Milepost 89 Relics of the Great War of the Rebellion of States

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
About 15 years ago, the town of Clinton, MS wanted to put a rest stop/visitor center to introduce visitors to our town. It's located at Milepost 89 on the Natchez Trace.
The building itself is designed to look like an early 19th century tavern/stand that would have entertained travelers on the Trace.
There is a nice collection of artifacts from Clinton and Champion Hill on display here.

1.jpg

Here's an 1858 model Remington revolver that was found when a local lake dropped below levels when a drought hit us a few years ago. It's been nicely preserved. The guy that found this was actually using a metal detector to locate a friend's car keys and ended up finding this instead!!

2.jpg

These two .58 calibre minie balls actually collided in mid-air during the battle of Champion Hill on May 16, 1863. To find collided bullets like this is VERY rare indeed.

3.jpg

This display features a pretty cool-looking single-shot percussion pistol found near Bolton, MS (near Clinton).

4.jpg

The only complete shell shown in the collection at the visitor center is this one. It's a 3 inch Hotchkiss shell nose with a paper-timed fuze adapter. The grooves you see on the side of the shell allowed flames from the cannon detonation to channel up the side of the shell and ignite the paper fuze which protruded from the copper adapter in the nose of the shell.

5.jpg

Minie balls of all descriptions lie about in the glass displays. Several of these show evidence of being "wormed".

Thanks for letting me share some of the relics from this center. It's well worth a visit if you are ever heading down the Trace in Mississippi.

I found this written on a notecard in one of the cases and it struck me as profound. Please let me share it here:

"We cannot relive yesterday, but we can preserve tomorrow by keeping alive mementos and memories past - so that the future can enjoy and remember the way history was made."
-Unknown-

The collision of bullets in mid-air has always been a fascination to me. Not being a mathematician, I have no idea the statistical odds but it has to be a microscopic occurrence. Yet these continue to be discovered and while rare there are more than I would have expected.

Though if you have double ranks in line formation that are pretty much the same genetic height on both sides standing shoulder to shoulder facing each other and volley firing at 100 yards or less the odds of this happening would be higher?

The collision of bullets in mid-air has always been a fascination to me. Not being a mathematician, I have no idea the statistical odds but it has to be a microscopic occurrence. Yet these continue to be discovered and while rare there are more than I would have expected.

Though if you have double ranks in line formation that are pretty much the same genetic height on both sides standing shoulder to shoulder facing each other and volley firing at 100 yards or less the odds of this happening would be higher?
True...Some are found..But every few.
What makes it even more RARE is when bullets like this collide and are fused together from the impact. What are mathematical odds of that happening?
Most bullets would just deflect I would think.

Back