Military School of Instruction for Irishmen.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
An early Civil War ad to start a military school of instruction for Irishmen. Note the patriotic eagle and slogan. This advertisement is an example of what the Detroit area Irish felt about why other Irishmen should fight for the Union.

Irish ad.jpg

Pat sorry no link as this came from a scan of an advertisement in the Detroit Daily Advertiser of 26 Sep. 1861. For several week the Detroit newspapers reported on this.

Detroit had several pre war "Irish" militia companies In the end many of the Detroit Irishmen joined the Detroit Jackson Guards who had went to Chicago so they could serve in an Irish Brigade. The Military School of Instruction for Irishmen kind of merged with a short lived company called the First Zouaves or Irish American Zouaves of Detroit. An attempt was being made to form a Michigan Irish Regiment at about this time. The 14th Michiagn Infantry was the result and the 14th was sometimes call the Sinclair Irish Regiment or by a similar name.

Last edited:
Pat sorry no link as this came from a scan of an advertisement in the Detroit Daily Advertiser of 26 Sep. 1861. For several week the Detroit newspapers reported on this.

Detroit had several pre war "Irish" militia companies In the end many of the Detroit Irishmen joined the Detroit Jackson Guards who had went to Chicago so they could serve in an Irish Brigade. The Military School of Instruction for Irishmen kind of merged with a short lived company called the First Zouaves or Irish American Zouaves of Detroit. An attempt was being made to form a Michigan Irish Regiment at about this time. The 14th Michiagn Infantry was the result and the 14th was sometimes call the Sinclair Irish Regiment or by a similar name.
Thanks for posting it. It would be interesting to know if immigrants were more attracted to Zouave companies than the native-born were.

Interesting question Pat. I am not sure of the answer. I can say the many of the Michiagn Zouave companies were juveniles or young men, for example age 14 to 18 or age 16 to 21. Detroit had several pre war Irish militia companies, including one for young men.

Interesting question Pat. I am not sure of the answer. I can say the many of the Michiagn Zouave companies were juveniles or young men, for example age 14 to 18 or age 16 to 21. Detroit had several pre war Irish militia companies, including one for young men.
Even the NY 69th had a Zouave company.

Back