Militiamen Accused of Rape in Arkansas January 10, 1869

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
I've been looking through period newspapers and can say that in 1869 everybody in Arkansas was screaming "outrage" at everybody else. This is not to judge whether any of it is true or untrue ... only that it is h*llishly hard to sort out. Need more names, or something to go on.

An excerpt from "An account of Colonel Watson's militia operations from the time he left Helena until he returned to that city and mustered out his command is given in the following communication to me from him, dated October 3, 1889:"

"Shortly before this time [sometime after Dec 28th, 1868 in Marion, Ark. from the context of the report], four colored men belonging to the Helena Company committed rape on two white women. I had them arrested and brought before a Court Martial. They admitted their guilt and were sentenced to be shot to death, which sentence was carried into effect. The firing squad in the execution was composed entirely of colored men. They executed their orders without a comment, which shows a good state of discipline for militia. In justice to the colored men of the command I must say they favored the execution of these men in vindication of themselves."

Powell Clayton, Aftermath of the Civil War, in Arkansas (New York: Neale Publishing Company, 1915), 128.

I can not be certain if this is the same event, but I do not see another instance reported by Watson.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
An excerpt from "An account of Colonel Watson's militia operations from the time he left Helena until he returned to that city and mustered out his command is given in the following communication to me from him, dated October 3, 1889:"

"Shortly before this time [sometime after Dec 28th, 1868 in Marion, Ark. from the context of the report], four colored men belonging to the Helena Company committed rape on two white women. I had them arrested and brought before a Court Martial. They admitted their guilt and were sentenced to be shot to death, which sentence was carried into effect. The firing squad in the execution was composed entirely of colored men. They executed their orders without a comment, which shows a good state of discipline for militia. In justice to the colored men of the command I must say they favored the execution of these men in vindication of themselves."

Powell Clayton, Aftermath of the Civil War, in Arkansas (New York: Neale Publishing Company, 1915), 128.

I can not be certain if this is the same event, but I do not see another instance reported by Watson.
Thanks. This may be the same crime.