Minie Balls from Grant's Canal

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
Minie Balls from Grant's Canal.JPG

Here are some minie balls I found in Union camps at the site of Grant's Canal across the river from Vicksburg.
In 1863, Grant attempted to build a canal in the bend of the Mississippi river so he could divert the Union flotilla past the Confederate batteries at Vicksburg.
However, when the spring rains came, the canal project got washed out.
Funny how history repeats itself. As I'm writing this, the site is still under water from our recent floods!

View attachment 348471
Here are some minie balls I found in Union camps at the site of Grant's Canal across the river from Vicksburg.
In 1863, Grant attempted to build a canal in the bend of the Mississippi river so he could divert the Union flotilla past the Confederate batteries at Vicksburg.
However, when the spring rains came, the canal project got washed out.
Funny how history repeats itself. As I'm writing this, the site is still under water from our recent floods!
Did they come from the area where the trailers are now?

Was this the same canal that was started by the troops of General Thomas Williams the year before? If so these minie balls may be older than you think.
Are you referring to the Duckport Canal that was built to connect the Mississippi river with Walnut Bayou? That canal was built prior to Grant's "big" canal project south of there. I've found stuff around Duckport Canal as well. That was a busy area!

I used to hunt those west bank yankee camps back in the 80's and I'm going to go out on a limb and say with all the flooding there won't be much relic hunting in there this year.

I used to hunt those west bank yankee camps back in the 80's and I'm going to go out on a limb and say with all the flooding there won't be much relic hunting in there this year.
You are right about that. The fields by the Canal are underwater. The farmer is planting soybeans this year so my only hope is maybe a May hunt

Back