Restricted Military Markers in Danger

Military Statues in Danger

Dear Friends and Southerners,

Our Heritage Needs Your Help,

This is Judson Watkins (Camp 2107 8 Brig--TX--ATM---SCV) I need your help. The president of U.T. University at Austin is considering removal of the Confederate statues from the university lawn. This is a statue that honors our Texas ancestors. These statues are not depicting racism or supporting slavery, these statues are we descendants trying to honor our ancestors.

If you would like to help, please send a letter expressing your disgust of the idea of removal. I have an example letter if you would like to email me I would be happy to send you the example.

Address:

The University of Texas at Austin
President's Office
PO Box T
Austin, TX 78713

Thanks,

Judson Watkins

Vote: Should the U.T. of Texas remove its statues of Confederate leaders?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16382232/from/ET/

samgrant

Captain
Retired Moderator
From the Houston Chronicle:

"The statues have in recent history become a topic of debate among students, professors and administrators."

Well, is that not the purpose of the University, to promote debate on issues so as to educate?

Instead of using that mailing address or doing a petition liable to get you on someone's email list (and petitions are kind of lame and no one pays much attention to them), go to this link:

http://www.utexas.edu/president/

At the bottom of that page is a way to directly email that U. T. president.

That petition really doesn't give out your email. I've signed a few before I made this one and I haven't gotten a single spam email.

mobile_96

First Sergeant
statues

Are the statues in question considered Texas heroes, or they persons of other states.
Was the University a benefactor at anytime of the persons these statues represent.
Just a few questions.
Chuck in IL.

samgrant

Captain
Retired Moderator
If it were up to me, I'd keep Lee and dump Davis, but as I mentioned above, it is a great tool for promoting discussion about our history.

They do still teach History at U.T., right?

samgrant

Captain
Retired Moderator
ole said:
Sam:
I believe they call it Social ist Science nowdays.
Ole

Well, you may have something there Ole. I would expect most major universities to have at least one CW Historian or at least a War historian.

I just went to the U. Of Texas website. Finally did find a history department. Then I found a list of faculty member descriptions.

Did a 'find' on the word "civil" and got 5 results. 4 were for "Civil Rights", 1 was for "Civil War".

blue_zouave

Sergeant
<<<<This is a statue that honors our Texas ancestors. These statues are not depicting racism or supporting slavery, these statues are we descendants trying to honor our ancestors. >>>>

From what I can tell in reading the various articles, it's the statues of Lee and Jeff Davis that are causing strife. These guys are Texas ancestors? :D I see no mention of a statue of a Confederate soldier from a Texas regiment.

Do Bobby and Jeff have a place on the UT campus? Probably about as much as they do on the BSU campus! (How 'bout them Broncos???)

Zou

blue_zouave

Sergeant
samgrant said:
Did a 'find' on the word "civil" and got 5 results. 4 were for "Civil Rights", 1 was for "Civil War".

Now Sam, did you search on "War of Northern Aggression" or "War Between the States??"

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
These guys are Texas ancestors?
Excellent observation, Zou. They are Confederate icons and, as such, their presence at UT is, in effect, honoring the Confederacy. They might better be replaced by Sam Houston, Davy Crockett or some other uniquely Texas hero. But is not Texas entitled to memorialize one of the six flags that flew over it?

I don't much care what statuary is where. What I resent is a group that objects for no other than politically correct revisionist reasons, to someone else's idea of honor. I would object as much if the SCV wanted to add N.B. Forrest to the UT shrine. Leave it alone.
Ole

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
N.B. Forrest would do Texas proud. Besides, he may, after a helluva politcal fight, need to move from Memphis. Lots of Tennesseans "went to Texas" for various reasons. The history of the Confederacy must stand the test of time or we will lose a few monuments to political correctness, probably for all the wrong reasons. This country can't seem to leave the past alone. Cape Canaveral was doing fine until the Kennedy woshipers showed up and changed the name. Robert E. Lee was a great man for many different reasons. I suspect the people of Texas know that. Davis, like the other symbols will just have to take their best shots.

samgrant

Captain
Retired Moderator
unionblue said:
Ditto on Ole's response,

If UT wants to remove the statues, then let UT tend to UT's business. If they don't want Lincoln or Grant, that's their choice too.

Unionblue

Perhaps if the did add Lincoln and Grant statues that would resolve the controversy? No, somebody has always got to have a gripe.

Sorry

:smile: First I would like to appologize for being out of touch this weekend and not replying to your comments.

Second, thank you all for your comments. I have heard alot of comments this past week and a bunch of questions, I will address them one at a time...Its easier for me.

Thanks,