1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Men of Hood's Texas Brigade

Discussion in 'Other Notable Biographies' started by AUG351, Dec 1, 2013.

1. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. AUG351

AUG351 Captain Forum Host

I was wondering if there was any further info on Pvt. Andrew Jackson Read. Also interested in Les Jensen's examination of the Chicago/Camp Douglas Confederate prisoners photograph in that issue as well.
    Thanks

OldBrainsHalleck likes this.
  4. civilken

civilken 2nd Lieutenant

once again I do not recall answering this particular post chances are I might have.. The only thing I can say about general hoods man was when Sam Watkins said the man wanted to leave after they heard he had taken over from JohnsonI know everyone's going to say that after the war they all loved him maybe they did but during the war even forest wanted to shoot him.

5. AUG351

Bump for anniversary of Gaines' Mill.

polk_j_m.jpg
    Postwar photo of James M. Polk, who served in Co. I "Navarro Rifles", 4th Texas Infantry. Born and raised in Missouri, Polk settled in Navarro County, Texas, at 21 years old in 1859. In July 1861 he enlisted in Capt. Clinton M. Winkler's Navarro Rifles. He was wounded in the arm at Gaines' Mill and again at Chickamauga, a minie ball entering his head in the temple in front of the right ear and lodging in the back of his head. He was sent to Richmond and the bullet was later removed by a surgeon. Recovering by March 1864, at the request of General Hood, Polk was commissioned captain on December 18, 1863, and transported back to the Trans-Mississippi, where he joined Gen. Sterling Price's army in Arkansas. Why he didn't rejoin the Texas Brigade isn't clear, but perhaps he decided he'd rather fight for his native Missouri, or at least closer to home, whether it be Missouri or Texas. He was later captured on a secret recruiting mission in St. Louis and was imprisoned in Alton, Illinois, from June 29, 1864, until the end of the war.

More on Polk: http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txnavarr/biographies/p/polk_j_m.htm

His memoir, The Confederate Soldier; and Ten Years in South America can be read online here: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433115688214;view=2up;seq=6

Here is Polk's wooden canteen: https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2856M/lots/163

captaindrew, James S. and CMWinkler like this.
  6. James N.

Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

That canteen's a beauty!

identified-4th-texas-gardner-pattern-canteen.jpg

7. kmdillon

kmdillon Cadet

Hello! Forgive me, I'm still learning the quirks of the forum, so I hope this message looks ok! I know this particular post is several years old, but I'm curious if there is a source listed for the third picture (the one with the 7 standing in front of the cabin) and if the men in the picture have been identified? The young man in the middle of the third picture looks very much like my great great grandfather, who was in the 1st Texas regiment, Company L. I'd love to find out if there is any information on who they are to verify!

8. Phiip McBride

Phiip McBride Private

My ancestor, Captain JJ McBride, of Co. C, 5th Texas Infantry, the 'Leon Hunters.' Wounded in the shoulder at 2nd Manassas, and again in the hips at The Wilderness serving as acting major of the regiment. Served as the Treasurer of Hood's Brigade Veteran Organization until his death in 1879. He was the only one of the 100 old vets at one reunion to vote against sending a sympathy card to the widow of General Custer. Uncle JJ Portrait 001.jpg

This is my amateur photo of his post-war oil painting portrait. Pretty primitive, but conveys a firm countenance.

9. AUG351

Welcome! Sorry, I don't have their IDs and I don't think they were ever recorded, but they may well be from Company L, since that series of images was taken by Solomon T. Blessing who was a member of the company.

Though he doesn't mention anything about the photographs, you might be interested in reading Blessing's account of his service here: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/hoods-texas-brigade.130089/page-4#post-1535820

10. Jimklag

Jimklag Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Agree
    Agreed wholeheartedly.

AUG351 likes this.
  11. J. D. Stevens

J. D. Stevens Private

This is an old thread, but since there has been some recent postings, I figured it was time to throw in my two cents.

Willis J. Watts (1838-1918) was born in South Carolina and moved with his parents to Anderson County, Texas. Willis was 23 when he enlisted at Palestine, Texas on April 5, 1862 as a private in Company “G”, 1st Regiment Texas Infantry. His brother and two first cousins enlisted at the same time and all served in Company "G". According to his Service Records, Willis was wounded at Chickamauga in 1863 and again at Wilderness in 1864. On March 11, 1865, only a month prior to Lee's surrender at Appomattox, Willis wrote a letter to one of his relations back in Texas. He wrote he had been wounded 6 times. The two previously mentioned in his Service Records and four times by shell fragments which were painful, but he did not consider serious. Of the four Watts boys, only Willis was still in service at Appomattox. His younger brother and one cousin had been disabled by wounds and furloughed back to Texas. His other cousin died of disease in June 1862.

It appears this post war photo of Willis Watts was taken at or around the time he attended a reunion. Can anyone identify the reunion badge? I would like to know the year and location of the reunion if possible. Thanks.

WJ Watts Picture_Ancestry Tree.jpg

8thFlorida, Nathanb1 and AUG351 like this.
  12. AUG351

Thank you both for sharing your ancestors' photos and service; that is what this thread is for. Sure sounds like they both went through the wringer with the brigade.

@J. D. Stevens, below is a reunion badge from the 40th annual Hood's Texas Brigade reunion in 1912. I can't say if the ribbon is the same but that appears to be the same button with a picture of Hood on it.

civil-war-40th-reunion-badge-hoods-texas-brigade_1_cb3b75fa15474858c6da208a100f9462.jpg

Also, in case you haven't seen them, there were a few members of Company G, 1st Texas posted at the bottom of the previous page.

13. AUG351

Since this was bumped last night I'll add a couple more photos I had saved. Source is "'Rarin' for a Fight': Texans in the Confederate Army" by Ralph A. and Robert Wooster in the Southwestern Historical Quarterly 84 (April 1981).

Pvt. James J. Smith, Co. E, 5th Texas Infantry.jpg
    Private James J. Smith, Company E "Dixie Blues," 5th Texas Infantry.

SMITH, J. J. - Prom., 2Cpl.: W. (arm), 2nd Manassas (Aug.30, 1862): Prom., Sgt.: W., Gettysburg (July 2, 1863): Disabled: Furloughed to Tex.

Pvt. William R. Smith, Co. D, 4th Texas Infantry.jpg
    Private William R. Smith, Company D "Guadalupe Rangers/Knights of Guadalupe County," 4th Texas Infantry.

SMITH, WM. R. - Prom., SSgt., Summer, 1862: W., Antietam (Sept. 17, 1862): K., Chickamauga (Sept.19, 1863).

14. James N.

Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

I recognize this pair of portraits from a back issue of the wonderful but unfortunately now-defunct Confederate Calendar published annually by Lawrence Jones of Austin, Texas.

AUG351 likes this.
  15. J. D. Stevens

J. D. Stevens Private

Thanks for the picture of the reunion badge. Its similar to the one Willis is wearing in his picture. Even if its from a different reunion, its a good picture. I saved the picture to the file I keep on the Watts family.

AUG351 likes this.
  16. kmdillon

kmdillon Cadet

Thank you! I'll be sure to read through that. I've read snippets here and there about Blessing, and I find it fascinating that he was still able to get his hands on supplies to take pictures.

AUG351 and James S. like this.
  17. JohnnyP

JohnnyP Cadet

zTexasBrigadeConfederate.JPG Texas-brigade-JohnBellHood-tintype.jpg Hello, I'm new here to the forum. I did some searching on the internet for information related to John Bell Hood and his Texas Brigade during the Civil War and found this site. I was told long ago that this soldier was a member of the Texas Brigade under the leadership of John Bell Hood and I have his name on file somewhere which I am still trying to locate. I was told it is considered a 1/9 plate tintype. I thought I would share it here on this Civil War thread and would very much appreciate any feedback on it. If you look closely towards the top of the image, you can read the words, Neffs Patent etc.... It also appears that his hand over his waist is covering either perhaps a pistol or a belt buckle of some kind.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  18. James N.

Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

The Neff's Patent is I believe for the brass mat used on the photograph. It's small size is known as a ninth plate because nine this size could be made from a standard full-plate-sized piece of tin or glass. The (probably brass) stars on his tunic were popular symbols that were pretty commonly used by soldiers from both Texas and Mississippi. That's a great photo and I hope you can find out more about him - welcome to the forums!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Nathanb1 likes this.
  19. captaindrew

captaindrew First Sergeant

20. AUG351

Excellent image! Thanks for sharing it here and welcome to the forum. Nothing immediately comes to mind as far as his uniform goes. First thought was that is a Mississippi Rifle he's holding, but now I'm not so certain; looks like it might have three bands. I'm eager to hear what his name is.

21. 8thFlorida

8thFlorida Corporal

Great post. Thank you for putting this together.

AUG351 likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)