Mike Foster/Confederate Sharpshooter

tmh10

Major
I promised 16th Va I would get some pictures of the Mike Foster resting place in Forrest Hill, WV as it is close to where I live in Pipestem. Hope no one minds I share them with the board. Ted

IMG_2932_zpsf650dcf2.jpg

IMG_2931_zps208e66bd.jpg

IMG_2934_zps6691be35.jpg

IMG_2935_zpsfb00cb3c.jpg

IMG_2936_zps44ae78ae.jpg

IMG_2937_zpsbd07218f.jpg

That boy was well thought of wasn't he.

Just a little country graveyard in West Virginia, eh tmh10? .... The picture tells a story, "from First Manassas to Appomattox", "personally decorated as the bravest man in the brigade"; "desperately wounded" at the very end, he hangs on until 1875 ...... More than thirty years later, forty years after the war, "comrades and friends" erect a grave-marker for the sharp shooter.

It's hard for me today to properly fathom such deep and abiding respect. That's comradeship. Wondering, I looked up what I could about this Mike Foster; yet how can I really know anything about the personal traits that so inspired those around him? Someone on a thread once asked what Civil War veteran you would most like to meet, or have dinner with? I have at last decided: I would like to meet a man like this (and hopefully he'd tell me the whole story, from beginning to end). :thumbsup:

Just a little country graveyard in West Virginia, eh tmh10? .... The picture tells a story, "from First Manassas to Appomattox", "personally decorated as the bravest man in the brigade"; "desperately wounded" at the very end, he hangs on until 1875 ...... More than thirty years later, forty years after the war, "comrades and friends" erect a grave-marker for the sharp shooter.

It's hard for me today to properly fathom such deep and abiding respect. That's comradeship. Wondering, I looked up what I could about this Mike Foster; yet how can I really know anything about the personal traits that so inspired those around him? Someone on a thread once asked what Civil War veteran you would most like to meet, or have dinner with? I have at last decided: I would like to meet a man like this (and hopefully he'd tell me the whole story, from beginning to end). :thumbsup:
16thva has a lot more information on Foster. It was him that told me where he was. I was suprised to learn he was so close. I promised Bob I would get out there and get some pictures. When he sees the thread, he may add more to the story of this almost unknown hero.

When I was in the cemetary taking these pictures I noticed a lot of newer markers for the Foster family. I will have to check with my brother in law who lives near there about survivors that may still live in Forrest Hill to see what information on Mike that was passed on to them.

Expired Image Removed
Expired Image Removed
Expired Image Removed
Expired Image Removed

Nice work, Ted, thanks very much, I'll put the photos up on the website. The above text is from The History of Summers County, by James Henry Miller.
I hope the pictures were suitable for your purpose Bobby Lee. I saw names on headstones of people mentioned in your post. Im sure I saw Bessie McNeer and several others.

This thread is illustrative of this board. I personally, don't care about Mike Foster, but enough do to make a decent discussion of him, his whereabouts, his accomplishments, and his resting place.

That's just me. I am gratified to see that others find things interesting that I don't. In the supermarket, I rarely buy aparagas and never eggplant or squash. Others do. This is a supermarket board. Pick and choose. Most everything is here.

And it can get finer. I like liver and bacon and onions. My wife has to be out of town before I can indulge, and then only in the summer when I can vacate the smell.

We get along just fine. And, this board and it's various forums and thread can, as well. All it takes is a little give and take. And a willingness to not get offended at little things.

I'll suspect that many, if not most, have experienced what I'm talking about. Yes, we have some younger members who have not, but they will.

One has to go along to get along. This is a debating society; not a catfight over who wins the tabby.

Back