• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

To Drink Miss Beecher's Cranberry Tea

miss beecher's cranberry tea
(from Miss Beecher's Domestic Receipt-book, by Catharine Esther Beecher, 1846)

Ingredients:

cranberries​
boiling water​
sugar​
nutmeg​

Instructions:

Wash ripe cranberries, mash them, pour boiling water on them, and then strain off the water and sweeten it, and grate on nutmeg.​

512px-Cranberries.jpg
Cranberries by Mariluna [
CC BY-SA 3.0]

This recipe is ideal for cooler weather and for month of November.

Last edited by a moderator:
This recipe is from "Miss Beecher's Domestic Receipt Book". It is ideal for cooler weather and for month of November.

Wash ripe cranberries, mash them, pour boiling water on them, and then strain off the water and sweeten it, and grate on nutmeg.

Sounds interesting. I might toss in come cinnamon instead of nutmeg. I like nutmeg, but I just think cinnamon might be more suited to a hot cranberry tea. Maybe a nice orange dash of orange juice and a slice of orange to garnish might be nice, too. You can tell I watch too many cooking shows, right? :whistling:

Looks wonderful! I'd not change a thing--the very simplicity of the recipe is probably what makes it.

Back