Missouri American Civil War Battlefields, Museums and Sites

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Calling All Missourians (American Civil War Buffs Too).....

I am planning a trip next year to visit all or most American Civil War battlefields, museums and sites in the state of Missouri.

Visited :

* Boonville
* Byram's Ford (Big Blue River)
* Jefferson Barracks (Museum was closed due to Covid-19)
* Lexington
* Westport
* Wilson's Creek (Oak Hills)

Please add your opinions/recommendations on the Missouri battlefields, museums and sites you have visited.

Here is the Civil War Missouri Passport Book I purchased last Fall. It is a children's "Stamp Book" but it is filled with great information with maps.

67f42-mo-passport-visit-sites.pp13.png

Thanks in advance!
Bill

Athens is nice little park but obviously way off by itself, though if go to it could do Hannibal/Paris with Mark Twain stuff if it interested you.

Fort Davidson at Pilot Knob a pretty well preserved original earthwork fortification.

Newtonia had two battles fought at it, but been looooong time since I visited it.

Running north from Carthage, you can follow Civil War Road, the route along which Sigel's command fought a running battle with the Missouri State Guard in 1861. Historical markers along the road interpret the high points of the action. Last time I was in Carthage, there was a very nice Civil War museum downtown.

Just east of Kansas City on US 50, there's a nice little battlefield and visitor center at Lone Jack.

South of Kansas City, near the Kansas border, the State maintains the battlefield of Island Mound where the first action involving black Union soldiers took place. There is a walking trail and an interpretation kiosk.

I hope that I am not too late, but I found a very good museum in Carthage, MO.

Back