Michigan city seeks expert to discuss future of Custer site

Belfoured

2nd Lieutenant
Leigh , I would highly recommend that you read Eric Wittenberg's book "Protecting the Flank at Gettysburg; The Battles for Brinkerhoff Ridge and the East Cavalry Field." It is an excellent account of the action . There still is no solid evidence that Stuart was given orders to attack the Union rear . Eric isn't a big fan of Custer , but his research is first rate . That being said I think Custer's leadership at the battle was outstanding . Perhaps a general shouldn't personally lead his men in a charge , but the charge of the heavily out-numbered 1st Michigan with Custer leading the way is one of those things I would have liked to have witnessed . Ken Burns called it a "reckless charge."That still irritates me after all these years . Of course he also claimed the 20th Maine saved the Union and the battle started over shoes .
It became popular to attack Custer's reputation in the 1960s and 70s. If James N. is reading this he knows how I feel about the awful movie "Little Big Man." He feels the same . I am a fan of Custer during the Civil War , but I don't think he was the same man fighting the Indians . As an aside , in Vine DeLoria's book "Custer Died for Your Sins" , he stated that calling some one an Indian was an insult . Recent studies have shown that currently Native Americans prefer the term "Indian." Things change .
Some prefer NA, some prefer "Indian", and many actually prefer the tribal/nation name. As with all things, I'd advise against too broad a brush. As for Custer, I haven't seen any objective military analyst use his actions in June 1876 as a model for recon, command and control.

Jomini

Private
Why is Custer considered to be a 'Bad Guy' and his Indian opponents the embodiment of all that is Good.

Kurt G

Sergeant Major
Some prefer NA, some prefer "Indian", and many actually prefer the tribal/nation name. As with all things, I'd advise against too broad a brush. As for Custer, I haven't seen any objective military analyst use his actions in June 1876 as a model for recon, command and control.
The Canadians call them "First Nations." Is this controversial ? To me it seems reasonable .

Belfoured

2nd Lieutenant
The Canadians call them "First Nations." Is this controversial ? To me it seems reasonable .
That was adopted to replace "Indians", which was objected to. It also serves to distinguish from Inuits and Metis. I don't know that "controversial" is the accurate term - just as here, there are groups that use and prefer the band/tribal name instead. "Indians" was "controversial".

J C J Barefoot

Private
I actually am a big proponent of a lot more education and awareness about the War of 1812 in this country - which still tends to be limited to Francis Scott Key, the burning of the Capitol, and the Battle of New Orleans (maybe with some "garnishment" of the USS Constitution). There were a lot of important events in the Niagara/"Upper Canada", the Chesapeake, the Lakes, and the "northwestern" and southern "frontiers" that a large part of the population just doesn't know about. That's why I was happy to see the ABT a few years ago adding AWI and War of 1812 sites to their preservation efforts.
In Perrysburg Ohio you can visit Fort Meigs where General William Henry Harrison defended two sieges from the British and an Indians. This battle was second only to New Orleans in the war of 1812. This is the largest restored Fort in the US. It has a very good visitor center. Ft. Meigs is beautifully maintained and there is an annual 1812 reenactment weekend. A short drive accros the river from the Fort into Maumee Ohio is the former site of Ft. Miami. A ten minute drive west from Ft Meigs will take you to the monuments and sites of the Battle of Fallen Timbers where Anthony Wayne sealed the deal for the treaty of Greenville. Drive less than an hour north to Monroe for Custer's home. Drive an hour west to Port Clinton and you can take the ferry out on Lake Erie to Put-In-Bay the island monument to see where Perry defeated the Brits at the Battle of Lake Erie and you can also visit Johnson Island the Union prison. If you like excellent art the Toledo Museum of Art is a stunner and is ranked in the top 10 in the US.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
In Perrysburg Ohio you can visit Fort Meigs where General William Henry Harrison defended two sieges from the British and an Indians. This battle was second only to New Orleans in the war of 1812. This is the largest restored Fort in the US. It has a very good visitor center. Ft. Meigs is beautifully maintained and there is an annual 1812 reenactment weekend. A short drive accros the river from the Fort into Maumee Ohio is the former site of Ft. Miami. A ten minute drive west from Ft Meigs will take you to the monuments and sites of the Battle of Fallen Timbers where Anthony Wayne sealed the deal for the treaty of Greenville. Drive less than an hour north to Monroe for Custer's home. Drive an hour west to Port Clinton and you can take the ferry out on Lake Erie to Put-In-Bay the island monument to see where Perry defeated the Brits at the Battle of Lake Erie and you can also visit Johnson Island the Union prison. If you like excellent art the Toledo Museum of Art is a stunner and is ranked in the top 10 in the US.
I am going to Maumee either to tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning for a weekend get away with my wife for her birthday. She has some quilt shops and antique shops she plans on visiting, I should have most of Saturday to see some historical sites. I have been to Fort Meigs but not the Battle of Fallen Timbers or Fort Miami. I was hoping to to have enough time on Saturday to see all of them. My home in Lansing is a three or four hour drive so I could stay in the Maumee area until five o'clock or so and still get home Saturday night.

