreciated...
s-l1600a.jpg
s-l1600c.jpg
s-l1600d.jpg
s-l1600f.jpg
s-l1600j.jpg
s-l1600k.jpg
s-l1600kk.jpg
s-l1600ll.jpg
s-l1600u.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The "L" and "C" are sub-inspector marks for approving various steps in the production of the bayonet. The "B 37" is the alpha-numeric code applied to both the bayonet and the bayonet stud of the individual musket to which the bayonet was specifically hand-fit. As for the inspector's stamp on the blade of "EB", I just don't have that list available at this time!
J.

Just a quick check in my files... I did not see an "EB" listed as an inspector. However noted there was a E. Buell of Marlboro Conn that was a contract maker for the M1816.... could this possibly be a makers stamp... especially since the US/EB appears may be part of the same stamp die and impression depth... Just an observation...

Had more time to go through more of my files.....

"EB" = Elizur Bates.

Armorer at Springfield Armory in one role or capacity or another from 1816-1846.

Last edited:
Other Inspectors..EB Edmund Byrne, Lt., USN 1814-50
EB Elizur Bates, Armory S-l--Waters Model 1836 pistol 1841-46.

So could this be Edmund Byrne? Where did he work, other than being in US Navy??

Found another bayonet with similar marks. US over JB with small L and C. It also contains batch number on socket. So more clues to where this bayonet was made? So this JB Colonel James Bell a VA businessman was chosen as inspector I think at HF. So could my US over EB with small L and C be a product of Harpers Ferry?
us over jb l and c.jpg
b 87 us over jb l and c.jpg

Elizur Bates was first employed there at Springfield as blacksmith and forger starting in 1816... making pieces, parts, barrel bands, finishing, assembling weapons... and he was also making/forging bayonets... Bates was the Master Armorer there from 1834-37, then resigned from that role but continued to work there in other capacities, and later served as an inspector for there and he stated he traveled to the other armories "inspecting newly made arms and stamping".

There are other similar period bayonets that have US/SM, and US/TA and assorted others stamped in exact same fashion and lettering style.... One would generally assume this most likely the inspectors marks.... However did not find any known/listed inspectors there or at other armories with those specific initials, so could be assumed these may actually be the forger's mark instead.... or possibly could be either/or... Just an observation...

Frederick, Do you have any info on Erasmus Beale at HF?
I have seen many combinations of US over ?, but do you know of any others that are marked with the L and C and batch numbers as well? Maybe a specific armory.

I collect firearms but even though many came with bayonets I really never paid much attention to them as the seller always said it was the original bayonet the musket came with. Maybe, but I didn't care that much about the bayonet. After reading the above I took a look at a model 1816 musket that I have. It was made in Phila. in 1832, but not at the Frankford Arsenal but apparently under contract to a local gunsmith. The bayonet it came with is exactly like the one pictured here with the deeply incused US with an equally deeply incused JA. I can see no other markings. Any idea who JA might have been? By the way the same bayonet will mount in my 1795 Springfield , an 1808 contract variation, even thought bayonet lug is on the underside of the barrel.

Only Inspectors I could find JA
JA John Avis, ASI-I, Waters flintlock pistols 1837-38
JA J. Arnold Jr.., Armory S-l 1869-71
JA Joel Abbot, Lt., USN 1842- 55

But again, I'm thinking the markings under US, may not be inspectors, but Forgers of the Bayonet.

Back