Missouri Bushwacker, Guerrilla and Partisan Info:

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant
I have alot of links that really don't rate a thread of their own, so I guess I figured I'd just consolidate them all here.

This first one deals with Captain Jim Jackson a Partisan of questionable nature who operated in Northeast and North Central Missouri.

Admittedly I chuckled when I read this report from Capt. Reed MSM.

GLASGOW, January 11, 1865.
Brigadier-General FISK:

Lieutenant Gannon has returned. Run Jim Jackson out of his boots. Followed him eleven miles south of Fayette. Stopped at dark and went to Fayette. Lieutenant Williams with thirteen men started on his trial this morning. Jackson has been wounded in both thighs. Left his boots at the house where Gannon first came up with him. Lieutenant thinks he cannot ride all night, and wherever he stops he will be compelled to remain. Robinson had six revolvers. Had emptied two when he was shot through the head.

THOS. B. REED,
Captain, Commanding Post.

More on Jim Jackson here:http://civilwarthosesurnames.blogspot.com/2009/10/bushwhacker-bill-jim-jackson.html

The Companies of Reeves and Cunningham:

None of the within prisoners should be treated as prisoners of war - they comprise the meanest men that can ever lived in our country. If you will talk to Co. C, they can tell you what they would have done with me and my Co. if they could have got us in their possession. Look at the men - no men who look as they do should be allowed to live. They in general are a curse to the country when times were peaceable.

W. T. Leeper
Capt. Comdg. Post

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrbakerjr/provost2/southeastmo.htm

Robbery By Bushwackers Of The Steamboat Marcella
At Dover's Landing, Carroll County, Missouri

Statement by Andrew A. Belt to Capt. D. A. Calvert, concerning the robbery of the steamboat "Marcella" by 18 bushwhackers led by Mark Belt on 17 September 1863 near Holmes warehouse; Four Federal soldiers were on board at the time; Frank Dosier was Captain of the "Marcella".

Carrolton, Missouri Jan. 20th 1864

Andrew A. Belt of Dover Township, Lafayette Co., State of Mo.
Having been duly sworn, says that on or about the first of October 1863 about eighteen bushwackers came to Holmes warehouse where I was living at the time - in about two hours after they came the steamboat Marcella came up the river and they halted her - She immediately rang her bell and landed. There was no guns fired at the time - the Bushwackers proceeded to pillage the boat and took everything that they could find that they wanted.

There was four Federal soldiers aboard the boat - the first I saw of them however they were sitting on the bank - all were in their sock feet and two with nothing on but shirts and drawers, having been striped by the Bushwackers. The last I saw of them the Bushwackers had started off with them - they went south - I heard there was three of them murdered about two miles from where the boat was robbed.

I heard the Captain of the boat say he did not care what they took if they spared the ---------? (illegible). The leader of the robbers was Mark Belt. There was several men in the band whom I knew - Their names were Thos. Warren, James Warren, Dave Pool, Henry Hockensmith, Shelby Curtly, Gatewood, Henning, Wm. Yount.

Andrew A. Belt

Subscribed and Sworn to before me this 20th day of January 1864
D. A. Calvert, Captain
Co. E, 4th Prov E.M.M.
Carrolton, Mo.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrbakerjr/provost2/marcella.htm

Quantrill going South:
After a successful summer of raiding in Jackson, Johnson and surrounding counties, Quantrill and his men were on the march south to spend the winter in Texas when they fell in with Colonel Warner Lewis of the Missouri State Guard. On November 5, 1863, at 10:00 P.M., Col. William Quantrill and Col. Warner Lewis led their 300+ Confederate guerrillas into the town of Lamar. Quantrill's men entered Lamar from the north and Lewis's men from the south. They were after the Union outpost located there. They rode down the streets to the courthouse where they encountered Union soldiers. Capt. Martin Breeden and a company of the 8th Missouri Cavalry knew of the raid and were waiting for the Confederates. A firefight ensued for 1 1/2 hours. The Confederates were forced out of town but not before setting 1/3 of the town's houses of fire and losing 6 killed & over 20 wounded.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrbakerjr/provost3/lamar.htm

