Sutlers- Cheers & Jeers Missouri Boot and Shoe Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

History36

Private
Hello all,

When asked, 'who makes a quality custom boot?' almost everyone replies back, "oh, Missouri Boot and Shoe Co. is the place to go!' Well, is there anyone else or does Robert at Missouri Boot and Shoe hold the monopoly on this particular craft globally?

Reason being, for the past four-five months - the ONLY progress that I have made is sharing a few measurements. When I actually get an occasional reply back from him, he never really answers all of my questions and I always get, 'need more measurements, need more measurements, need more measurements.' Even when I have supplied him 'measurements.' This whole process could be done in days - not months. I certainly realize folks get busy (I work six sometimes seven days a week, myself), but if he keeps forgetting misc. things, do I really want him to manufacture a pair of boots? I don't know if I'm going to keep trying anymore. I, or anyone, being a 'customer' shouldn't have to keep chasing after a business to take their money.

With that being said, is there anyone - ANYONE - that can custom make a boot other than Missouri Boot and Shoe Co....?

Thank you for any info!

Last edited:
I just ordered a pair of Confederate shoes and a set of Confederate leathers from him a few weeks ago going by all the good reviews he has on this site and the authentic campaigner site. There are instructions with diagrams on his site under the ordering info on how to size your foot and trace it. I think I did everything the way they wanted so hopefully I won`t have the same problems. I know custom orders take time, it took me months to get a hat from Dirty Billy but it was worth the wait. I`m not worried about how long it takes being I have a fair pair of brogans and a set suttler row leathers that are ok but trying to kick my impression up a notch. I spoke with Robert and he seems like a great guy and said to check in if I hadn`t heard anything after 30 days. I`m really just hoping to have them by Gettysburg. I hope everything works out for you and get what you want and I will definitely post on here a follow up when I get my stuff.

Hello all,

When asked, 'who makes a quality custom boot?' almost everyone replies back, "oh, Missouri Boot and Shoe Co. is the place to go!' Well, is there anyone else or does Robert at Missouri Boot and Shoe hold the monopoly on this particular craft globally?

Reason being, for the past four-five months - the ONLY progress that I have made is sharing a few measurements with Robert...yes, after four-five months. I'm guessing that he doesn't really need the business. When I actually get an occasional reply back from him, he never really answers all of my questions and I always get, 'need more measurements, need more measurements, need more measurements.' Even when I have supplied him 'measurements' and even provided him with a dozen close up shots of the very same boots to be replicated...and have informed him numerous times that there is only so much that I can provide from the original boot since they're in a museum five hours away from where I live, he simply replies back, "need more tracings and measurements." Come on. I even suggested to him that instead of me having to keep guessing what he needs and sharing 'measurements' over a span of four-five long months, why not simply provide potential customers a diagram on your website showing 'exactly' what you need customers to to do when measuring and have it submitted with an order? He has even informed me that it's an easy boot to replicate! This whole process could be done in days - not months. I certainly realize folks get busy (I work six sometimes seven days a week, myself), but if he keeps forgetting misc. things, do I really want him to manufacture a pair of boots? I don't know if I'm going to keep trying anymore. I, or anyone, being a 'customer' shouldn't have to keep chasing after a business to take their money.

With that being said, is there anyone - ANYONE - that can custom make a boot other than Missouri Boot and Shoe Co....?

Thank you for any info!
Ouch! I'm sorry for all your frustration. I don't know the company and I don't know an alternate for you, but I expect someone will help you out shortly. In the meantime welcome from the heart of Missouri, where most people are very accommodating and where they do what they say they're going to do.

You might try with Mattimore Harness or Lukas Berg Reproductions. Without knowing what exact style of shoe/boot you are wanting to reproduce I can't guarantee that either of the a fore mentioned companies can make them for you, but Lukas does offer a variety of shoes and bootees. With Robert Land retired, Missouri Boot and Shoe offers the widest selection of Civil War era footwear of any vendor I am familiar with.

I think the bottle neck that you are going to run into is that you aren't looking at a custom pair of shoes, but an actual custom shoe. I don't know anyone in the authentic end of the hobby that claims to make an actual replica of anything without having examined the item themselves. I'm sure that someone could produce an approximation of the shoes you want reproduced, based on a pair they already produce.