Belfoured

2nd Lieutenant
Excellent. I have heard of these but never visited. The ABT saved 25 acres at Sacket's Harbor in NY, which was significant on the war on Lake Ontario. I have also been to the Erie Maritime Museum and the replica of the USS Niagara, both of which are well worth the visit.

J C J Barefoot

Private
I am going to Maumee either to tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning for a weekend get away with my wife for her birthday. She has some quilt shops and antique shops she plans on visiting, I should have most of Saturday to see some historical sites. I have been to Fort Meigs but not the Battle of Fallen Timbers or Fort Miami. I was hoping to to have enough time on Saturday to see all of them. My home in Lansing is a three or four hour drive so I could stay in the Maumee area until five o'clock or so and still get home Saturday night.
Fort Miami has little to see but it is at most 15 minutes from Fort Meigs. It gives perspective though and is worth a short visit. Fallen Timbers is well worth it. Both sites will take no more than a half hour each. If you go to Ft. Miegs again consider driving in to Perrysburg just four blocks east and take a look at the Commadore Perry Monument on front street. There are some antique shops there as well. Just be aware the Maumee River this weekend will be packed with a coupe thousand Walleye Fishermen. It's the second or third largest Walleye run east of the Mississippi. Hope you enjoy it.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Fort Miami has little to see but it is at most 15 minutes from Fort Meigs. It gives perspective though and is worth a short visit. Fallen Timbers is well worth it. Both sites will take no more than a half hour each. If you go to Ft. Miegs again consider driving in to Perrysburg just four blocks east and take a look at the Commadore Perry Monument on front street. There are some antique shops there as well. Just be aware the Maumee River this weekend will be packed with a coupe thousand Walleye Fishermen. It's the second or third largest Walleye run east of the Mississippi. Hope you enjoy it.
We did Fort Meigs and the Battle of Fallen Timbers and both were nice. The road to Fort Miami was closed so we skipped that.

United Tribes of Michigan approve efforts to remove "Indian Killer" Custer monument​

Blake Bacho
The Monroe News - May 28, 2021

The United Tribes of Michigan have formally voiced support for ongoing efforts to remove the City of Monroe's controversial Gen. George Armstrong Custer monument from its current location at the corner of St. Mary's Park.
At its meeting last week the UTM, based in Harbor Springs, unanimously approved a resolution of support calling for "immediate (City of Monroe) action to remove the Custer monument from downtown Monroe."
" ...the Custer monument was unveiled in 1910 by President William Howard Taft and approved by White settlers seeking to assert their superiority and dominance," the resolution reads. "(It) is widely perceived as offensive and a painful public reminder of the legacy of Indigenous people's genocide and present realities of systemic racism in our country... Custer is notoriously known as the "Indian Killer"... Custer's military record was poor. He was a West Point delinquent and failure, and would not have been appointed as an officer if the Union was not in dire need of soldiers. Custer was demoted from the rank of General and died as a Lieutenant Colonel... Custer does not deserve any glory, nor the right to further torment minoritized citizens 145 years postmortem...
"African American, Native American, and allied residents of the City of Monroe have issued a clear call to remove this monument as expeditiously as possible due to the harm it poses."
UTM Executive Director Frank Ettawageshik explained that the resolution was specifically intended as a show of support for the ongoing, combined efforts of the Anishinaabek Caucus of the Michigan Democratic Party and Good Trouble Monroe, a local activist group led by Katybeth Davis and Dr. Graham Denton, which has spent the past year appealing to city officials to remove, relocate or modify the Custer statue.

Monroe City Council recently voted to bring in an outside person or firm to mediate a series of discussions with community members regarding the future of the monument.
"I am very grateful that we now have support from the Anishinaabek Caucus of the Michigan Democratic Party and the United Tribes of Michigan to remove or relocate the General Custer monument," Davis said in a statement to the Monroe News. "I am hopeful that Monroe City Council will hear the voices of the Native Americans and have the courage to make the decision to move the statue on their own...We will continue in our efforts for equality and accountability until the statue is removed or relocated."

Ettawageshik emphasized that the City of Monroe is not being singled out by the UTM, which he said regularly looks to address what it feels is the misrepresentation of Custer's legacy across the United States.
"This is not a brand new position for the tribes," he said of the resolution. "It's sort of a longstanding policy of the United Tribes of Michigan to be supportive of change when it comes to things named in honor of Custer."
Anishinaabek Caucus Vice Chair Thomas Stephens said that the removal of the monument would be a significant step in the continuing healing process for the indigenous tribes that were ravaged and/or forced off of their ancestral lands during the country's formative years.
"Custer basically represents a terrible part of history," Stephens said. "He was a self-proclaimed Indian fighter, and he performed mass genocide... With the removal of the statue, this would help us as a people move one step along in kind of healing from what's happened to us."
The Anishinaabek Caucus and Good Trouble Monroe have planned a "Custer Falls Again" rally for June 25. The event begins at 4:30 p.m. at the Custer Monument. For more information, visit www.goodtroublemonroe.org or www.anishinaabekcaucus.org.