The Tom Yates Gang of Texas County, Missouri

Office Pro. Mar. Dist. Rolla
Rolla, Mo. Nov. 21st 1864

Statement of Wm. P. Sullens who being duly sworn deposes & says I live in Texas County Mo. About two months ago Tom Yates & five men came to my house & forced me to go with them. They took me down in Arkansas below Batesville. After I had been with them about a month they gave me a rifle to carry. We staid about Houston some8 three weeks before we went to Arkansas, about thirty of us altogether, under Capt. Coates.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrbakerjr/provost4/tomyates.htm

"Robinson had six revolvers." Sort of refutes the opinions of some posted here that six-guns were too heavy for more than two to be carried around with ease.

"Robinson had six revolvers." Sort of refutes the opinions of some posted here that six-guns were too heavy for more than two to be carried around with ease.

That's peppered all over the OR's from Missouri dealing with partisans a high number of revolvers although this with 6 is the highest number I think I have come across.

That's peppered all over the OR's from Missouri dealing with partisans a high number of revolvers although this with 6 is the highest number I think I have come across.
It does seem high. Maybe two or three were recently plundered and not meant to be carried on a raid.

The Partisans also had propensity to use saddle holsters.
Yeah, everything I've read would suggest that saddle holsters for extra pistols were in vogue among partisans East and West. The evidence that spare cylinders were kept loaded and ready for quick change seems not as good.

Yeah, everything I've read would suggest that saddle holsters for extra pistols were in vogue among partisans East and West. The evidence that spare cylinders were kept loaded and ready for quick change seems not as good.

I really don't buy the spare cylinder thing, much easier to pull another revolver. Given that alot of the "extra" pistols were captured from Federals the extra cylinders would be hard to come by.

This Roster was found by Yankee troops on one of the dead Missouri Partisan Rangers after a battle at Pleasant Hill, Missouri on July 11, 1862. This copy of the list was sent on July 16, 1862 by Capt. Henry I. Stienlin, Co. A, 1st Mo. Cav., to Headquarters in Jefferson City, Mo. (Ref. Provost Marshal file 22105 Reel F01660)

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrbakerjr/quantrill/roster.htm

Some Missouri Confederate Partisans/Guerrillas/Bushwackers

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrbakerjr/quantrill/vitals.htm

Carthage, Missouri Families Banished From Missouri
For Disloyalty and For Being Bushwackers
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrbakerjr/provost/carthagebanish.htm

Dent County, Missouri Families Of Bushwackers
Banished To The South
4 March 1865

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrbakerjr/provost/dentbanish.htm

Disloyal Citizens, Rebel Soldiers & Bushwackers In Pettis County, Missouri
As Reported To The Provost Marshal In 1864

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrbakerjr/provost/pettissymp.htm

I'm not familiar with the buckle theory. In a tintype the US ought to be reversed, so what's up with that buckle?

JIM Jackson's fight with the federals in 1864.

In the late fall or early winter of 1864, " Captain " Jim Jackson, a
guerrilla leader or bushwhacker, was operating in this section w^ith a
small band. With seven of his men he was sitting down to supper
m a house about two miles west of Sturgeon, and within three
hundred yards of the county line, when he was attacked by
Lieut. Keebaugh, of Glasgow, with a force of Federals forty-
five in number. Though surprised, the guerrillas were not dis-
concerted. Accustomed to every sort of fighting, they at once sprang
up and made for the door, drawing their revolvers as they rose and
firing them as they ran. The house, a little log cabin with one room,
was completely surrounded by the Federals, but Jackson and his men
cut their way out, and escaped with but the loss of one man badly
wounded, and he afterward recovered, and two horses, which were
brought into Sturgeon. The Federal loss was two men raortaMy
wounded and five slightly injured. The mortally wounded men died
shortly afterward. The wounded men were all left in charge of Dr. J.
S. Lockridge. He dressed their wounds, cared for them and stayed
with them that night, and sent them to Macon City with the two dead
men the next morning.

