Monuments Millidgeville, Ga Monument Damaged

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/milledgeville-civil-war-monument-damage/290829039

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/woman-crashes-into-milledgeville-civil-war-monument/290829217

A woman hit the Confederate War Memorial Monument in Milledgeville last week according to an accident report.

It says Shalise Johnson was heading east on East Greene Street just before 1 a.m. last Thursday, when she came to the intersection at South Jefferson Street.

Johnson says that she was trying to turn left when the accelerator got stuck, and her brakes failed when she tried to stop. She hit the curb and her car left the road, colliding with the monument and landing on top of it.

The report says that two witnesses said ohnson did not try to slow down before turning and hitting the monument. The witnesses also said that she tried to drive her car off the monument, but was unable to.
IMG_1433.jpg
IMG_1434.jpg
IMG_1435.jpg
IMG_1436.jpg
IMG_1437.jpg

Currently the Robert E. Lee Chapter UDC is working to get the monument repaired. They are getting quotes from the Chicora Corporation in Columbia. South Carolina.

Last edited:
I can't wait for the new Liberty mutual insurance commercial

Man: "you have a perfect driving recored, no tickets, no accidents"

Woman :" until one of you rams a confederate monument"

I am no fan of the confederacy but I am even less a fan of vandalism.

GOOD NEWS Just spoke with Nancy with the UDC and she said that the Chicora Corporation out of South Carolina will do the work late winter not sure when. The lady who struck the monument her insurance will pay but the UDC will have to get a crane and other equipment. Also if the solder can't be repaired They may get a new soldier. The progress may be slow but moving along

Ladies and Gentlemen
I posted some pictures here of the damage to the monument in Milledgeville, Georgia back last year. Of course there was a waiting period to get the facts straight and response from the insurance company. Mrs. Kennedy with the UDC emailed me about the current sitation.

Good morning, Barry, I'll bet you thought you would never hear from me again but as I told you last fall, the wheels of insurance turn slowly. We have been negotiating with the insurance ...company and will receive some money from them but, of course, not enough to cover what it will take to make the monument right.
Your kind offer to help us has not been forgotten and now is the time if you or those you know would like to help us . You have such a different audience than we do so if you would like to spread the word, we would greatly appreciate it. No amount is too small and the donors will be recognized.
Anyone wishing to contribute should make donations to
Robert E.Lee115
2181 GA Hwy 22
Devereux, Ga 31087

The group needs around $8000 dollars to get the monument repaired properly. If you are interested in helping please do so. I know money is tight but any donation will be appreciated. Thank you for your support on this.

Back