Mississippi Monument at Vicksburg

DRW

Sergeant
IMG_0224.jpg

From the NPS description: The Mississippi State Memorial is located on Confederate Avenue at Milepost 12.3 of the park tour road. It was erected at a cost of $32,000 and dedicated on November 13, 1909 by Governor F. E. Noel and accepted by Blewett Lee. The bronze work was fabricated in Rome, Italy and shipped to New Orleans, LA on April 20, 1912. The memorial is constructed of Mount Airy, NC Granite and is 76' high.

The bronze work represents various actions of the Mississippi troops during the Siege of Vicksburg. At the monument's front is a statue of Clio, Muse of History. Sculpted by Frederick E. Triebel, the memorial was damaged by lightening in 1951. The memorial was repaired in 1954 by Western Waterproofing Company of Jackson, MS under contract with the State of Mississippi.https://www.nps.gov/vick/learn/historyculture/mississippi-memorial.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks as though it's been renovated relatively recently; I've seen it when pistols have been broken out of the soldiers' hands, rifle barrels and bayonets twisted in an effort to break them off, etc. As I remember, the statue of Lloyd Tilghman there still has a shoddy-looking replacement blade for his saber, broken off many years ago.

Reactions: DRW
This is grand. I'd been there but I'm again in awe. Thanks.

Odd thought comes to me. Has anyone ever found and noted the least and smallest monument on any of these major national battlelfield sites? I'd be really curious to find such and record it for here. I'll poke around Gettysburg this July.

This is grand. I'd been there but I'm again in awe. Thanks.

Odd thought comes to me. Has anyone ever found and noted the least and smallest monument on any of these major national battlelfield sites? I'd be really curious to find such and record it for here. I'll poke around Gettysburg this July.
According to our resident cavalry expert, author @Eric Wittenberg , the most meager commemorative dedicated to an individual is a rather small flagpole on East Cavalry Battlefield there commemorating a regimental adjutant - sorry, Eric, I forget his name! - who did much to preserve and interpret that part of Gettysburg Battlefield.

According to our resident cavalry expert, author @Eric Wittenberg , the most meager commemorative dedicated to an individual is a rather small flagpole on East Cavalry Battlefield there commemorating a regimental adjutant - sorry, Eric, I forget his name! - who did much to preserve and interpret that part of Gettysburg Battlefield.

Lt. William Brooke-Rawle of the 3rd Pennsylvania Cavalry.

Those are certainly unusual camera or viewing angles - it's nice to see the detail up close on this impressive monument!

Back