It was late in the evening when the fight occurred. Jackson and
his men escaped into the " Blackfoot countr}^" and Lieut. Keebaugh
went on to Sturgeon. On their way into town the Federals captured
Bill Woods and brought him in. He was confined in the court-house,
but made an almost miraculous escape. He left behind him his boots
and hat, together with almost unmistakable signs that he had fallen
into the big well, and this was the general opinion among friends as
well as foes. Cold as the weather was. Woods preferred to walk over
the prairies bareheaded and barefooted to staying and taking his
chances with the Federals.

Jim Jackson was originally from Texas. As stated by himself, he
joined the Texas Rangers at the outbreak of the war, went to Tennes-
see, killed a comrade, and then deserted and joined a Tennessee
cavalry regiment. He served under John Morgan and was on the
Ohio raid, in which he was captured. He escaped from Camp Doug-

HISTORY or BOONE COUNTY. 547

las, Chicago, in the early spring of 1864, and made his way into Mis-
souri, joining Holtzclaw's guerriUas in Chariton county. He was
soon made Holtzclaw's lieutenant, but afterward had a band of his
own. He surrendered to Capt, Cook, at Columbia, in the spring of
1865, but was killed by the Audrain militia soon after, while on hi&
way to Illinois.

HANGING or AMOS JUDY.

In 1863 Amos Judy, who lived a few miles southeast of Sturgeon,
was taken from his home one night by a band of bushwhackers, car-
ried away and never again heard of. Judy was a Union man who had
rendered himself especially obnoxious to the Confederates, by acting as
a guide and a spy for the Federals when they visited the township . He
had also been a member of Company B, 9th M. S. M. — Capt. Adams'
company of Guitar's regiment. Whatever became of Judy is not cer-
tainly known. It is believed, however, that he was taken over on
Silver's Fork and hung and his body secreted. His family made dili_
gent search and inquiry for his remains, but with no success.

In 1879, while a party of hunters were on Silver's Fork their atten-
tion was attracted by an old and somewhat peculiar " blaze " upon
the body of a tree, very high up, as though made by a person on
horse-back. A further investigation disclosed a slight depression in
the soil at the foot of the tree, bearing the outline of an old grave.
Strict inquiries of the oldest resident in the locality failed to discover
a clue as to who had been buried in such a strange, out-of-the-way
spot. Prompted by curiosity, the party procured a spade, and after
digging down about two feet they came upon portions of the charred
remains of a human skeleton, lying amidst a bed of ashes and charred
wood. At the head of the grave was found a small rusty hand axe.
The grave was situated due east and west, and its location is in a
direct line from where Judy lived, being but a very short distance
from his residence. But what is more significant, it is in the identi-
cal direction pursued by the party on that memorable night. When
we take into consideration the circumstance that it was rumored at
the time of his disappearance that Judy was first shot and then his
body burned, it seems reasonable to suppose that the secret of his
grave has been discovered. At least such appears to be the general
impression .

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-e...nd-comp-from-the-most-authentic-off-olt.shtml

Jim Cummins The Guerrilla, by Jim Cummins

getimage.jpg

http://cdm.sos.mo.gov/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/shscivilwar&CISOPTR=1016&REC=16

Link to the Border Star Newspaper, published in Westport Missouri from 1858 to 1860 covering the end of the "Bleeding Kansas" period.

http://cdm.sos.mo.gov/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=/borderstar

Link to the Liberty Tribune, Clay County Missouri, this link contains articles and information going back to the 1840's and continuing to the 1880's. It covers the Border War, Civil War and the James-Younger Gang Period:

http://cdm.sos.mo.gov/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=/libertytrib