I'm no cordwainer, but I will add that it my be cost ineffective for you to have someone start producing a brand new type of footwear. Aside from simple measurements of the shoe they may end up having to make a completely new laste to form them properly.

Hope that helps some,

Garrett

I've had nothing but great experiences with Robert! And recommend him fully for any new leather need or repairs!! Very knowledgeable and friendly!!

Thank you gents for your replies,

Glad to hear that you had a good experience, but I'm not impressed with this business. Robert assured me that it was an easy job and it was nothing that he hadn't already done before. No problem. Even though it was for a custom boot, I've had to repeatedly email, and even personally call Robert, dating back to January of this year regarding some minor questions that I had because communication and simple responses from him were extremely slow and/or he didn't answer the questions altogether. Before I spend nearly $400 for something (anything), I simply wanted to double-check some minor odd/ends before-hand. I've noticed that a lot of companies today, in general, just like you to 'send them your money' while they feel that you're inconveniencing them by asking questions.

Anyhow, finally - as in the past two weeks - communication with him finally picked up (keep in mind this is May and our dialogue began back in January) and I noted that things are good to go, I sent in my tracing, measurements, etc. and noted that in two weeks, payment will be sent when I get paid. Didn't hear one problem with that whatsoever from Robert during our chats - all 'seemed' perfectly fine! Then, all of a sudden, I get an email from Elizabeth from the business stating that payment hasn't been sent within the past 10 days and that they demand payment in full before any work is done. I assured her that I spoke with Robert that there will be a slight delay, but by all means - assist other customers in the meantime if need be. During Elizabeth's email, she (surprisingly) went on a rant about how I supposedly, 'expected them to do the work, make the boots, and how they don't appreciate how my plan is to just wait til' they're made / finished before I decide to purchase them or not.' Where in the heck did they come up with that bogus allegation?? If anything, I've been trying to make a purchase for the past 5 months! Not only that, but they cancelled the order and totally scrapped my project. Apparently, it's okay to have customers wait 5 months, but they can't wait 10 days for a payment?! Although I realize that their business is on a 'first come first serve' basis, you mean to tell me that they couldn't put my info (all but 3 pages) off to the side for two weeks and help someone else in the meantime? A little communication goes a long way before 'jumping the gun' and sending me that kind of email. Neither Robert nor Elizabeth 'ever' notified me that my order would be automatically cancelled on a whim without at least trying to work together & simply make sure that we're all on the same page before sending that kind of email. Again, all seemed fine the last that I chatted with Robert and he knew that payment would be sent in 2 weeks! If they, or anyone here, must know - I needed an emergency repair on my tooth and that was the delay til' my next paycheck. Newsflash: life happens Missouri Boot and Shoe Co.! I get paid later this week and the funds are there. Done. But, hey, that's $400 less in their pocket.

I'm not bashing their company, their workmanship, or even slandering anyone's business. I'm simply stating my personal feedback based on their 'customer service.' A word to potential buyers - DO NOT wait one millisecond past the 10 day deadline! I feel that after all of this run-a-round dating 5 months, I'm exhausted and tapping out in trying to just place an order for a pair of boots. Good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:
Thankfully, I had a different experience. I was told it was going to be some months before my large order would be completed and with one check on an update, which was quickly replied to, I received the order with minimal fuss.

Again all I can vouch is my personal experiences. With custom one of a kind boots I would imagine one as a business model would keep orders rolling along. It's not like these are a standard large tee shirts or the like that could be put back on the rack!! I've been at events with Robert where he has passed around a pair of boots, leathers etc that were never paid for. Passed until they fit someone well enough for them to be purchased..... at a steep discount mind you!!! I could only imagine how many times this has happened!!! I've seen enough of his work that I've paid partly or in most case paid in full before hand.

So glad that you guys had a different experience. For me, never again will I consider them. Not to jump to conclusions, accusations, etc., but their business almost seemed as if they were the ones blessing my feet with their product as if I needed them and they didn't need me. Yet, in reality, it's the other way around - without customers, such as you and I, we're the ones that keep them in business, their doors open, and butter on their bread.

