• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Sweet Baked Goods Mincemeat.

mincemeat
(from The Book of Household Management, edited by Isabella Beeton, 1861)

Ingredients:

2 lbs. raisins​
3 lbs. currants​
1-1/2 lb. lean beef​
3 lbs. beef suet​
2 lbs. moist sugar​
2 oz. citron​
2 oz. candied lemon-peel​
2 oz. candied orange-peel,​
1 small nutmeg​
1 pottle of apples​
2 lemons​
1/2 pint brandy​

Instructions:

1309. INGREDIENTS. - 2 lbs. of raisins, 3 lbs. of currants, 1-1/2 lb. of lean beef, 3 lbs. of beef suet, 2 lbs. of moist sugar, 2 oz. of citron, 2 oz. of candied lemon-peel, 2 oz. of candied orange-peel, 1 small nutmeg, 1 pottle of apples, the rind of 2 lemons, the juice of 1, 1/2 pint of brandy.​
Mode. - Stone and cut the raisins once or twice across, but do not chop them; wash, dry, and pick the currants free from stalks and grit, and mince the beef and suet, taking care that the latter is chopped very fine; slice the citron and candied peel, grate the nutmeg, and pare, core, and mince the apples; mince the lemon-peel, strain the juice, and when all the ingredients are thus prepared, mix them well together, adding the brandy when the other things are well blended; press the whole into a jar, carefully exclude the air, and the mincemeat will be ready for use in a fortnight.​
Average cost for this quantity, 8d.​
Seasonable. - Make this about the beginning of December.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Another one of those too sweet for me things, although, from all accounts, my Grandmother's mince pies were some of the best around. The mere mention of mince pies and maple sugar cookies make my teeth hurt to this day. Not much that she made I did not love but those two no thanks. Maybe buckwheat pancakes as well...

Now is the time to scope out your local grocery store “close out” section..usually at the back of the store, or some crazy corner..ask...I would avoid the “rum” added mincemeat..it’s terribly sweet..You can use this item in a pie, or over vanilla ice cream. Especially if you are counting carbs...I will say it is quite good over yogurt based ice cream as well as regular....

Back