Link to the Saint Louis Republican 1861-65

http://statehistoricalsocietyofmissouri.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/dmr

Link to Saint Louis Christian Advocate, gives the Methodist Minister's take on the issues:

http://cdm.sos.mo.gov/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=/christadvoc

"On the morning of May 10, 1865, storm clouds began to spread over Kentucky. Quantrill had been at John Bedford Russell's home on Ashes Creek in Spencer County at the Spencer-Nelson County line. While there, Russell's daughter, Betty, 18, presented Quantrill with a beautiful saddlebred horse. McClaskey family tradition says Quantrill and his men, numbering between 15 and 20, rode out that Wednesday morning toward Chaplin, to the southeast and stopped at the home of Newell McClaskey, then proceeded northward in the direction of Taylorsville.

The horsemen turned in at the gate of farmer James Heady Wakefield where a Negro blacksmith, Almstead Jacobs, operated a shop. Jacobs said later that he counted 21 riders. James Heady Wakefield reported Quantrill had 15 men with him, and that was nearly the same total heard most often in local recollections by old timers.

In his Noted Guerrillas, or the Warfare of the Border, John Newman Edwards had a partial list of the men with Quantrill that day: John Ross, Allen Palmer, William Hulse, Lee McMurtry, Bud and Donnie Pence, Dick Glasscock, Clark Hockensmith, Isaac Hall and David Helton. A Bloomfield-area guerrilla, Eliphilet "Babe" Hunter was there, according to his son, Phil Hunter, interviewed by the author many years ago when he was in his 90s. Others present may have included: Jackie Graham, Ran Venable, Andy McGuire, Jim Lilly, Tucker Basham and Slyvester Akers. That would be 17.

It had been raining and as Quantrill and his men approached Wakefield's barn, the rain became a deluge. The horsemen, dripping wet, dismounted and took cover under the barn's sheds that projected out 15 feet on three sides of the structure. Babe Hunter, 25, spoke with Quantrill just before the guerrilla chief took a nap in the mow. Quantrill had told the Missourians he had known the South was losing the war and wanted to get the men to Virginia so they could surrender with Gen. Robert E. Lee and be paroled. That goal having been lost because of Lee's surrender in April, 1865, he was now asking them to follow him to Mexico.

Others also talked in the barn, sampled whisky supplied by Wakefield, and a few were involved in a sham battle, using corncobs as weapons. At the same time federal decoy guerrilla Ed Terrell of Shelby County and 20 of his men were arriving at the blacksmith shop where Terrell saw horse tracks in the mud, leading up the rough farm road to Wakefield's place. Blacksmith Almstead Jacobs confirmed that riders had gone toward Wakefield's a short time earlier. Had he said anything else, and Terrell later discover that he lied, Jacobs knew he would be a dead man.

http://kykinfolk.com/spencer/Military/Civil.War/william.quantrill.htm

Among the first acts of violence committed in the county after war had commenced was the robbery and murder of George W. Broome, which occurred in the summer of 1861. Mr. Broome was a native of Georgia and had resided in Jasper county a number of years, a young man, unmarried and living on his farm in Georgia City. He was quite wealthy, owning several thousand acres of land, and was engaged in stock raising and farming. He also owned a number of slaves, besides a large amount of other personal property, and was understood to have a considerable sum of money. A body of men, supposed to have been mainly from across the state line of Kansas, came to Broome's house in the daytime and murdered him, burned his house, seized and carried away his money and much personal property. This was the first assassination and robbery occurring after the breaking out of war, and roused a strong feeling for revenge among Broome's friends, who charged some of Broome's neighbors with complicity in the outrage. Some of Broome's friends, citizens of Jasper County, soon after this one night took out John Ireland, who lived near Broome, and after giving him a form of trial on the charge of participation in the murder of Broome, hung him. Some prominent citizens of Jasper County were afterward charged with a part in the hanging of Ireland. These events were only a prelude to the conditions with prevailed afterward.[SIZE=-2][25][/SIZE]