Shops that appreciate this factor tend to have the better customer service. For instance, I once purchased a custom leather jacket out of London, England. They maintained excellent communication between parties because the last thing that either of us wanted was something unexpected simply because - the lack of simple communication. And, of course, to generate repeat customers both directly and word-of-mouth with others as well. It's as simple as that. Throughout the years, I've purchased numerous jackets from this London shop without any issues at all to demonstrate that I'm not just being difficult and with good communication; think how much smoothly transactions could actually go. And, London is 3,000 miles away across 'the pond' in another country altogether, yet Missouri Boot & Shoe is right here in the US! Anyhow, I'll conclude my rant to say that I'm glad that other folks had a positive outcome, but for me 5 months later (which was a total waste of time in trying to have something made) I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in contacting them again at any point in the future and honestly cannot recommend them to those whom I meet in the hobby with no reason to fabricate. What reason would I have? For those who wish to read this experience, it's up to you to decide for yourselves. Anyhow, I'm over it - life moves on & I wish them the very best in their business. The end.

Last edited:
I have to follow up on this being I have an order with them as I said above I made now a little over a month ago. I have to admit the previous posts got me a little nervous so I sent them an email requesting the status of my order and that I was hoping to have my stuff in time for Gettysburg. I got an email back within an hour thanking me for my order, reviewed my order and shipping address and said my order should ship out middle of next month in time for the event. So far so good as far as I'm concerned and again I placed my order on the phone with Robert who couldn't have been nicer and made some recommendations when I told him the impression I was shooting for and then sent in my size chart and tracings by mail with no problems. I've ordered custom things before so I know they take time and as far as customer service goes they have been good to me. I will follow up again when I get my stuff.

Another update, it was down to the wire but as they said I just received my order of Confederate leathers in time for Gettysburg. Everything looks great and the shoes fit like a glove. Going to really kick my impresion up a notch. Very happy with everything and wouldn't hesitate ordering from them in the future and would definitely recommend them. Just keep in mind custom orders take time, mine was about 2 and a half months and I'm very happy with that and that they got my order to me in time for my trip.
20170627_154159.jpg

Another update, it was down to the wire but as they said I just received my order of Confederate leathers in time for Gettysburg. Everything looks great and the shoes fit like a glove. Going to really kick my impresion up a notch. Very happy with everything and wouldn't hesitate ordering from them in the future and would definitely recommend them. Just keep in mind custom orders take time, mine was about 2 and a half months and I'm very happy with that and that they got my order to me in time for my trip.View attachment 145510
Which Model of shoe did you order?
Thanks!

Which Model of shoe did you order?
Thanks!
The CS-6 Confederate shoe. It's a copy of a shoe made by a Richmond shoemaker, Robert told me the guy's name and history behind it but I forgot the details. I was leaning toward one of the English shoes but when I told Robert I fall in with ANV units he recommended that shoe. They definitely look good and they fit good and comfortable right out of the box. You can tell they are much better made than the generic suttler brogans I've been wearing. I'm sure they will hold up well in the field, they'll get put to use this weekend.

The CS-6 Confederate shoe. It's a copy of a shoe made by a Richmond shoemaker, Robert told me the guy's name and history behind it but I forgot the details. I was leaning toward one of the English shoes but when I told Robert I fall in with ANV units he recommended that shoe. They definitely look good and they fit good and comfortable right out of the box. You can tell they are much better made than the generic suttler brogans I've been wearing. I'm sure they will hold up well in the field, they'll get put to use this weekend.
Thanks!!.....I fall in with AoT.....Still deciding on which shoe from them I want to get!

Thanks!!.....I fall in with AoT.....Still deciding on which shoe from them I want to get!
I had the same problem. When I got Robert on the phone (it did take a few tries) he asked me what my impression was and what events I go to and started making some recommendations. He was a pleasure to talk to, he genuinely seemed interested in what I do and told some war stories from his reenacting experiences, like catching up with a old buddy. I'd give him a call and tell him what you do and I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.

He was the same way with me when I called to determine which cartridge box I should order. Ended up with the "generic Confederate" box. Took a couple of months to get to me but when it showed up, it's a beautiful box and definitely worth the wait. Just need some better shoes, cap pouch and a bayonet scabbard and I'm good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back