Military Schools

juliew

Private
My 3rd great grandfather, (William Palmer Pillans, born in Charleston, SC, on 25 March 1823), entered the 2nd Florida Infantry when Florida seceded. He was part of Company L and was given the rank of captain at age 38. He came from Charleston, South Carolina to Madison County about 1843. I assumed that because he was from Charleston, he attended the Citadel. I was wrong. The Citadel had not opened before he left Charleston.
I’m trying to determine where he would have attended school that would have resulted in him entering as a captain. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
My 3rd great grandfather entered the 2nd Florida Infantry when Florida seceded. He was part of Company L and was given the rank of captain at age 38. He came from Charleston, South Carolina to Madison County about 1843. I assumed that because he was from Charleston, he attended the Citadel. I was wrong. The Citadel had not opened before he left Charleston.
I’m trying to determine where he would have attended school that would have resulted in him entering as a captain. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Not necessarily school to become captain...one of my relatives was captain of a company he raised--far as I know, he never attended military school. At that point in the lead-up to the war, $$ spoke loudly. He wouldn't be the only one in both armies to do so. There were also local militia companies before the war where people gained some experience, so you might look for that. He certainly could have attended another local military school that preceded the Citadel....the South was lousy with them. I'm sure someone will come along who can help you more--and we'll need his name, birthdate, etc. so they can help you with a lookup. Good hunting!

Not necessarily school to become captain...one of my relatives was captain of a company he raised--far as I know, he never attended military school. At that point in the lead-up to the war, $$ spoke loudly. He wouldn't be the only one in both armies to do so. There were also local militia companies before the war where people gained some experience, so you might look for that. He certainly could have attended another local military school that preceded the Citadel....the South was lousy with them. I'm sure someone will come along who can help you more--and we'll need his name, birthdate, etc. so they can help you with a lookup. Good hunting!

Thanks Nathanb 1. I never considered this. I just assumed he went to a military school. In looking at the 1860 census, the value of his real estate was $6,000 and for his personal estate, $19,000. So it seems like he could have afforded to buy his way in as a captain. I took your suggestion and edited my original post to include name, and date and place of his birth.

When a company was formed they elected a captain. Often they elected men with some type of military experience, but important local men might get elected who had no military experience. Buying a barrel of whiskey for the men the night before the election was not unknown.

Yes, my one ancestor who was an officer had no military training. He was a doctor (but apparently not interested in the medical service) and had attended college but nothing military-specific. (Incidentally, he and Jeb were classmates at Emory and Henry!) Unless there is some proof of military education, I think it's probably likely he had none.

I'd look for pre-war service in a South Carolina (or Florida) militia unit, possibly with experience in the Seminole Wars. Corporals and Sergeants became Captains in 1860/1861, simply because whatever experience they had trumped those with none.

That said, there's a "Capt Pillans" mentioned (15 times) in this document surveying a route for the 1838 Trail of Tears.
https://www.nps.gov/trte/learn/historyculture/upload/NC_Counties_sm.pdf

If related, could be one of his older brothers or father.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/20636800/william-palmer-pillans

Your man's record with the 2nd FL Infantry.
https://www.fold3.com/browse/1/hKK87_9SPtVI4W4A5g4eMkRcTRhejhi_f

I'd look for pre-war service in a South Carolina (or Florida) militia unit, possibly with experience in the Seminole Wars. Corporals and Sergeants became Captains in 1860/1861, simply because whatever experience they had trumped those with none.

That said, there's a "Capt Pillans" mentioned (15 times) in this document surveying a route for the 1838 Trail of Tears.
https://www.nps.gov/trte/learn/historyculture/upload/NC_Counties_sm.pdf

If related, could be one of his older brothers or father.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/20636800/william-palmer-pillans

Your man's record with the 2nd FL Infantry.
https://www.fold3.com/browse/1/hKK87_9SPtVI4W4A5g4eMkRcTRhejhi_f

Thanks for your help. I looked at the document on the Trail of Tears, and the Pillans mentioned (Palmer Job Pillans) was William's older brother. William was born in 1823, seven years after Palmer Job was born. The findagrave.com site is that of my 2nd great grandfather (not my 3rd ggf! Oops!), William Palmer Pillans. I appreciate the 2nd FL Infantry record.
I will definitely see what I can find as far as pre-war militia units in SC and FL. Thanks!

Last edited:
For example -
Tallahassee Militia in the Third Seminole Wars (1857-1858)[[URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Governor%27s_Guards_(Florida)&action=edit&section=1']edit]
With a renewal of pursuit against the Seminole Indians in South Florida, Captain John Parkhill, a 34 year old prominent citizen of Tallahassee, raised a company of Florida Mounted Volunteers, called the "Leon Volunteers" in July, 1857. The vast majority of his militia were farmers from the local area with a couple of "labourers", and four privates listed in the muster rolls as a saddler, printer, carpenter and mechanic. Most were born in Florida and Georgia, although at least three of his soldiers were born in Germany, and one was from France. Each volunteer provided his own horse. They were called into federal service by the President on July 29 for a term of six months. Captain Parkhill's company of three officers and 76 soldiers moved to Fort Myerswhere they searched for Seminoles hiding in the Everglades. On November 26 Captain Parkhill led a force to burn Seminole crops near Royal Palm Hammock. The next day he led a six-man patrol searching for Indian trails. His patrol was ambushed and he and five soldiers were killed. After his death his First Lieutenant, Theodore W. Brevard, Jr. took command and was promoted to Captain. Captain Parkhill was the most notable fatality among the Florida militia and a monument was erected in front of the Florida capitol by Leon County citizens "as a testimonial of their high esteem for his character and public services". Including Captain Parkhill, 11 soldiers were killed or died while in service, three were discharged with a disability, and one private deserted.[1][/url]

For example -
Tallahassee Militia in the Third Seminole Wars (1857-1858)[[URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Governor%27s_Guards_(Florida)&action=edit&section=1']edit]
With a renewal of pursuit against the Seminole Indians in South Florida, Captain John Parkhill, a 34 year old prominent citizen of Tallahassee, raised a company of Florida Mounted Volunteers, called the "Leon Volunteers" in July, 1857. The vast majority of his militia were farmers from the local area with a couple of "labourers", and four privates listed in the muster rolls as a saddler, printer, carpenter and mechanic. Most were born in Florida and Georgia, although at least three of his soldiers were born in Germany, and one was from France. Each volunteer provided his own horse. They were called into federal service by the President on July 29 for a term of six months. Captain Parkhill's company of three officers and 76 soldiers moved to Fort Myerswhere they searched for Seminoles hiding in the Everglades. On November 26 Captain Parkhill led a force to burn Seminole crops near Royal Palm Hammock. The next day he led a six-man patrol searching for Indian trails. His patrol was ambushed and he and five soldiers were killed. After his death his First Lieutenant, Theodore W. Brevard, Jr. took command and was promoted to Captain. Captain Parkhill was the most notable fatality among the Florida militia and a monument was erected in front of the Florida capitol by Leon County citizens "as a testimonial of their high esteem for his character and public services". Including Captain Parkhill, 11 soldiers were killed or died while in service, three were discharged with a disability, and one private deserted.[1][/url]
Thanks for the info and link. I will check with the Florida Historical Society to see if they have additional information. Appreciate the help.

Back