http://www.historical-footprints-2010.com/bunch_3.html

Evidence of this came in March of 1862, when Union Major-General H. W. Halleck issued General Order Number 2. This order charged General Price with having issued military commissions to "certain bandits" who were being sent to form guerilla organizations in the state of Missouri. It further declared all members of such organizations as outside the rules of warfare. These men would not be treated as prisoners of war, but rather would be summarily hung - or shot, as the case often proved. Commanders of neighboring districts swiftly issued comparably ruthless orders.
Confederate Major General Hindman moved quickly to implement his own resources. On June 17, 1862, he issued General Orders No. 17, calling for the organization of "independent companies," with directives to carry on the fight without waiting on orders from higher command.
Upon his return to Missouri, Poindexter would retain his commission from the MSG, but his mission would be to recruit and organize a regiment for Confederate service, north of the Missouri River. These units would fall under the immediate command of General Sterling Price. Given the same mission were men including Joseph C. Porter, Upton Hays, and Joseph "Jo" Shelby. While a key battle had been lost, the fight for Missouri was far from over.
Colonel Poindexter readily embraced the challenge, and moved with sure swiftness through the back-roads and hidden lanes of northeast Missouri. In short order, he raised his own Confederate cavalry troop, known simply and collectively as Poindexter's Regiment. Union estimates placed his command at numbers anywhere between 400 and 1200 men, recruited in counties including Green, Howard, and Randolph. The Poindexter Cavalry's main theater of operation lay in the north-central part of Missouri, ranging east from Carroll to Monroe County and even Lincoln, south from Schuyler to Boone County. This area included the soon-to-be consolidated St. Louis and Northeastern Divisions, which came under the command of a Federal colonel named Lewis Merrill. Merrill's resentment of Poindexter's activities in his sector would, in time, take on personal meaning.
The letters of Union high-command reveal their alarm at the mushroom-rate of Southern guerilla organization. A missive by Brigadier General J. M. Schofield reads in part, "I am satisfied that we can restore quiet to North Missouri only by occupying a large number of points, at least one in every county, by cavalry as well as infantry."
Many of the men who now joined irregular service under Poindexter and his fellows were said to be returned Southern soldiers, released from regular duty. They found no peace awaiting them at home, and the guerilla units offered them a ready means to strike back at Federal forces, whom they saw as invading their neighborhoods. In another account, General Schofield plaintively admits, ". . . They have been repeatedly been beaten, [but] their numbers seem to increase faster than we can kill them." Official reports soon speak of Poindexter in the same breath as that nefarious guerilla, William Quantrill, although no evidence has yet surfaced to suggest that he was of Quantrill's ruthless bent. That he led his men in unconventional warfare was black enough. Poindexter's and Porter's men now fought with the desperate certainty that capture meant death.

http://www.missouridivision-scv.org/poindexter.htm

List Of Prisoners In Confinement At Posts
On The Line Of The North Missouri Railroad
February 28 1862

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrbakerjr/provost/nmrrprisoners.htm

Report That Guerrilla Clifford D. Holtzclaw Is Hiding
In Pike County, Illinois
Using The Name Andrew Johnson
(The President's Name)

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrbakerjr/provost/holtzclaw.htm

During the years 1862 and 1863, the John Maddox gang terrorized most of Johnson County, Missouri. Unlike most of the Missouri wartime groups, they were not Southern Partisans.

They were an independent Company of Union Soldiers, called "Company Q", that was loosely attached to the Union Army Post at Knob Noster. To distinguish their group each wore a large red badge around his hat crown. They were led by Capt. John Maddox (alias Capt. Beaver) and Lieut. William E. Chester (alias Lieut. Johnson).

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrbakerjr/provost/johnmaddox.htm

Back