Period Mississippi Delta Recipes ( updated)

I thought some members may enjoy this article about our " Mississippi Delta cuisine" .
The original article has been updated.

The Literature of Food and Cooking in the Mississippi Delta: An Overview

When it comes to the literature of food and cooking in the Mississippi Delta, there’s a lot out there; this document only scratches the surface. Though I am including fiction, periodicals and personal accounts such as memoirs, community cookbooks are the keys to food and cooking the Delta, and those keys open a lot of doors.
Ground Zero
The food of the Mississippi Delta is for the most part typical of Southern foods. Some time ago, I made a list of 12 essential dishes any Southern cook needs to know. I ran it by my friends on social media, and it was like I’d thrown a June bug down in a chicken run. It took a month before the dust settled and I was able to nail it down. Here they are:
baby-cornbread-blog2a-300x295.jpgButtermilk biscuits
Cornbread
Pimiento and cheese
Fried chicken
Barbecued pork
Pound cake
Fruit cobbler
Cornbread dressing
Chicken and dumplings
Sweet potato pie
Banana pudding
Stewed greens
I consider this a list of representative foods you might find anywhere in the Lower South as well as Mississippi, but in the Delta you have one big distinction, that being the cultural influence of New Orleans.

The entire article may be read at:

https://jesseyancy.com/the-literature-of-food-and-cooking-in-the-mississippi-delta-an-overview/

Biscoitos

Corporal
I thought some members may enjoy this article about our " Mississippi Delta cuisine" .
The original article has been updated.

The Literature of Food and Cooking in the Mississippi Delta: An Overview

When it comes to the literature of food and cooking in the Mississippi Delta, there’s a lot out there; this document only scratches the surface. Though I am including fiction, periodicals and personal accounts such as memoirs, community cookbooks are the keys to food and cooking the Delta, and those keys open a lot of doors.
Ground Zero
The food of the Mississippi Delta is for the most part typical of Southern foods. Some time ago, I made a list of 12 essential dishes any Southern cook needs to know. I ran it by my friends on social media, and it was like I’d thrown a June bug down in a chicken run. It took a month before the dust settled and I was able to nail it down. Here they are:
View attachment 395687Buttermilk biscuits
Cornbread
Pimiento and cheese
Fried chicken
Barbecued pork
Pound cake
Fruit cobbler
Cornbread dressing
Chicken and dumplings
Sweet potato pie
Banana pudding
Stewed greens
I consider this a list of representative foods you might find anywhere in the Lower South as well as Mississippi, but in the Delta you have one big distinction, that being the cultural influence of New Orleans.

The entire article may be read at:

https://jesseyancy.com/the-literature-of-food-and-cooking-in-the-mississippi-delta-an-overview/
Interesting about Lafcadio Hearn.
Despite all the time I had spent in New Orleans from age 8 to my late forties, I had never heard of him.
Until my third trip to Japan, when I visited Matsue, on the northern shore of Honshu. We were treated to a fantastic tour of the area by our hosts. The most unexpected part of which was being taken to the home he lived in during his sojourn in Japan. It was here that our tour guide "introduced" me to the man whose writings "invented" the image of New Orleans that the world is familiar with.
How strange and fascinating this was.
Hearn wrote about New Orleans during the 10 years he lived there, roughly the 1880s. He moved to Matsue in 1890.
Incidentally, in Japan, Hearn is more widely remembered as Koizumi Yakumo, a westerner who became a writer of Japanese ghost stories.
There's a lot more to the very interesting life that he lived.

Yep. And what about delicious summer veggies; purple hulls and crowder peas, yellow squash - nothing better than squash casserole.

Bet @7th Mississippi Infantry remembers the old doubtable restaurants in Mendenhall and McComb.
Oh Yes !

The Revolving Tables restaurant in Mendenhall and The Dinner Bell in McComb.

The Revolving Tables closed about twenty years ago, but the Dinner Bell is going strong.
(I think the Dinner Bell may be the last restaurant of this type left in Mississippi).

Both restaurants (along with a recipe for squash casserole) are mentioned in this article:

https://www.hattiesburgamerican.com...0/10/st-john-roundtable-restaurants/73653064/

Last edited: