Merry Christmas

From the "Civil War Letters of Louis Lehmann" by Edmund Louis Burnett. The letters from Private Lehmann to his wife in Washington County, Texas provide the modern reader an excellent look into the service of an enlisted soldier in the Trans-Mississippi Department. Louis was a German immigrant who enlisted in a company made up of men mostly from Washington County. In November 1863, his company had been assigned to a new regiment at Houston. Company "D" was commanded by Captain James Gray in Likens' 35th Texas Cavalry. The regiment had been ordered to Brazoria County on the Gulf Coast to oppose the expected Federal invasion. Several regiments were camped in the vicinity called Camp Wharton on Jones Creek, a few miles from the Gulf. The following is only one day taken from a much longer letter written over several days from December 18th through the 30th much like a diary.

"Beloved Friederieke,
Friday, 25th December
Today is Christmas, I can't honor the day more than being with you in my thoughts and to write this note down. Last night we sang Christmas carols, it was already after 9 o'clock and after we had sung for about 15 minutes, the Captain sent word that we had to stop, because it was after nine. We were bitter, but we had to obey. The day before at another location, they stopped an evening service; they are keeping us very strict - they can draw a bow until it snaps, signs of this are mounting. We had baked ourselves a sweet cake out of rye flour, the sugar and molasses we had and cloves I still had, and the little alcohol I still had made a little punch.The 2nd feast day everybody received 2 lbs of flour so that we could bake a sweet cake, but all this was a sorry substitute, because our loved ones were missing. Yes, we are not having much idle time now, the guards are making rounds too often. Yes, we are not having much idle time now, the guards are making rounds too often. We are one brigade (3 regiments) in camp, and all around in a distance of about 80-100 yards is a guard, day and night. Every day about 80 men have to pull guard duty. Besides all roads and bridges are guarded, and the patrols are riding around day and night to catch every deserter. In addition to guard duty we have drills twice a day and that doesn't leave much idle time."

Merry Christmas to you my Friend. Hope all is well.
905_1024x1024@2x.jpg

And all the same to you and yours my friend. Merry Christmas
thank you sir! im still not quite sure on how to post on this site But Ill learn! =) its been a while a marine quote; i probly get into trouble for this but i also research WW2 history marine s battle of the bulge some astounding history there ) if cant post this just delete (yikes)
well i just upgraded my membership to 'Warm Blanket' =)

Last edited:
Back