Military Intelligence 1861-63 (Part I)

JAGwinn

Sergeant
the report is here, on the CIA website: https://www.cia.gov/library/center-...nce/kent-csi/vol10no3/html/v10i3a09p_0001.htm

APPROVED FOR RELEASE 1994
CIA HISTORICAL REVIEW PROGRAM
18 SEPT 95​
OFFICIAL USE ONLY
A review of information on enemy forces available to the commanders in the first campaigns of the Civil War, its sources and how it was used.
MILITARY INTELLIGENCE 1861-63
Edwin C. Fishel
Part I. From Manassas to Fredericksburg
The intelligence officer who has a due regard for his own morale will do well to pass over the history of the American Civil War. In that vast literature are many accounts of critical decisions in which intelligence is given only an incidental role or none at all. If a piece of intelligence is prominently cited, there is often an implausibility about it: it does not seem strong enough, or relevant enough, to account for the decision taken. When clearly decisive intelligence does appear, it is likely to seem more an act of God than the result of organized effort. The tall-tale memoirs of Union and Confederate spies only add new disappointments: they avoid the relationship between espionage and military events so determinedly as to reinforce the suspicion that maybe intelligence was a business of little substance and effect.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
the report is here, on the CIA website: https://www.cia.gov/library/center-...nce/kent-csi/vol10no3/html/v10i3a09p_0001.htm

18 SEPT 95​
OFFICIAL USE ONLY
A review of information on enemy forces available to the commanders in the first campaigns of the Civil War, its sources and how it was used.
Edwin C. Fishel
The intelligence officer who has a due regard for his own morale will do well to pass over the history of the American Civil War. In that vast literature are many accounts of critical decisions in which intelligence is given only an incidental role or none at all. If a piece of intelligence is prominently cited, there is often an implausibility about it: it does not seem strong enough, or relevant enough, to account for the decision taken. When clearly decisive intelligence does appear, it is likely to seem more an act of God than the result of organized effort. The tall-tale memoirs of Union and Confederate spies only add new disappointments: they avoid the relationship between espionage and military events so determinedly as to reinforce the suspicion that maybe intelligence was a business of little substance and effect.
Per T.J. Stiles " Jesse James last Rebel of the Civil War" General Rosecrans was well aware of General Price's upcoming invasion of Missouri and made excellent preparations to defeat Price.
Leftyhunter

18 SEPT 95​
OFFICIAL USE ONLY
Edwin C. Fishel
Also to be fair to ACW commanders there has been no shortage of intelligence failure's in the US and other militaries up to and including the present era. The CIA not an exception to intelligence failure's.
Leftyhunter

Maybe @Pat Young or @ForeverFree would have information on the spying activities of Harriet Tubman.
Per Margret Storey's book on Unionists in Alabama both General Thomas and Dodge gave aid to and received information from Unionist guerrillas in Alabama.
Leftyhunter

Tom Elmore

Sergeant Major
Member of the Year
I would tend to agree in terms of a systematic approach to intelligence gathering and integration. Cavalry was properly tasked with gathering tactical intelligence on enemy movements, strength, etc. The bigger problem in my mind was the absence of analysts who could sift through what information was available to evaluate the data, and sift the wheat from a lot of chaff. However, the constant throughout history is that human nature accepts that which accords with previously held beliefs, and ignores/dismisses what does not.

Before the war began, Robert B. Morse created a signal cipher with the use of flags, and the men in the signal corps were sworn to uphold its secrecy. When the war broke out one particular officer defected to the south and at the battle of Bull Run used those signals to allow Evans to know he was being flanked at Sudley Springs. Can anyone name the officer?
Lubliner.

USS ALASKA

2nd Lieutenant
Collection; Master of Military Art and Science Theses
Title; Bureau of Military Intelligence in the Chancellorsville Campaign.
Author; DeLew, Christopher
Branch/Country; United States Army

Abstract; This military historical study investigates the effectiveness of the Bureau of Military Information during the Chancellorsville Campaign. The thesis examines the all-source information provided to the Federal army commander during the planning and operational phases of the battle, while scrutinizing the accuracy, timeliness, and relevance of the intelligence collected by this organization. The effectiveness of Colonel Sharpe's bureau is also analyzed by the modern intelligence doctrine standards of Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield. This paper highlights the history of early Civil War intelligence efforts in the east and west, and the organization of General Hooker's secret service after he took command of the Army of the Potomac. The Battle of Chancellorsville served as the bureau's first test in supporting the Union war effort, and this project studies the information collected by the staff section from mid-February to early May 1863. The analysis of the measures of effectiveness from this period indicates the Bureau of Military Information proved its worth to the Union army. The lessons learned from this staff section were not reinstated until the United States Army established a professional Military Intelligence Corps decades after the Civil War. The bureau established a framework for future intelligence organizations, beginning with the Chancellorsville Campaign.

Series; Command and General Staff College (CGSC) MMAS thesis
Focus Program; Military History
Publisher; Fort Leavenworth, KS : US Army Command and General Staff College,
Date; Original 2017-06-09
Date; Digital 2017-06-09
Release statement; Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited. The opinions and conclusions expressed herein are those of the student-authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College or any other governmental agency. (References to these studies should include the foregoing statement.)
Repository; Combined Arms Research Library
Library; Combined Arms Research Library Digital Library
Date created; 2017-07-25

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Attachments

Collection; Master of Military Art and Science Theses
Title; Bureau of Military Intelligence in the Chancellorsville Campaign.
Author; DeLew, Christopher
Branch/Country; United States Army

Abstract; This military historical study investigates the effectiveness of the Bureau of Military Information during the Chancellorsville Campaign. The thesis examines the all-source information provided to the Federal army commander during the planning and operational phases of the battle, while scrutinizing the accuracy, timeliness, and relevance of the intelligence collected by this organization. The effectiveness of Colonel Sharpe's bureau is also analyzed by the modern intelligence doctrine standards of Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield. This paper highlights the history of early Civil War intelligence efforts in the east and west, and the organization of General Hooker's secret service after he took command of the Army of the Potomac. The Battle of Chancellorsville served as the bureau's first test in supporting the Union war effort, and this project studies the information collected by the staff section from mid-February to early May 1863. The analysis of the measures of effectiveness from this period indicates the Bureau of Military Information proved its worth to the Union army. The lessons learned from this staff section were not reinstated until the United States Army established a professional Military Intelligence Corps decades after the Civil War. The bureau established a framework for future intelligence organizations, beginning with the Chancellorsville Campaign.

Series; Command and General Staff College (CGSC) MMAS thesis
Focus Program; Military History
Publisher; Fort Leavenworth, KS : US Army Command and General Staff College,
Date; Original 2017-06-09
Date; Digital 2017-06-09
Release statement; Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited. The opinions and conclusions expressed herein are those of the student-authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College or any other governmental agency. (References to these studies should include the foregoing statement.)
Repository; Combined Arms Research Library
Library; Combined Arms Research Library Digital Library
Date created; 2017-07-25

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
Wow thanks @USS ALASKA, this is incredibly helpful for reviewing. I have it downloaded for some free time. I can test it against the Buell Commission to measure validity, lucidity, and harmony.
Lubliner.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)