Mississippi Monument Dedication Coming Up This Fall at Shiloh!

Championhilz

First Sergeant
I just wanted to share the news - the base for the new Mississippi Monument at Shiloh has been installed! The sculpture will be added soon, and the dedication of the monument is scheduled for October 10, 2015. This is a moment that I have been waiting for all my life - I thought it was a terrible shame that my home state did not have a memorial at Shiloh, given how many of her sons fought and died there. To give you an idea of what the monument will look like, here is a scale model:

Shiloh%20Monument_zpszfheht0j.jpg

The monument will be placed in Rhea's Field, where the 6th Mississippi Infantry fought and suffered 70% casualties.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Excellent! My grandfather's much older half brother, Pvt. Jesse Fox of Blythe's 1st Miss. Btn. - later the 44th Miss., Bushrod Johnson's Brigade was killed very near there on the 6th. I believe they were on the right of Cleburne's Bgde and the 6th Miss. in the Shiloh Church area. His company 'C' was the Calhoun Avengers, his very good friend and neighbor "Blind Bob" Conner was in the same Company and as we discussed some time ago later became a sharpshooter and was blinded at Atlanta. After the war Conner married Jesse's sister.

Excellent! My grandfather's much older half brother, Pvt. Jesse Fox of Blythe's 1st Miss. Btn. - later the 44th Miss., Bushrod Johnson's Brigade was killed very near there on the 6th. I believe they were on the right of Cleburne's Bgde and the 6th Miss. in the Shiloh Church area. His company 'C' was the Calhoun Avengers, his very good friend and neighbor "Blind Bob" Conner was in the same Company and as we discussed some time ago later became a sharpshooter and was blinded at Atlanta. After the war Conner married Jesse's sister.
Great Uncle Jesse Fox on find a grave. Died at Shiloh, his sister Nannie Hughes Fox, listed below, married Robert 'Blind Bob' Conner.

Jesse Thomas Fox

Birth: Jan. 29, 1841
Alabama, USA
Death: Apr. 6, 1862
Tennessee, USA
Expired Image Removed

Family links:
Parents:
Hally Fox (1820 - 1896)
Sarah Hughes Fox (1819 - 1862)

Siblings:
Jesse Thomas Fox (1841 - 1862)
Nannie Hughes Fox Conner (1843 - 1920)*
Andrew Fuller Fox (1849 - 1926)*
Emma Fox Puthuff (1852 - 1922)*
Lee Thomas Fox (1870 - 1960)**
Grace Fox (1872 - 1874)**
Elizabeth Fox Truly (1878 - 1958)**
Hally Fox (1881 - 1957)**

Burial:
Greenwood Cemetery
West Point
Clay County
Mississippi, USA

Created by: Wilton Golson
Record added: Jun 10, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 71127475
Expired Image Removed
Cemetery Photo
Added by: NatalieMaynor
addAPhotoSmall.gif
requestAPhotoSmall.gif

Photos may be scaled.
Click on image for full size.

CF47148875_127878656742.jpg
Died at the Battle of Shiloh
- SLGMSD
Added: Dec. 26, 2013

I just wanted to share the news - the base for the new Mississippi Monument at Shiloh has been installed! The sculpture will be added soon, and the dedication of the monument is scheduled for October 10, 2015. This is a moment that I have been waiting for all my life - I thought it was a terrible shame that my home state did not have a memorial at Shiloh, given how many of her sons fought and died there. To give you an idea of what the monument will look like, here is a scale model:

Shiloh%20Monument_zpszfheht0j.jpg

The monument will be placed in Rhea's Field, where the 6th Mississippi Infantry fought and suffered 70% casualties.

col robert lowry of the 6th miss is my ancestor. he was wounded at shiloh in the chest and leg. i would like more info on the monument ceremony in oct 15.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)