Restricted Military Markers in Danger

samgrant said:
From the Houston Chronicle:

"The statues have in recent history become a topic of debate among students, professors and administrators."

Well, is that not the purpose of the University, to promote debate on issues so as to educate?

Instead of using that mailing address or doing a petition liable to get you on someone's email list (and petitions are kind of lame and no one pays much attention to them), go to this link:

http://www.utexas.edu/president/

At the bottom of that page is a way to directly email that U. T. president.

I assure you, the petition system does not release your email to anyone. It is strictly for demographic purposes.
Please, we ask you to send snail mail letters to the president. Our State and brigade planers have thought this out thoroughly and it is the BEST way if you send with the good old stamp and envelope.

"Texas heroes"

mobile_96 said:
Are the statues in question considered Texas heroes, or they persons of other states.
Was the University a benefactor at anytime of the persons these statues represent.
Just a few questions.
Chuck in IL.

Chuck, if I may,

In Texas, as is the same throughout the south, all confederates who fought for there homeland are heroes. But true, the statues in the vicinity are:
“The four statues in question represent Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy, John H. Reagan, postmaster general of the Confederacy and Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Albert Sidney Johnston.” KXAN.com--Austin

There are also reports of statues of George Washington (a slave owner), Martin Luther King Jr. and Cesar Chavez. I see no case in which they are connected directly to Texas.

blue_zouave said:
<<<<This is a statue that honors our Texas ancestors. These statues are not depicting racism or supporting slavery, these statues are we descendants trying to honor our ancestors. >>>>

From what I can tell in reading the various articles, it's the statues of Lee and Jeff Davis that are causing strife. These guys are Texas ancestors? :D I see no mention of a statue of a Confederate soldier from a Texas regiment.

Do Bobby and Jeff have a place on the UT campus? Probably about as much as they do on the BSU campus! (How 'bout them Broncos???)

Zou

Sir,

First as I have mentioned, in the south, we tend to honor everyone who fought for our land.

Second, I consider Lee and Davis as my anscesters because they fought on the same frequency as my literal anscesters.

Third, as I have mentioned, There are statues of George Washington (a slave owner), Martin Luther King Jr. and Cesar Chavez. I see no case in which they are connected directly to Texas. I see no conection between Texas and either of the peoplem listed above.

This is not a matter of sectarian opinion. I personaly along with other people in this campaign, would fight to save union memorials as well. Why? Because it is moraly correct. That is the only way to put it.

Thank you for bringing up your questions,

ole said:
Excellent observation, Zou. They are Confederate icons and, as such, their presence at UT is, in effect, honoring the Confederacy. They might better be replaced by Sam Houston, Davy Crockett or some other uniquely Texas hero. But is not Texas entitled to memorialize one of the six flags that flew over it?

I don't much care what statuary is where. What I resent is a group that objects for no other than politically correct revisionist reasons, to someone else's idea of honor. I would object as much if the SCV wanted to add N.B. Forrest to the UT shrine. Leave it alone.
Ole

Amen! Leave it alone!

Why?

unionblue said:
Ditto on Ole's response,

If UT wants to remove the statues, then let UT tend to UT's business. If they don't want Lincoln or Grant, that's their choice too.

Unionblue

That is a good point. Why, would we want to get into their business.

The fact of the matter is, these statues, along with a dormitory, the lawn accessories, etc. was donated by wealthy Confederate Soldier by the name or George Washington Littlefield. Mr. Littlefield wanted these statues to honor the people he respected. It is stated in the charge of the SCV,

"To you, Sons of Confederate Veterans, we will commit the vindication of the cause for which we fought. To your strength will be given the defense of the Confederate soldier's good name, the guardianship of his history, the emulation of his virtues, the perpetuation of those principles which he loved and which you love also, and those ideals which made him glorious and which you also cherish."
Lt. General Stephen Dill Lee, Commander General,
United Confederate Veterans,
New Orleans, Louisiana, April 25, 1906.
By this we are obligated to resist the removal of these statues.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Judson:
It's very late and I'm very sleepy, but I feel a need to make myself perfectly clear. I don't much care whether UT keeps its statues or allows some snotty goup of agitators to coerce it into removing them. It is UT's problem and UT will have to deal with it. I signed your petition because I resent any outsiders moving in on anything for anyone. Leave it be as it is. No harm, no foul. Jeez!

I understand

Mr. Ole,

Yes, I understand. And although I may not agree with all of the opinions posted, I respect them.
As it was late here while I was posting as well; I hope I did not come across wrong.:smile: I love hearing all of your opinions, its just when trying to defend my heritage, as we all do somtimes, I get a little harsh on the words or overall statments.
I again thank you all for posting your opinions. I know the moderators agree with me that this is a place for 2 and somtimes 5 sided discussion. It helps me emencsly to know what other people thing both southern and northern.

:wink: Thanks

What if?

unionblue said:
Judson,

What if a majority of the students and faculty of UT wants the statues removed? What will be the SCV's postion then?

Sincerely,
Unionblue

I do not beleive that is the case. There was a rally of about 60 sudent and faculty to remove the statues. But that still does not compare to the thousands of students and parents who are in favor of the statues placement.
The SCV's veiw would continue to be the same. The objective here is not to butt into somones business but it is to uphold the charge we were given by the original confederate soldiers.

Thank you all yet again for asking these questions.

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
Don't be too down on aggies, one of these days, pray it be not too soon, the rest of you will get hungary and come looking for help. I went to a pretty good cow college in Raleigh, even has a magnificent library named for Gen. D. H. Hill.

samgrant

Captain
Retired Moderator
I can't get down on the Aggies, I love their creative spellin departmant.

Also, they don't have cheerleaders, they have Yell Leaders.

From an interview of a Yell Leader from "The Daily Texan":

"DT: What do you think is the biggest misconception about Texas A&M cheerleaders or just the school in general?

BW: You mean yell leaders?

DT: Okay, whatever.

BW: Probably the thing you said about the sheep."

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/med...1082304&sourcedomain=www.dailytexanonline.com

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Sorry, Judson. Gettin down on the Aggies has spread from Austin all over the continent. Maybe too many 'horns around?
Ole

ole said:
Sorry, Judson. Gettin down on the Aggies has spread from Austin all over the continent. Maybe too many 'horns around?
Ole

agreed. I really dont get it, but that is not what this thread is about so I will stay on topic.:laugh2:

Thanks, :lee: