Mixed results on weaponry

Insofar as Confederate mounted troops (both regular and irregular troops) carrying multiple revolvers, I tend to believe that this was true where sidearms were more available (more common among Missouri irregulars and others who would capture them from defeated Union troops where no CSA ordinance officer would be present to tell the unit commander to turn them over) and the notion that multiple spare cylinders were carried as a somewhat common practice is spurious at best. If anything, paper cartridges were already "rolled" and were used to reload the cylinder(s) of whatever number of revolvers the unit possessed while dismounted in between battles/skirmishes, as has been pointed out.

This is a thread posted on CWT a year ago or so and has several posts concerning the subject at hand:

The Missouri subset of CSA battles, much different than any other subset, is fairly well reviewed here, but it is in .pdf format and you will have to download it (the first entry on this Google search). I have it on my HDD but it is too large to attach here:

It all depends mainly upon which portion of the Confederate conflict you lean toward.

Your call.

Regards,

Jim

Back